Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
What about those of us who never check a bag
You can check in at a kiosk. Or, buy a different fare.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
then you can have it printed at the check in desk (did you think it was more difficult). It's free to do on UA, but definitely does cost for this in Spirit.
Originally Posted by fly18725
You can check in at a kiosk. Or, buy a different fare.
Chicken is a major pain even via elite line
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Somehow Spirit Airlines manages to allow their passengers to check in online 24 hours in advance, despite the fact that you have to pay for a carry-on that goes in the overhead bin.

Does UA think that their Basic Economy customers are dumber than all of Spirit Airlines' customers combined, or is the objective that by putting the screws to Basic Economy ticket holders as hard as possible, they will get more people to pay extra for regular Economy?
Online check-in is the only free check-in for NK. And check-in is another cut-off before you pay more for bags. That's why they "allow" it. I call it the "printer tax". It's the opposite of consumer-friendly and far more inconvenient than UA's method.

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA takes the same approach.

They charge a $25 penalty if BE pax check at the gate.

So UA is more punitive than Spirit in that it both disallows online check-in and charges a penalty for gate-checking.
Spirit has "dynamic" pricing for bags now, but you can expect to pay $65 for a carry-on at the gate (at least it isn't a $100 like it used to be). All carry-on and checked bag fees (40lb limit) start out higher than UA and the rest of the legacies, and they only go up the longer you wait.

There's no doubt about it. NK is far, far more punitive. It isn't even comparable.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I treat my clients with respect. It's sad that some don't see the value in that.
Maybe you could treat UA with the same respect? It's a two-way street in business. I try to treat all my customers with respect, but the behavior of some will naturally curtail my efforts to go above and beyond.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Can he check luggage through on two separate tickets, BE and biz? Or does this have nothing to do with BE and depends on the check-in agent?
Getting an agent to UA-UA interline is hard. Nothing to do with BE - it's possible but apparently just difficult to get the computer to do.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
Can you point to where United disallows online check-in for BE fares? I believe it is permitted if the customer pays for their checked bag.
The context of this discussion is UA disallowing online check-in because the passenger is not checking a bag.

Obviously if the passenger pays for his or her bag at check-in the issue of gate-checking becomes irrelevant.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
In a small [and new] outstation I watched a passenger get absolutely irate over BE and not being able to bring his (full size -- I saw it later) carry-on onboard claiming it was a "mistake" and his wife didn't know what she was buying (based on how blatantly clear UA makes this at every step from what I've seen) and going on that it was outrageous that he "wasn't allowed" to have his diabetic supplies on board.

I thought he was on the verge of getting physical with the gate agent (who was just about the epitome of customer service -- expressing compassion, trying to find a happy medium (including having pulling the bag [which had been checked at the ticket counter] so that he could get what he needed) and he just was not having any of it and just kept getting louder and more profane.

An agent who appeared later reminded the first agent that "you can always call security if you need to"

I was happy to give the agent my card and invited her/the company to contact me as a witness if this wasn't the end of it.

But it was clear the customer was not going to foster any loyalty toward UA which is bad for the long term (though I'd be happy not to be in the same flight as this passenger again)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Chicken is a major pain even via elite line
I'm now getting stuck with the BE fares for business (Concur booking) as we must go with lowest logical fare. Had the check-in "glitch" with my first BEcarry-on only flight and since solved by checking in on mobile and "checking 1 bag", which then gives me my e-boarding pass. Then at airport I just go thru Pre-check and head to gate with no issues; no bags checked. Has worked every time. Longer-term, I'm probably going to shift my corporate travel to another airline that doesn't push BE quite so hard even on last minute bookings!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I saw my first BE fare today that had a LARGE delta to the lowest economy fare.
IAH-SEA on 9/19 has a BE fare of $51 & the G fare is $131. That is a $80 difference!!!

I thought I had figured out what the "surcharge" would be for a normal economy ticket ($15,$20,$25) depending on flight length, number of segments, etc. But know my theory is thrown out the window.

I wish Google flights could filter out BE fares. It is a real pain right now to plan a status run in the fall. Every time you find a "good deal", you have to click thru to the united site to see what the upcharge will be. On most tcons it was $50 for the RT. Now you just won't know until you click thru
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
IAH-SEA on 9/19 has a BE fare of $51 & the G fare is $131. That is a $80 difference!!!

I thought I had figured out what the "surcharge" would be for a normal economy ticket ($15,$20,$25) depending on flight length, number of segments, etc. But know my theory is thrown out the window
I was going to post this earlier, but you just confirmed my theory.

It's not the $20 that I have seen regularly, but the difference between ULLCs (Spirit, Frontier) fares and what UA (and AA, DL and even WN) would charge.

You know there's no way you UA is going to sell you regular fare to SEA for $51, BUT if UA wants to compete with ULLC then it matches it - not just the fare, but also personal item only as well as no seat assignments.

No lifetime miles or EQM pretty much matches ULLCs as well, since they don't have such a program - can you imagine being a MM on Spirit

I am thinking of creating a Wiki with these observations ....
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
In this and other cases, it's not so much that there is an $80 difference that they published an N fare with no matching economy fare. I am genuinely unsure whether they are mistakes (ie. UA intended to also publish a regular fare) or intentional for the low prices.

Much of the time the discrepancy is cleared up quickly which would lend some credence to the mistake hypothesis but it's hard to know.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I was going to post this earlier, but you just confirmed my theory.

It's not the $20 that I have seen regularly, but the difference between ULLCs (Spirit, Frontier) fares and what UA (and AA, DL and even WN) would charge.

You know there's no way you UA is going to sell you regular fare to SEA for $51, BUT if UA wants to compete with ULLC then it matches it - not just the fare, but also personal item only as well as no seat assignments.

No lifetime miles or EQM pretty much matches ULLCs as well, since they don't have such a program - can you imagine being a MM on Spirit

I am thinking of creating a Wiki with these observations ....
And in retrospect, this is pretty much what most of us were expecting to see when BE was first announced (at least I was). Matching the ULCC's in their markets to win some of that business. Give a handful of pax per plane the opportunity to fly UA for cheap with no benefits.

What we were NOT expecting to see was ALL of our "traditional" fares to go up by the "surcharge" to keep and utilize our FF benefits. And now after being conditioned for a short time that the difference would be in the $15-$25 range, I feel somehow that the $80 difference is somehow wrong, when 2 months ago I would have expected it.

The roll out of this could have been constructed so much better. They should have had these ULCC competitive fares come out first, then all the other BE fares at lower rates then existing fares, & then finally increased them to where they appear as an "elite tax". Sure, some FT'rs would still have argued it as an elite tax, but many would have called it a logical fare hike.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Seeing the news on UA requiring folks who are on BE to check in with an agent in order to get a BP.

UA Explorer card members (primary member + 1 companion on same PNR) or Premier members still get a carry-on per the BE T&C. Does this mean that if I have a BE ticket I still have to see an agent to check in?

If so - I guess what makes sense is to fake check a bag then to get my BP, then never check a bag if I want to have a carry-on only?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Online check-in is the only free check-in for NK...I call it the "printer tax".
I fly Spirit quite a bit and I always check in at the airport kiosk, which is free. (I've done this at ORD, BWI, LGA, and LAS...maybe there are some more minor stations that don't have kiosks?)

Back on topic, I wonder if United wants you to wait to check in at the airport so that non-BE customers all have a chance to pick their seat / maybe buy Y+ between T-24 and T-2. Then whatever's leftover goes to BE.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, so do BE pax have to check in at a counter or is a kiosk ok?

I print a paper BP every single time I fly and have never had to wait or considered this a hassle.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
I fly Spirit quite a bit and I always check in at the airport kiosk, which is free. (I've done this at ORD, BWI, LGA, and LAS...maybe there are some more minor stations that don't have kiosks?)

Back on topic, I wonder if United wants you to wait to check in at the airport so that non-BE customers all have a chance to pick their seat / maybe buy Y+ between T-24 and T-2. Then whatever's leftover goes to BE.
ive never flown Spirit, nor will I ever (that they don't fly to my home airport helps, but even if, I just won't), so i cant speak from experience, but can from their published rules. And their optional services page (https://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices - then click other) clearly lists the fees for printing a BP at a kiosk is $2 per BP, and $10 (ouch!) to have an agent print one. Maybe you've been lucky, but I'd be real surprised to hear the system even allows a waiver. This is basically how Spirit makes money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.