Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
In addition to Basic Economy BPs having indicating Zone 5, they also have
BASIC ECONOMY
in large font along the bottom of the BP. I witnessed a BE flyer with a roll-aboard have to gate check/pay $25 at MIA this morning.
(exceedingly minor clarification)

I think the 'scarlet letter' actually appears at the top of the BP, if I saw correctly over someone's shoulder. I'm not sure if you can wind up with both 'PREMIER 1K'/'GLOBAL SERVICES' and 'BASIC ECONOMY' printed on the boarding pass, but I would imagine so, in which case it has to go somewhere other than the bottom.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Here is a good one! ORD-IAD, one way for next week 366.00, in Basic Economy AND Economy. Yup, exact far for N fare and E fare.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
One more gem of a fare. ORD-EWR one way next week. 438.00 for Basic Economy, and 439.00 for Economy. There will be some upset people who book that 438.00 fare. Is it really worth it to UA to confuse people and make them upset?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United allows Premiers the normal carry-on allotment and regular (BG1 or BG2) boarding group. I'm guessing UA's enforcement goes into action when a boarding group 5 (where non-Premier Basic Economy flyers are placed) boarding pass is scanned, not solely just the fact that a Basic Economy fare was purchased.

I haven't flown BE yet, but I'm assuming mine will show BG1, even though it's a BE fare. I'll find out Wednesday on my $68 (BE, currently $189) IAH-LAS flight. Southwest's current fare HOU-LAS around same time is $283 for their non-stop, so United's fare is still a deal, even counting SW's bag policy (checked and carry-on).

To be one of the first to board & HOTFOOT it to an E- seat isn't anything that I would want to experience, EVER!!!

Q: As a MileagePlus Premier member, will I be able to select a seat in Economy Plus or in the front cabin when flying on a Basic Economy ticket?

A: No, all travelers with Basic Economy tickets, including MileagePlus Premier members, will not be able to sit in Economy Plus or the premium cabin. This includes complimentary and for-purchase Economy Plus seating, as well as any type of upgrade including paid upgrades, MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades.

Q: I'm a MileagePlus Premier member — will I still be able to choose an Economy Plus seat?

A: Customers who purchase a Basic Economy ticket, regardless of Premier level, will not be able to purchase or receive an Economy Plus seat.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Is it really worth it to UA to confuse people and make them upset?
Non-snarky answer: Yes, it is.

This down-tiering is INTENTIONALLY designed from soup to nuts, to confuse the consumer. There's even a name for it in Marketing: "Decoy Pricing". Profiting from consumer confusion, ignorance, misunderstanding and overall poor decision making is one of the classic time-tested tactics of companies in near-monopoly or oligarchical situations. Airlines have consolidated their way into the same rarified circle as banks, cable companies and cell phone carriers.

You're going to make bad decisions. They're going to profit from them. And then 6 months later, you're going to do it again, most likely because you have no other choice.

Eventually the house of cards falls... but it'll take awhile, and there's far, far too much money to be made in the meanwhile!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
And now the bad press comes! They deserve it this time. When a ticket is sold for the same price as AA and offers less benefits, that's a problem. When word gets out, UA will eventually be the loser in this.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...cid=spartanntp
I came to the thread to post this link, but you beat me to it!

Unfortunately, this article contains at least one factual misstatement (emphasis added);

After a ticket is purchased, the airline also sends several emails reiterating what the customer gets with their ticket and states that they can change their ticket to a regular economy fare within 24 hours of their purchase.

One tweet quoted in the article concerns me;

I didn't think a purse and a knapsack would be against the Basic Economy rules. Now i know. Won't be flying with you again.
-- Diane Gordon (@thesurfreport) June 13, 2017
The restrictions clearly state BE does not allow a "full size carry on", and the fine print gives specific dimensions of the smaller item that all travelers are allowed. However, while the implied result is that BE fares can only carry-on one bag, and cannot use the OH bins, this is not explicitly stated in the screen shots shown in the article.

If the knapsack was small enough to fit under the seat along side a purse, should it have been allowed? I can easily picture a woman with a small laptop/device bag and purse that can both fit under the seat flying on a BE fare expecting that they can bring both items on the flight.

In any case, UA's success with their strategy comes down the competitive response from AA/DL. For the record, Kirby clearly states "[United] for the most part is charging a basic economy fare for what American and Delta is a regular fare". The context is that UA expects AA to match their strategy. If AA fails to match, then I expect UA will tweak their offerings. If AA matches, then UA will likely hold fast.

One other comment. The slides show linked up-thread that shows quicker boarding times with BE fares as opposed to before is only using data from April 1-17 as comparison for non-BE boarding. Seems like too small of a sample size to me.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it confirmed that gate staff has been trained to note Premier members traveling on BE are allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on?

I need to travel BOS-EWR and the flights I am on are all ERJ so I'm considering buying BE instead. Seat selection or E+ is hardly an issue on such a short flight.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Is it confirmed that gate staff has been trained to note Premier members traveling on BE are allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on?

I need to travel BOS-EWR and the flights I am on are all ERJ so I'm considering buying BE instead. Seat selection or E+ is hardly an issue on such a short flight.
I'm pretty sure they check passengers with BG5 boarding passes, although if you amble on with BG5 (versus your normal group assignment, which should be printed on your BP), the GA may jump to the conclusion you get the limited BE carry-on allowance.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
(exceedingly minor clarification)

I think the 'scarlet letter' actually appears at the top of the BP, if I saw correctly over someone's shoulder. I'm not sure if you can wind up with both 'PREMIER 1K'/'GLOBAL SERVICES' and 'BASIC ECONOMY' printed on the boarding pass, but I would imagine so, in which case it has to go somewhere other than the bottom.
I'm pretty sure BASIC ECONOMY goes in the same place as PREMIER 1K. I don't know what they would do for a 1K on a BE fare, but possibly it would just say PREMIER 1K since the "scarlet letter" isn't as important when the pax gets G1 boarding and a carry-on.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Just signed up and got approval for the Mileage Plus Explorer card. So just to be clear, if I buy a Basic Economy fare for LAX-SFO, I will still receive all of the perks?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:34 pm

I recall seeing someone on twitter suggesting when to check-in for a basic economy flight for a better chance of getting a decent seat. Is there any truth to this? I think I remember him saying an hour before the flight but I could be wrong. I tried searching this thread but couldn't find anything
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seat38a
Just signed up and got approval for the Mileage Plus Explorer card. So just to be clear, if I buy a Basic Economy fare for LAX-SFO, I will still receive all of the perks?
You get free checked bag, boarding group 2, and the regular carry-on allowance.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I'm pretty sure BASIC ECONOMY goes in the same place as PREMIER 1K. I don't know what they would do for a 1K on a BE fare, but possibly it would just say PREMIER 1K since the "scarlet letter" isn't as important when the pax gets G1 boarding and a carry-on.
That would be my impression/expectation as well -- at that point branding the pax Basic Economy is essentially irrelevant to the GA (save for perhaps and attempted SDC, but I'm sure AERO would put the kibosh on that faster than any printed message would)

Having spent way too much time studying boarding passes while designing our wedding invitations, United really only has 2-3 PECTAB templates for boarding passes [based on the type of ATB printer used, if its a standard kiosk/CUSS kiosk/CUTE terminal/owned terminal] with fields populated/displayed/hidden based on business logic. With all of the stuff that "can" appear at the top of the BP (INTL, PREMIER ACCESS, printing terminal SITA address, PNR, flight and sequence numbers, etc.) really the only place left for consistent and prominent branding is the "GLOBAL SERVICES"/"PREMIER 1K" (or "WEDDING GUEST"/"RECEPTION GUEST" in my case ) branding.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm pretty sure they check passengers with BG5 boarding passes, although if you amble on with BG5 (versus your normal group assignment, which should be printed on your BP), the GA may jump to the conclusion you get the limited BE carry-on allowance.
Hence the question about whether training has percolated down to the GA's.

I'm only a lowly premier silver with United, but as I understand it - that should still get me past the carry-on limit.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plato90s
Hence the question about whether training has percolated down to the GA's.

I'm only a lowly premier silver with United, but as I understand it - that should still get me past the carry-on limit.
Based on what I've heard, the training appears to have consisted of "nobody in Group 5 may have a carry-on bag." That is the announcement that they make, more or less verbatim, during boarding, and it appears to be the way that flights are being handled.

If you line up with Group 2 and get on the plane, you should be fine. If you line up in Group 5 -- or, more realistically, if you are late to the flight and arrive while Group 5 is boarding -- you may need to point out your boarding group. Either way, I don't anticipate it being a big problem.

If you are forced to pay a gate check fee, and a short argument doesn't resolve the issue ("I'm silver; I'm not in group 5, so I'm allowed a carry-on,") just keep the receipt and file for a refund afterwards. My guess is that, in addition to the refund, you might just get an ETC for your trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.