Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can someone explain why this is happening / what this means?

Searched UA.com for a one way flight:

Where: LAX - ORD
Date: 08/17
Filtered by: "Nonstop Only"

It shows that a basic economy ticket costs $258 while a normal economy costs $243. Screenshot attached.

Why? How? Huh? It's a little early for Saturday website shenanigans and I assume this isn't normal...
Can't explain that phenomenon, but interestingly if you try to buy the basic economy fare, the website has logic to intercede and switch to the regular economy fare because it's lower priced—
For this trip, the price of standard Economy is the same or lower than the price of Basic Economy.​
We’ve updated your itinerary to standard Economy, which has fewer restrictions.​
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Can't explain that phenomenon, but interestingly if you try to buy the basic economy fare, the website has logic to intercede and switch to the regular economy fare because it's lower priced—
In my case I don't think that logic worked. Basic economy WAS less than standard economy, but both were more than flexible economy.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
It does do this. What the! Another "HUH?" moment. I'm just going to assume IT implemented some changes earlier in the day so they could go home earlier for the holiday weekend :P

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I had even crazier back in Post 2009
I must have missed this. Wow. Shenanigans that work out for the consumer, who would've thought
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like they forgot to publish an N match for WAA3AKEN on LAX/ORD. The BE fare is actually a much more expensive S-BN fare.

Ironic that adding an algorithmic post-fix seems to have been deemed easier than telling the fare writers to get their house in order.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Ironic
"Pathetic" is the word you were looking for.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I noticed this morning that BE fares are now showing as sold out when the lower Y fares aren't offered.

I'm not sure if this is set via a price thresh-hold or fare bucket (assuming the latter). Assuming this is not a holiday weekend glitch this seems to be a back-tracking of UA offering BE fares on expensive Y tickets.

Curious what triggered this - a backlash from angry customers, an attrition of corporate bookings, or just common sense finally prevailing that charging people $900 for a one-way fare and then asking them to pony up $20 for a seat assignment wasn't exactly a good business move.

Anyone have more details?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by zeer0
I'm right here . I'd be booking domestic BE 100% of the time on UA if status miles were included. Elite status ensures I'm exempt from most of the restrictions. UA irrops also isn't too bad domestically. Internationally it's a different deal, as UA has awful performance on long hauls out of most hubs.
Yup, me too! I don't even need a carry-on for most flights, since my current travel backpack fits into the personal item measurements.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by belynch
I noticed this morning that BE fares are now showing as sold out when the lower Y fares aren't offered.

I'm not sure if this is set via a price thresh-hold or fare bucket (assuming the latter). Assuming this is not a holiday weekend glitch this seems to be a back-tracking of UA offering BE fares on expensive Y tickets.

Curious what triggered this - a backlash from angry customers, an attrition of corporate bookings, or just common sense finally prevailing that charging people $900 for a one-way fare and then asking them to pony up $20 for a seat assignment wasn't exactly a good business move.

Anyone have more details?
Noticed the same thing this morning looking at close in flights. I am going with a little of both for the reasoning.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Noticed the same thing this morning looking at close in flights. I am going with a little of both for the reasoning.
It appears to be a market-by-market thing. AUS-SFO is no longer showing BE above an S fare, and they appear to have rolled out a new set of fares. (findark, I think they just enjoy keeping you busy ). In addition to the regular -N and -Y fares, they've added -S (making the BE fare -BS... truth in advertising?) They've also published -FS and -FN first class fares to go along with the /UPDI series. Example, at $303, KAA2AKES/UPDI and KAG2AKFS are both published; KAA2AGFN is $318.

AUS-DTW, on the other hand, is still publishing BE for every non-refundable fare.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
They've also published -FS and -FN first class fares to go along with the /UPDI series. Example, at $303, KAA2AKES/UPDI and KAG2AKFS are both published; KAA2AGFN is $318.
The -F- fares have been on the market for several months now. They are the reintroduction of "true" Premium cabin fares to the domestic market, vs. the /UPDI fares which book into a premium booking class at the time of booking but are otherwise Economy fares in every aspect.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Just booked a BE fare from DEN-MCI. I'm a credit card holder, so I can just check my bag. I'm flying alone, so don't really care where I sit. I don't have status anymore, so wasn't eligible for E+ anyway. It's a 2-2 configuration, so no middle seat. And I'm not intending on getting close to status this year nor MM ever. Any reason I should have shelled out the extra $40?

Chris
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I'm a credit card holder, so I can just check my bag.
Credit card holders board with Group 2 and can carry on their bag.

Any reason I should have shelled out the extra $40
Maybe IRROPS? Reports earlier on this thread that they won't put you on another airline unless there are no United options for the next 48 hours.

But, I'd say, "no".
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
It appears to be a market-by-market thing. AUS-SFO is no longer showing BE above an S fare, and they appear to have rolled out a new set of fares. (findark, I think they just enjoy keeping you busy ). In addition to the regular -N and -Y fares, they've added -S (making the BE fare -BS... truth in advertising?) They've also published -FS and -FN first class fares to go along with the /UPDI series. Example, at $303, KAA2AKES/UPDI and KAG2AKFS are both published; KAA2AGFN is $318.

AUS-DTW, on the other hand, is still publishing BE for every non-refundable fare.

Definitely market by market, as the others I peeked at haven't changed. I'd like to believe this is a sign of UA folding and going to the DL strategy, but only time will tell.

-S fares (in eighth position) are a normal thing; they are special/sale/"your favorite s-word here" fares, and are always heavily discounted fares that are non-refundable and have a close-in sell-by date. (No practical difference that I can tell from -N but *shrug*).

-FN versus /UPDI is new and weird. The latter prohibits nonstop routing, but is otherwise mostly similar; I wonder if it's possible that a long routing would trigger a different fare-by-rule provision and a higher fare. They've also introduced -K- (-KN/-KY) fares which book into F, are more expensive, have a higher premium RBD, and have weird restrictions.

But this is a little OT for BE.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:01 pm

As was reported on TPG, the Kirby “there will always be one Basic Economy seat available” thinking is gone, and now only at the lowest available level is Basic Economy available.

So, if the cheap fare codes are gone, there will be no Basic Economy!

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/uni...y-improvement/
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
As was reported on TPG, the Kirby “there will always be one Basic Economy seat available” thinking is gone, and now only at the lowest available level is Basic Economy available.

So, if the cheap fare codes are gone, there will be no Basic Economy!

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/uni...y-improvement/
Not sure whether to call this "good news" or just "less bad news"

But certainly welcome.

Note I see BE being sold down to a W on SFO-SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.