Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: raehl311
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 31, 18, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

After an EWR to SFO flight which I intend to be my last of the year, I’ll be 22 (that’s right, twenty two) PQM short of Silver. I’ll have exceeded the PQD requirement.

Chance of still getting Silver? I can choose a layover instead of a direct flight on the way home to get the extra PQM but would much prefer not to.

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 18 at 6:56 pm Reason: created new thread
Old Nov 1, 18, 7:06 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by eab6287 View Post
After an EWR to SFO flight which I intend to be my last of the year, Iíll be 22 (thatís right, twenty two) PQM short of Silver. Iíll have exceeded the PQD requirement.

Chance of still getting Silver? I can choose a layover instead of a direct flight on the way home to get the extra PQM but would much prefer not to.

Thanks!
if you want Silver I would take the connection. Other choice is to purchase PQMs but think there is a minimum increment and at this time of year a bit expensive.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 1MM
+1 to connect and hit silver. I would not count on UA granting you Silver even if only 22 PQM short. Buying the PQM will be rather expensive. I think I've only done that once to pick up an extra 2 GPUs, otherwise I felt like the price was too high.
Old Nov 6, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
After an EWR to SFO flight which I intend to be my last of the year, Iíll be 22 (thatís right, twenty two) PQM short of Silver. Iíll have exceeded the PQD requirement.

Thanks!
The only way I manage to get to Silver each year is taking as many connections as possible throughout the year. I really don't mind most of the time, and since I have a club card, I can spend a little time in the lounge while I'm at it.
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Even though the differences between Gold and Platinum have been minimized, would appreciate anyone's thoughts on my situation. Currently, my year-end numbers will be 71,713 PQM and $18,036 PQD. Might my PQD be high enough to get Platinum without meeting my PQM? Also - is this something I would need to proactively request?
Old Nov 7, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, *G, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pears View Post
Even though the differences between Gold and Platinum have been minimized, would appreciate anyone's thoughts on my situation. Currently, my year-end numbers will be 71,713 PQM and $18,036 PQD. Might my PQD be high enough to get Platinum without meeting my PQM? Also - is this something I would need to proactively request?
My friend had 74,992 PQM last year and UA allowed her to maintain Platinum, but don't count on UA being so kind. You will need 75,000 PQM no matter how much higher your PQD is.
1P likes this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ftusername View Post
My friend had 74,992 PQM last year and UA allowed her to maintain Platinum, but don't count on UA being so kind. You will need 75,000 PQM no matter how much higher your PQD is.
It doesn't hurt to ask, although I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a smaller PQM gap. I had a similar gap and got it, but had extenuating circumstances.

My situation a few years back was that I ended the year with about 72k PQM, but that was because I had an ORD-LHR round-trip turn into a trip in vain due to mechanical issues with the aircraft*. After 7 hours on the plane sitting on the apron + another hour or so in the terminal, they eventually cancelled the flight. After contacting UA with the situation and requesting Plat status anyway, they confirmed that they would make an exception. Feb 1 rolled around and I was still Platinum.

*I had a 4pm flight in December. It was starting to snow pretty heavily. After pulling back from gate and deicing, they determined that one of the forward doors was leaking deicing fluid. Would have to return to gate, but all gates were in use due to snow delays. After about 3 hours on the apron, we finally pulled back in. I got out around 7pm, re-boarded around 8pm, pulled back out, and started deicing. Issue wasn't fixed. Again, all the gates were full, so we ended up waiting on the apron for close to another 4 hours. By the time we go back off the plane, it was around midnight and we had spent the equivalent of the entire flight duration in the plane sitting on the apron. I had a couple snacks, watched 2 movies, did some work, took a nap, and read several chapters of my book. Rather than standing in line to get rebooked, I just decided to go home and sleep, since my meeting was at 11am-5pm GMT / 5am US CT the next day. Thus, trip in vain. Would've done me no good to arrive a day AFTER my meeting.

And before anyone else says it, I normally would've gone out a day earlier, but I had a meeting in Chicago earlier that day that I could not miss. .
Old Nov 8, 18, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'll be <500 miles shy of 1K once UA corrects a glaring PQM glitch - treating ANA intra-Asia flights as domestic Japan - thereby awarding 50% PQM and 0 PQS.

Tried to SDC to a more useful inbound routing but the best offered would have only resulted in pulling me to within 150 miles of 1K... So now I get the 10K mile return sans better benefits. Would have been nice to be granted status prior to embarking upon the outbound but at least I'll get there.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skyccord View Post
What benefit are you looking for? GPU??? You wouldn't get them instantly anyway. There are no complimentary upgrades. Only thing you'll be missing is pre-boarding.
I guess if the return is 4 days later, there would have been time for the new 1K status and the GPUs to appear in the account. Also as a 1K you get more award miles.

Last year, I flew back from HKG on a Tuesday, 2 days later (Thursday) when I flew to MUC my status had changed to 1K. On Friday, I got the 6 GPUs. I immediately applied 2 for our Tuesday return to ORD (as my wife was also traveling on that trip). Both GPUs cleared immediately.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .4 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre

Thanks!
At the end of 2016, I was short by more than 22 PQM's (I can't remember exactly how many...feel free to browse previous posts), but I did get Silver without meeting all of the posted minimums. YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:02 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I’m going to have nearly 12k in spend and end up at about 34k PQM. Honestly, when I was trying to value the benefits of gold v. silver in my situation I don’t think the time / $ to do an Asia mileage run is worth it. Is there any chance United bumps me to gold based on spend? (Almost all my travel this year has come in the 4th quarter)
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by plc44 View Post
I’m going to have nearly 12k in spend and end up at about 34k PQM. Honestly, when I was trying to value the benefits of gold v. silver in my situation I don’t think the time / $ to do an Asia mileage run is worth it. Is there any chance United bumps me to gold based on spend? (Almost all my travel this year has come in the 4th quarter)
Doubtful. You're the type of flyer UA (and everyone wants) - lots of spend and not much distance traveled. You're clearly willing to spend a lot of money on UA (hub captive it looks like?) without having the benefits from meaningful status.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by plc44 View Post
...I’m going to have nearly 12k in spend and end up at about 34k PQM.....
The nearest past case I could find in the previous years thread (see wiki for links) was
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering View Post
Last year or year before last, I had 39K PQM and about $17K PQM and was bumped up to gold.
and there is no guarantee UA will do this in 2019.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks. My wife will hit gold this year, and any long-haul trip we take next year would likely be personal in nature and would be with her. We'd get lounge access and E+ at ticketing via her status, so to me it's not worth the time to do a mileage run. I will ask nicely at the end of the year and see if an exception can be made, understanding that it's not a given.
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Doubtful. You're the type of flyer UA (and everyone wants) - lots of spend and not much distance traveled. You're clearly willing to spend a lot of money on UA (hub captive it looks like?) without having the benefits from meaningful status.
You never know what United would do until January but i like your chances of getting platinum.. I got silver 2 years ago with just over 20k PQM and $8500 PQD and my wife got 1K with $30K PQD but only 65k PQM so it's all about how much money you spend on United..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: