Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Frontier flies IAH-SFO, and a week out it's $228.60 one way. I think that is your answer @:-)
Via DEN, though. UA seems to ask a huge nonstop revenue premium for this route; via LAX, LAS, or DEN can be half the price with a fare break in the connecting city.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I wonder if American will copy United's full BE deployment strategy in the long term since I have to imagine that was Kirby's plan at AA. I don't think Delta will match because they're using BE more selectively... and let's not forget they've had years of experience with BE. And finally, Alaska, JetBlue Southwest and Virgin are unlikely to roll out BE any time soon (if ever), so even if AA and DL do fully deploy BE, UA will always have to deal with the potential of those 4 carriers matching a BE fare with a full service offering, potentially leading to the passenger booking away from UA for that flight. So to Kirby's point that UA will be at a disadvantage until other carriers fully deploy, I'm not entirely sure I agree with his premise.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:33 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by boat9781
I wonder if American will copy United's full BE deployment strategy in the long term since I have to imagine that was Kirby's plan at AA. I don't think Delta will match because they're using BE more selectively...
How so?

I've been looking for flights in December, and UA did not have BE filed for the routes I looked at while both AA and DL did. Granted, you could get regular Economy for about $20 more each way.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
I wonder if American will copy United's full BE deployment strategy in the long term since I have to imagine that was Kirby's plan at AA. I don't think Delta will match because they're using BE more selectively... and let's not forget they've had years of experience with BE. And finally, Alaska, JetBlue Southwest and Virgin are unlikely to roll out BE any time soon (if ever), so even if AA and DL do fully deploy BE, UA will always have to deal with the potential of those 4 carriers matching a BE fare with a full service offering, potentially leading to the passenger booking away from UA for that flight. So to Kirby's point that UA will be at a disadvantage until other carriers fully deploy, I'm not entirely sure I agree with his premise.
UA's primary competition is with AA and DL - the 4 you mention are really separated by the big 3 route networks. Price comes into play, but I don't think they are who Kirby meant when he made the comment
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Am I correct in saying that the only differences between BE and Y for Star Golds are:

1. The inability to select seats; and,

2. No same-day changes?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Am I correct in saying that the only differences between BE and Y for Star Golds are:

2. No same-day changes?
No changes at all - same day or any other change. No $200 change fee option.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

2. No same-day changes?
1. No advance seat assignment
2. (as nycityny noted) No changes or refunds of any kind. Fly the ticket as booked or its value is forfeit.
3. No Premier or lifetime credit if accruing to UA; most *A FFPs also give zero credit for UA N fares.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
1. No advance seat assignment
2. (as nycityny noted) No changes or refunds of any kind. Fly the ticket as booked or its value is forfeit.
3. No Premier or lifetime credit if accruing to UA; most *A FFPs also give zero credit for UA N fares.
4. No Upgrades or buyups (not that we Golds got much of that )
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold

2. No same-day changes?
If it was just those two, I'd be fine buying BE. The sucker is you won't earn miles with most programs. Mine is generous in that it at least gives redeemable miles for BE, but without elite miles it's not enough.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold, DL-Plat
I purchased a basic economy flight for 9/8 on my MileagePlus Club card which waives the baggage fees. However, I am going to cancel the card in August. Do I still get the waiver on baggage fees?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by youseeme
I purchased a basic economy flight for 9/8 on my MileagePlus Club card which waives the baggage fees. However, I am going to cancel the card in August. Do I still get the waiver on baggage fees?
don't know how the system handles in practice, but I beleive it's supposed to be like status - your benefits are based on the status at the time of travel. So if you don't have the card then, don't expect to keep the benefit, though it's possible the system may still honor it.

Also, this isn't really a basic economy question - should probably go in the general Explorer thread or on its own - checked bag charges/waivers have nothing to do with a basic economy fare, and are the same whether on a BE or regular fare.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by youseeme
At Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers the T&Cs state
The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
for more see wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...gage-fees.html

Let's continue any further discussion in the above thread.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
nycityny, findark, EmailKid, zeer0 - thanks for the reply! Guess UA don't want my business anymore…
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Saw an interesting search result today where Basic Economy is showing up as more expensive than standard economy.

I haven't paid any attention to the ins-and-outs of BE fares as I have no interest in them, but thought this was rather strange.
That's just the infallible airline business model algorithm at work.

Don't question it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:50 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Never UA

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.

While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Available for sale this January, customers will be able to book Basic Economy fares for spring travel.

We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First and United Polaris.

Watch the video at United Hub to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
What a load of marketing BS.

I don't fly too many domestic segments and as AA EXP, I always consider them first. But, I look at all the alternatives now that AA is turning to the dark side. UA is not even close to the (lower) cost of AA on my recently ticketed LAX-DEN nor LAX-ORD nor DEN-SFO. Seems some of these are UA's main markets. Frontier was even lower overall on some, even with the added seat and baggage charges.

Definitely will never fly UA due to their recent CS issues and a CEO who has his head too far up his....Then this stupidity. So far, AA has had the good sense to not copy. If they do, there are always other alternatives. Never UA though.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.