Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for reporting of actual cases of receiving status when short of one of the status requirement and not qualified for a waiver of that requirement -- PQS/PQM/PQD/4 Segments/....

Speculative discussion is going on it
Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?
Will UA grant higher status if short PQMs but over PQDs?
Print Wikipost

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Per Gary at VFTW, looks like that pesky $10K minimum spend might have chased away a few too many 1Ks for UA's taste:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....tatus-members/
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:48 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Per Gary at VFTW, looks like that pesky $10K minimum spend might have chased away a few too many 1Ks for UA's taste:
How you reached that conclusion is beyond me. UA is simply rewarding the 1Ks who stuck with them—but didn't quite qualify. It is nothing new—nor particularly newsworthy—for UA to help worthy Premiers across the finish line. Happens every year. UA's largess constitutes no indication whatsoever that it is worried—or even cares—about the 1Ks who jumped ship. Period.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
How you reached that conclusion is beyond me. UA is simply rewarding the 1Ks who stuck with them—but didn't quite qualify. It is nothing new—nor particularly newsworthy—for UA to help worthy Premiers across the finish line. Happens every year. UA's largess constitutes no indication whatsoever that it is worried—or even cares—about the 1Ks who jumped ship. Period.
We'll agree to disagree. It's not like he was a few hundred bucks short of $10K.

The poster cited in his article is a 5-6 CPM flyer - precisely the type of over-entitled, lower-revenue 1K UA is trying to downgrade. Their credit card spend is irrelevant, as it doesn't factor into the 1K qualification waiver.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Titanium; Priority Club Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RNE
I am in a similar situation to the United 1K in Gary's post EXCEPT I quit flying for the year at 97,515 PQM's. I had over $6000 PQDs and met the $25,000 Chase waiver. I've been a 1K for 4 years and various levels of Premier with United on and off since 1989. Since I knew there was "no way" I was going to make 1K, I just didn't take any more trips. Now, I'm sorry I didn't make a quick MR somewhere just to test the waters.

Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Gifted 1K Status for 2015 due to "Long-Term Commitment'

I know Gary at View From the Wing posted about this the other day, but I mentally disregarded it because I figured it wouldn't apply to me.

I just logged in to mystatus.united.com and saw this nice bit of news at the top: "Because of your long-term commitment to United, we're pleased to award you Premier 1K status for 2015."

I'm fly for leisure and all travel is self-funded. I'm not sure what the criteria is for this gift of status, as I had resolved to be a Plat in 2015. I closed out 2014 at 102,021 miles flown, and only $3,978 in PQDs. I did, however, put well over $35K in spend on my MP Explorer card. I've also been a 1K with United for the last 5 years, and a 1P for a year prior to that.

If there's one thing I've learned from FT, it's not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I had already started shifting some flying to AA, but this may in fact be a game changer for me.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I know Gary at View From the Wing posted about this the other day, but I mentally disregarded it because I figured it wouldn't apply to me.

I just logged in to mystatus.united.com and saw this nice bit of news at the top: "Because of your long-term commitment to United, we're pleased to award you Premier 1K status for 2015."

I'm fly for leisure and all travel is self-funded. I'm not sure what the criteria is for this gift of status, as I had resolved to be a Plat in 2015. I closed out 2014 at 102,021 miles flown, and only $3,978 in PQDs. I did, however, put well over $35K in spend on my MP Explorer card. I've also been a 1K with United for the last 5 years, and a 1P for a year prior to that.

If there's one thing I've learned from FT, it's not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I had already started shifting some flying to AA, but this may in fact be a game changer for me.
This is amazing.

My friend has 100,500 PQM and $8200 PQD in 2014. He is 15-year 1K, and almost 2 MM.

No gift 1K.

Do you get 6 GPU?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992
This is amazing.

My friend has 100,500 PQM and $8200 PQD in 2014. He is 15-year 1K, and almost 2 MM.

No gift 1K.

Do you get 6 GPU?
UA can gift status w/o the instruments. Instruments are usually granted with earned status. I'm sure there are some 1Ks that have been 1Ks for a long time but are not considered valuable because of their revenue record. Maybe you friend (at 8 cents/mile, at least for last year) hasn't cleared a value hurdle of some kind. It'll be interesting to hear reports of length of status, average spend, etc that do/do not lead to gifted status.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
This is amazing.

No gift 1K.

Do you get 6 GPU?
Does your friend have a Chase UA CC? I know it says the waiver does not apply for 1K but I think in this case it created some goodwill. Kind of ticks me off a little though as I had over $15K PQD's and 82K PQM's, been with UA since 1997 with many years as a 1K. No gift for me (don't expect one either as I did not fly the miles) So I would say is most likely there is a hidden waiver for 1K if you meet other criteria.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Now I am not sure what to make of this language for Mrs. IADFLYER's mystatus page:"Enjoy your 2015 Premier Silver status, with all the benefits and services that come with it.". She was sitting at 24,440 PQM and $3031 PQD. Does this mean she made the cut?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Baze
Does your friend have a Chase UA CC? I know it says the waiver does not apply for 1K but I think in this case it created some goodwill. Kind of ticks me off a little though as I had over $15K PQD's and 82K PQM's, been with UA since 1997 with many years as a 1K. No gift for me (don't expect one either as I did not fly the miles) So I would say is most likely there is a hidden waiver for 1K if you meet other criteria.
No. He does not have UA CC. But he was a HVF few years ago.

He submitted change of address request last month since he has an apartment in HK.

Still waiting to hear from MP. Not sure if it's too late.

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Now I am not sure what to make of this language for Mrs. IADFLYER's mystatus page:"Enjoy your 2015 Premier Silver status, with all the benefits and services that come with it.". She was sitting at 24,440 PQM and $3031 PQD. Does this mean she made the cut?
Did you see this? If yes, she made Silver.

Congratulations, you've earned Premier Silver status for 2015.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Did you see this? If yes, she made Silver.

Congratulations, you've earned Premier Silver status for 2015.[/QUOTE]

Sadly that doesn't show up for her. I was hoping she would get a soft landing, but if not I will wait for an email to purchase 560 PQM (sometime later this month).

You are right - my 1K status page shows Congratulations, you have earned Premier 1K for 2015.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Silver, 0.9MM
For two different years I was granted level-ups (Silver>Gold) when I didn't make the PQM requirements. On one of those occasions I was off by over 17,000 miles.

Just takes a little social engineering ;-)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
UA becoming even more opaque - who would've guessed??
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is like schools that grade on the curve. They are looking for certain percentages at each level for certain areas. So they fudge their requirements to maintain those numbers. Though it is strange that with their disdain for elites that they would fudge the numbers up and not down.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Just like many risk models, UA's internal criteria is probably some really complex decision tree. It's not like they want to be opaque - normal folks would go nuts if publish a criteria that says "if you hit any one of these 116 conditions, you made 1K"

Originally Posted by Baze
UA is like schools that grade on the curve. They are looking for certain percentages at each level for certain areas. So they fudge their requirements to maintain those numbers. Though it is strange that with their disdain for elites that they would fudge the numbers up and not down.
The PQD requirement is already the "fudge down"

Imagine the public outrage if u login and see "100,500 PQM, $10,007 PQD, platinum status achieved" because they decided to fudge down ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 2015 at 10:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.