FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955471-uniteds-basic-economy-discussion-q-archive.html)

UA Insider Nov 15, 2016 5:34 am

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Hi everyone,

Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.

While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Available for sale this January, customers will be able to book Basic Economy fares for spring travel.

We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First and United Polaris.

Watch the video at United Hub to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.

Thank you,

-UA Insider

BZRORG Nov 15, 2016 5:39 am

Should we start flying real LCCs?

IADFlyer123 Nov 15, 2016 5:42 am

Fare classes?

What fare classes would fall under basic economy? And would applying an upgrade move you to business or regular economy?

mdobbins Nov 15, 2016 5:48 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 (Post 27482292)
And would applying an upgrade move you to business or regular economy?

From the provided link:

Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades.

TA Nov 15, 2016 5:49 am

What fare classes would fall under basic economy? And would applying an upgrade move you to business or regular economy?

"Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades."

Is anyone else seeing this offered on any routes yet? Is it only domestic?

Are boarding passes going to be flagged somehow or will the machine beep to make gate agents check and enforce the carry on limit?

Generally at how much of a discount from regular economy will Basic Economy be priced?

Is the basic economy fare the lowest fare that will be shown in search engines now?

iflyuaaa Nov 15, 2016 5:54 am

wow, this sounds horrid. so a GS could be in economy minus on a basic fare and earn no pqm, no seat assignment. yowza.

Duke787 Nov 15, 2016 5:56 am

No PQMs, Boarding Group 5 (unless you have status or CC), seats not together if multiperson itinerary, no upgrade, no E+.

Wonder what will happen if only E+ seats remain.

I hate that Basic Economy exists but on the face of it, it seems to be exactly what you'd expect, no better, no worse

edcho Nov 15, 2016 6:01 am

I'm curious at how well they will enforce this:

Carry-on bags are limited to one personal item, unless the customer is a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star AllianceTM Gold member.
So during the boarding process, the machine will beep for Basic Economy pax? Would be kinda embarrassing IMO if it does.

drewguy Nov 15, 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 27482354)

So during the boarding process, the machine will beep for Basic Economy pax? Would be kinda embarrassing IMO if it does.

Maybe Group 5 will be only basic economy pax?

jackexu Nov 15, 2016 6:07 am

Originally Posted by edcho (Post 27482354)

They just need to check group 5, because those pax with status and cc will boarding from group 1 and 2....

drewguy Nov 15, 2016 6:07 am

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa (Post 27482331)
wow, this sounds horrid. so a GS could be in economy minus on a basic fare and earn no pqm, no seat assignment. yowza.

Only if the GS books that ticket.

I can't really object to the offering, assuming not everything moves this way.

But no lifetime miles? That just seems low . . . fine with no PQMs etc. But lifetime given all the other limits seems like something they could throw in. If someone flies 1mm miles on basic economy they definitely deserve lifetime gold status . . .

jackexu Nov 15, 2016 6:08 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 27482361)
Maybe Group 5 will be only basic economy pax?

They said currently group 5, so probably they will make a group 6 or whatever..

edcho Nov 15, 2016 6:10 am

Originally Posted by jackexu (Post 27482366)
They just need to check group 5, because those pax with status and cc will boarding from group 1 and 2....

Still would be embarrassing IMO (even though most people in that line might not know what the beeping would be about).

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 27482369)
Only if the GS books that ticket.

I can't really object to the offering, assuming not everything moves this way.

But no lifetime miles? That just seems low . . . fine with no PQMs etc. But lifetime given all the other limits seems like something they could throw in. If someone flies 1mm miles on basic economy they definitely deserve lifetime gold status . . .

+1. I would think lifetime would atleast count but they don't even honor that here.

jackexu Nov 15, 2016 6:11 am

I think "N" will be the one used as Basic Economy... because "N" did not exist for a while (all United's deal, including lowest price like $49 BOS-EWR, were booked in G)

jackexu Nov 15, 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 27482369)

+1... at least lifetime miles...