Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PrivatePilot
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K

Didn't see a 2019 thread for this so started one. I checked my Premier Accelerator offers across 2 reservations and this is what I am seeing:

5000 PQM/miles for $725
10000 PQM/miles for $1450
30000 PQM/miles for $4200
45000 PQM/miles for $6300
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:13 am

How does everyone posting in these PQM threads get the $ number?

E.g. One of my offerings is below. Is this considered $1050 for 10000 PQM (10.5c each) or $800 for 10000 PQM (8c each) ?

Also, is there any guidance as to what is a "good" price for PQMs? I understand it can vary, but I'm new to this and have no idea of the price variance over the year,
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
One way of looking at it is to consider what you would have to pay for a mileage run. At its simplest perhaps two transcons in a day so no accommodation costs or interrupted sleep. BOS-SFO and back will earn around 5000 PQMs and can be had for around $250. There are, of course, all sorts of international runs which will cost far less per mile, but you would have to factor in hotel costs (or interrupted sleep nights) and are generally very gruelling.

So, if you need 10,000 PQMs, you could set aside a couple of days and spend around $500. Or you could buy them for somewhat more. Then it comes a question of how you value your time, whether you value lifetime BIS miles and whether you value the handful of RDMs you would earn. Everyone's calculation will be different.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:51 am

Good points, thank you. I have no status right now but from this year on I will start regular business travel. Current projection for the year puts me around 85,000 PQM. I should hit PQD. Haven't determined whether I want to push for 1K status, but assuming I do, I'm trying now to understand whether it's better to proactively buy some PQM now at a sensible cost or take a chance, see where I am late-2019 and decide then.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:18 am

I'll sometimes buy a small mileage "cushion" (10K miles or less) early in the year if I can buy the total package (RDMs plus PQMs) for 10c per mile or less. And I have a couple of booked itineraries now at that rate (both award trips on foreign carriers). In the past I saw packages for 9.5c per mile but not anymore.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Good points, thank you. I have no status right now but from this year on I will start regular business travel. Current projection for the year puts me around 85,000 PQM. I should hit PQD. Haven't determined whether I want to push for 1K status, but assuming I do, I'm trying now to understand whether it's better to proactively buy some PQM now at a sensible cost or take a chance, see where I am late-2019 and decide then.
if I had the PQD I would get the extra PQMs either through a mileage run or purchasing the miles. No brainer if only short 15k of PQMs for 1K status
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:08 am

Thanks all for the advice. The 10c rate I'm being offered for 10k PQM seems reasonable but I think I'll skip it for now - I have one TPAC trip that may be added to my year that could give me enough PQM without needing to buy any. If that falls through I'll consider a mileage run and/or PQM purchase later.

Is there a thread about PQD runs? Dont think I'll need one but I'm curious to educate myself about that.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thanks all for the advice. The 10c rate I'm being offered for 10k PQM seems reasonable but I think I'll skip it for now - I have one TPAC trip that may be added to my year that could give me enough PQM without needing to buy any. If that falls through I'll consider a mileage run and/or PQM purchase later.

Is there a thread about PQD runs? Dont think I'll need one but I'm curious to educate myself about that.
Only real way to get PQD is to fly. TOD and most upgrade fees do not qualify. Only original airfare. There are a couple of others but none that I incur.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
One way of looking at it is to consider what you would have to pay for a mileage run. At its simplest perhaps two transcons in a day so no accommodation costs or interrupted sleep. BOS-SFO and back will earn around 5000 PQMs and can be had for around $250. There are, of course, all sorts of international runs which will cost far less per mile, but you would have to factor in hotel costs (or interrupted sleep nights) and are generally very gruelling.

So, if you need 10,000 PQMs, you could set aside a couple of days and spend around $500. Or you could buy them for somewhat more. Then it comes a question of how you value your time, whether you value lifetime BIS miles and whether you value the handful of RDMs you would earn. Everyone's calculation will be different.

+1 This is why I have not been tempted to bite as the prices on offer have generally been a factor of 3-6x higher than what I would spend on a mileage run. That being said, I was not thrilled to spend the better part of 24 hours cramped in economy seats on a Dec 28 mileage run so I can certainly feel the value of avoiding the MR.

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Didn't see a 2019 thread for this so started one. I checked my Premier Accelerator offers across 2 reservations and this is what I am seeing:

5000 PQM/miles for $725
10000 PQM/miles for $1450
30000 PQM/miles for $4200
45000 PQM/miles for $6300
It is difficult to assess the value without knowing the effects of the Accelerator. For example if you know that 10k miles will put your over the top for 1K status, then you can decide whether $1450 would exceed the marginal value of 1K over Plat. Personally I would not pay that much but there are other threads that provide opinions on the value of each status.

Are there actually people who pay $4200 or $6300 to buy additional miles? Seems like you could simply apply that money to F seats and have change left over. The perks are nice but many are attainable via lower/mid level elite status and/or Chase UA cards.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:00 pm

Does anyone know if RDM purchases code so that I can get 3x points on Chase Sapphire Reserve card for "travel"? Or I also have the UA Explorer Visa which may qualify for 2x.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Are there actually people who pay $4200 or $6300 to buy additional miles? Seems like you could simply apply that money to F seats and have change left over. The perks are nice but many are attainable via lower/mid level elite status and/or Chase UA cards.
I've thought about it this year for the first time, hence my click on this thread. I might end the year with well over $15k PQD but 55-70k PQM, with all of that travel in F or J. The difference between J and Y on the 4 leg intl trip I just bought was about $6k RT, so the accelerator miles would pay for themselves in GPUs.

Right now, I'm offered 45k RDM+PQM for 11cpm:

Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:33 pm

Dont you run the risk of a GPU not getting you an upgrade? Or can you somewhat guarantee it if you pick a flight with upgrade inventory? Is that what PZ is?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:30 am

Does anyone know if RDM purchases code so that I can get 3x points on Chase Sapphire Reserve card for "travel"? Or I also have the UA Explorer Visa which may qualify for 2x.
to answer my own question: CSR does get 3x for this:
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:18 am

And UA Explorer card gets 2x

Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:37 am

Dont you run the risk of a GPU not getting you an upgrade? Or can you somewhat guarantee it if you pick a flight with upgrade inventory? Is that what PZ is?
Yes, if PZ>0 at the time of booking, you can immediately confirm a GPU. Otherwise, you end up on the waitlist and may end up in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.