Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 19, 6:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Generally, these purchase do not earn PQDs, starting in 2019, some PQM purchases do earn PQDs Buying PQMs, PQSs, and PQDs on mystatus.United.com / email
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2019 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2019 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 5, 19, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi, i want to reach gold status. what are the most efficient routes in terms of segments per dollar or pqm per dollar, please

i looked at las to sfo to lax so two segments for ninety dollars
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It depends. You could build yourself a little spreadsheet and try some sample routes and dates. The UA website is pretty good in giving you different fare options (basic, normal, flex, premium, first/business) with price and premier qualifying mileage. A simple division will tell you which route and class gives you better value.
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Premier Gold is 60 segments or 50K miles. If you intend to qualify by segments then GF is your friend to narrow least expensive segments. If efficiency means best flying method then cost per mile is your best way (probably end up international business flying). If you are based overseas PQD's not applicable-otherwise need USD $6K expenditures. To respond you need to narrow the parameters.
Old Apr 5, 19, 5:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Why do you want Gold status in the first place? Does your normal flying pattern put you close to Gold? If not, I think you are probably not flying frequently enough to enjoy the status.
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
This is a good thread to look in if you want to do it cheap and the PQD is a non-factor for you.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
If you do not have PQD reguirements, Gold can be easily achieved in 2 longhaul trips for less than USD1500
Old Apr 5, 19, 6:50 am

Do you mean most efficient as in lowest segments per dollar or PQM per dollar so you can achieve the status quickly with minimal flight time? If that’s the case, then look for TPAC J, usually around $10k which will easily exceed the PQD requirement and with a 3x bonus you can achieve PQM requirements with 2 trips.
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:19 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
  1. Get a chase/united credit card and spend $25k to get the PQD waiver
  2. Book a couple of trips to Asia (PEK, HKG, BKK are often cheap)
  3. profit?
Old Apr 5, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus View Post
Why do you want Gold status in the first place? Does your normal flying pattern put you close to Gold? If not, I think you are probably not flying frequently enough to enjoy the status.
This. Unless your normal flying pattern naturally takes you past silver, then trying to get gold probably won't be worth it.

What is the primary benefit of the Gold status you are after OP? Knowing that might be more useful, as many of the "perks" of gold can be bought in other ways.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by skyscanner View Post
Hi, i want to reach gold status. what are the most efficient routes in terms of segments per dollar or pqm per dollar, please

i looked at las to sfo to lax so two segments for ninety dollars
3 round trips Newark to Hong Kong in economy— you can find those for about $800-1500 each. So on the high end you would still be short PQD.

You could try to find a cheap P fare to china through Shanghai EWR-PVG-HKG you can often find that in the $4k range with some partner segments.

So fewest flights? 2 EWR-HKG in coach and 1 EWR-HKG in business and you’d hit PQD and PQM for gold.

I fly this route all the time (on it now) i would not do it for fun— or for gold status...but its an option.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: DL/UA
As others said I think knowing the "want" for gold status is probably going to be important.

For me I always wanted to stay with gold but the reason was due to *A lounge access more than anything during international travel.
The other significant thing was economy plus selection at booking but now living in SEA the only chance I get to fly UA is to other hubs.

I ended up getting UA mileage club card and that gave me coverage on lounge access (both international *A and domestic as a bonus) mostly, as there are a few exceptions.
The other cherry on top was that club card also waives close-in award booking fees, which is not even fully waived for Gold. I believe it is $25 per.
We already used that four times this year, so $100 savings if you were Gold (or $200 if under that).

Another big benefit of being *G and Gold means BG1 but the card doesn't cover that unfortunately.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:00 pm

If *A lounge access is all that matters to you the UA Club card might be the cheaper way to go. If UA domestic upgrades don't matter to you then OZ *A might be cheaper overall. Also, UA announced a devaluation today so you should take that into consideration as well.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
This. Unless your normal flying pattern naturally takes you past silver, then trying to get gold probably won't be worth it.

What is the primary benefit of the Gold status you are after OP? Knowing that might be more useful, as many of the "perks" of gold can be bought in other ways.
As others noted you can get the Chase Club Card and not only get club access but a free bag and priority boarding. Then buy the E+ upgrade for a year deal (don't know what it costs now) and get the E+ upgrade for the year. Gold CPU upgrades are rare (even rare as Plat and 1K now a days). The benefits are really not there (you could argue that for Plat and 1K but that's another discussion) to jump through a bunch of hoops to get or even spend much over $1k in "mileage run" air fare to achieve.
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA
Interested in this topic as well. My travel pattern usually involves SFO to east coast business travel. I mostly book Z/P fare for non ps route. What are some strategies to maximize PQM in this case? I tried to do SDC but couldn't boost PQM too much due to the routing rule. For example I tried to add a layover at IAH for a SFO-ORD, but that's about it. Most SDC options add minimal value, because layover at DEN/SLC/etc doesn't deviate too far from the original route.

My goal is to hit 1K for GPU and I'm Gold now, but I think the strategy can be somewhat similar to OP's case.
Old Apr 5, 19, 4:34 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by fattygoose View Post
Interested in this topic as well. My travel pattern usually involves SFO to east coast business travel. I mostly book Z/P fare for non ps route. What are some strategies to maximize PQM in this case? I tried to do SDC but couldn't boost PQM too much due to the routing rule. For example I tried to add a layover at IAH for a SFO-ORD, but that's about it. Most SDC options add minimal value, because layover at DEN/SLC/etc doesn't deviate too far from the original route.

My goal is to hit 1K for GPU and I'm Gold now, but I think the strategy can be somewhat similar to OP's case.
Probably won't help you double your PQMs, but don't forget the 500PQM minimum on shorter flights (fly to a nearby region). These flights on P used to get 1,000 PQMs before the P devaluation, but should still earn 750 PQMs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: