Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:48 am

Hello,

I have Basic Economy on a roundtrip itinerary in a few months with one other person on the PNR. I am *G, my travel companion is not. I just learned that I will not be flying back on the return leg, while my travel companion will be. (We will both be on the outbound.)

(a) Given that BE is nonrefundable, is there any reason why I would cancel my leg of the ticket?
(b) Will my travel companion still be in Boarding Group 2 (to get the free carry-on) if we both check in, but I don't take the flight? Would this cause any problems at the gate if one person on the itinerary doesn't travel?

Thank you.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by usfly
(a) Given that BE is nonrefundable, is there any reason why I would cancel my leg of the ticket?
It might help your flight take off on time (which would benefit your travel companion).

Originally Posted by usfly
(b) Will my travel companion still be in Boarding Group 2 (to get the free carry-on) if we both check in, but I don't take the flight? Would this cause any problems at the gate if one person on the itinerary doesn't travel?
Your companion will still be in BG2, and can be on the plane well before anyone notices you aren't there. It's technically possible they would track your companion down and force the bag to be checked, but given the focus on D0 I doubt anyone will. The GA might ask your companion where you are, though.

If your companion can contact you after boarding, you could cancel once they're seated.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by getagb
It might help your flight take off on time (which would benefit your travel companion).
I always think cancelling (or at least not checking in) is the right thing to do, but Doubtful this will affect whether the flight is on time either way.

If the pax doesn't check in by the cutoff, the ticket will be canceled immediately at that point. Even if OP does check in, when they are not onboard at the boarding cutoff, 15 minutes prior to departure time, they'll be offloaded. Either their place will be filled by a standby, will go out empty, or any overbooking will be less one than before. Either way, the 15 minutes is still plenty of time for UA to do what they need to get the flight out on time.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by getagb
No showing will not affect the flight's departure status. As noted already, the reservation will be canceled upon the failure to check-in.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
There are no international BE fares as of yet sit a simple answer. Been stated a couple times in this thread.
1. Doubt they would ever do that for INTL, which put them into a very difficult position.

2. N inventories are there, but it's not bookable in Basic Economy. Good job to not allow people to book it in .bomb. However, it's not zeroed out either.

It is possible that later there will be rebookings directly into N where people will get mad at UA charging carry-ons for INTL flights like AA did.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Doubt they would ever do that for INTL, which put them into a very difficult position.
They are coming. Already announced for Latin America, and it's not going to stop there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They are coming. Already announced for Latin America, and it's not going to stop there.
So all the narrow-bodies here, and HI. I would like to see the face of the customers when they get charged for their carry-on in ULH like EWR-HKGs or something. Let's see if US3 have the nerve to do that.

It's all about capacity control and greed. IMO Latin America is borderline acceptable, but Hawaii, really? Come on now.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jun 25, 2017 at 12:15 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
So all the narrow-bodies here, and HI. I would like to see the face of the customers when they get charged for their carry-on in UHL like EWR-HKGs or something. Let's see if US3 have the nerve to do that.

It's all about capacity control and greed. IMO Latin America is borderline acceptable, but Hawaii, really? Come on now.
DL sells Basic Economy on ATL-JNB. But then DL BE fares do not have carry-on restrictions (nor does it alter your checked luggage allowances).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL sells Basic Economy on ATL-JNB. But then DL BE fares do not have carry-on restrictions (nor does it alter your checked luggage allowances).
DL's BE is no different than non BE fares on competing European carriers, they don't offer seat selection and changes net a refund of only the taxes and fees.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Sad state of affairs with BE -- like others have started to book away from United. What's the point anymore? For the first time ever in Google Flights today, I filtered out United (along with Frontier and Spirit) for my search. It's VX, AS, WN, B6 and DL (on non-BE routes) for me these days.

I guess when they say they want to compete with Frontier and Spirit, they've succeeded. :-/
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Sad state of affairs with BE -- like others have started to book away from United. What's the point anymore? For the first time ever in Google Flights today, I filtered out United (along with Frontier and Spirit) for my search. It's VX, AS, WN, B6 and DL (on non-BE routes) for me these days.

I guess when they say they want to compete with Frontier and Spirit, they've succeeded. :-/
not sure what routes on DL are "non-BE" - didn't they already announce it's available on all domestic routes and will be coming international (I know for sure they have them to Canada, which UA does not at this point, not sure about DL on long-haul, but upthread someone posted it is available on ATL-JNB. yes, DL doesn't offer it when the higher fare classes only are available, but they should be available on all domestic routes.

These will become more more common on AA as well as they roll it more broadly. given your restriction to these few carriers, good luck getting where you need to go outside of most of the largest US cities. Try booking WN to LHR, or VX/AS to mid-size cities in the Midwest, and tell me how that works out for you. BE fares are available to those who want them, but easy to avoid them if you just select a regular fare, and just an expansion of the same type of basic fare options that have been available in other regions, some of which have been around for 15+ years (AC Tango, LH lite fares, etc.) and doesn't even include the fares on carriers like OZ, TG and SQ which just receive no mileage. If BE doesn't meet your needs, then by all means, book a different fare or a different carrier if you think that's better for you. For me, I'd rather consolidate my mileage on UA/*A since I get benefits I couldn't get by splitting my travel on multiple carriers - forget about CPUs, but given the savings I've had on bag fees alone, much less other items, more than makes up for the times I've had to pay higher fares. It's not even close. For sure, you should do what meets your needs best.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
not sure what routes on DL are "non-BE" - didn't they already announce it's available on all domestic routes and will be coming international (I know for sure they have them to Canada, which UA does not at this point, not sure about DL on long-haul, but upthread someone posted it is available on ATL-JNB. yes, DL doesn't offer it when the higher fare classes only are available, but they should be available on all domestic routes.
What UACO calls its BE product is not the same as DL BE. Comparing what United Continental offers to Delta's product is not equivalent.

David
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DELee
What UACO calls its BE product is not the same as DL BE. Comparing what United Continental offers to Delta's product is not equivalent.

David
+100
Not only is UA's product much worse, but the fare structure is also far more objectionable than DL's.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
+100
Not only is UA's product much worse, but the fare structure is also far more objectionable than DL's.
There continue to be tweaks to the fare structure and we shouldn't get too hung up on it.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
There continue to be tweaks to the fare structure and we shouldn't get too hung up on it.
It seems, to me, to be perfectly acceptable to get hung up on it until we see some changes. Especially with an airline that has a history, albeit with the prior CEO, of making bad things worse with its tweaks.

I still don't quite understand why it causes people to book away though, unless they are now consistently seeing lower fares in DL or AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.