Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you donít purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To aviod domestic BE fares
ITA Matrix ~bc=N

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 15, 16, 5:34 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.

While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Available for sale this January, customers will be able to book Basic Economy fares for spring travel.

We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First and United Polaris.

Watch the video at United Hub to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:16 am

United credit card question

United I have a question. I have mileage plus credit card and I want to buy basic economy ticket. Itís my understanding that because Iím card holder I can still bring full size carry on with me. I also have United gift registry or balance I want to pay for that ticket without using my credit card. With that being said, how united know that Iím mileage plus credit card holder? Or I must use mileage plus credit card to buy that ticket instead? But then I canít use my gift card.

if I must use cc, can I use most of my gc to pay then use cc to pay remaining balance?
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by flybie View Post
United I have a question. I have mileage plus credit card and I want to buy basic economy ticket. Itís my understanding that because Iím card holder I can still bring full size carry on with me. I also have United gift registry or balance I want to pay for that ticket without using my credit card. With that being said, how united know that Iím mileage plus credit card holder? Or I must use mileage plus credit card to buy that ticket instead? But then I canít use my gift card.

if I must use cc, can I use most of my gc to pay then use cc to pay remaining balance?
Make sure that your MileagePlus number is on the reservation -- that's how they're linked. That will get you all the privs that come with the credit card (incudling BG2, full sized carry-on on BE), EXCEPT a free checked bag. For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.
arguetaflyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
...For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.
If any part of the ticket is paid for with Chase CC, the first bag fee waiver is provided.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Make sure that your MileagePlus number is on the reservation -- that's how they're linked. That will get you all the privs that come with the credit card (incudling BG2, full sized carry-on on BE), EXCEPT a free checked bag. For the free checked bag you have to use the credit card to buy the ticket.
me and my travel companion won’t check bags. So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
me and my travel companion wonít check bags. So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?
The specific language for Basic Economy says the cardholder gets a carry-on bag, but the companion does not.

The grammar is a little sketch though, so YMMV.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Important to note: what kind of card do you have?

while most of the current UA cards allow premier access (and thus BG2 and full size carry on in BE), not all do. Specifically, thinking of the TravelBank card currently out there, as well as legacy cards which donít offer it (for example, I have the Select, which isnít available anymore, but doesnít include priority boarding). If itís the Explorer, it works. So just make sure your card is eligible.
Old Jan 2, 18, 10:58 am

Yeah I have explore card.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:37 am

So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?
This worked for me, I hold an Explorer card and bought a BE ticket with my CSR (didn't use my Explorer card at all) and had my MileagePlus number on my reservation and I was in BG2 and brought a full-size carryon, as did my companion on the same PNR.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, VX Gold, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Aliquot View Post
You have other choices if AS, HA (both legacies), B6 or WN fly between the cities you want. The big three have often been price matching these carriers lowest fares, with BE fares. Why would anyone choose a UA BE fare for the same price as a normal economy ticket on any if these carriers?
In the "sticking with my principles department" I just booked SFO-SEA-SFO on UA/AS vs the usual DL since DL wanted another $10 to avoid a BE vs. UA/AS which were both $179 each way (vs $189 on DL). I really don't know why Delta is suddently doing BE on this type of competative routing in higher fare catigories, but it certainly has impacted my buying decission. That said, I'm somewhat unusual in that I'm gold on AS/VX, PLT on DL, and Gold on UA (a few miles from 2MM) so there is no appreciable loyality bump from flying any carrier (other than that upgrades do occur on AS and DL but not UA, but its a short flight). About the only down side in not flying DL is that I can't use the shower at SEA (SkyClub has them, the Centurion does not) but for the principle of the matter (and that AS's flight time is better) I am down on DL....
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Odd pricing strategy:

Old Jan 4, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
Odd pricing strategy:

Happens more often than it doesn't
Old Jan 4, 18, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
Odd pricing strategy:
If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.
Old Jan 4, 18, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.
This is a one way ticket. I tried to book this as a round trip yesterday and the BE fare for the LGA-IAH segment was the same price, regular economy was $308.
Old Jan 11, 18, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Silver
What just happened?

so i need a last minute flight from CHI - DC. United offers 300 dollar flights to DCA and 100 $ flights to BWI. Which is an hour away. I get pissed off. The flights to DCA are all pretty empty, and i begin to rail at United for being evil/greedy -- especially because the 100 dollar flight is basic economy, and my platinum status wont give me an upgrade to Economy Plus seating, which is all i care about. Anyway, i do the 100 buck basic economy seat because i dont like paying an extra 200 bucks for an economy plus seat which is what i thought i was guaranteeing with all my mileage runs last year

i walk to the back of the plane depressed -- and then discover that my seat is 8A a nice economy plus seat, especially after they throw out the women in the row next to me for trying to sit there with a different seat assignment.

So...why did they give me this economy plus upgrade, i didnt even ask for it!

Search this Thread