Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
I am unaware of any policy whereby United blocks off and holds seats together for use later, and certainly none being saved for BE.
Seats are blocked. You can't tell the difference between blocked and occupied through the app, website, or gate monitor seat maps.

There are frequently adjoining unchecked-in seats. You rarely see them because they go from being assigned to the unchecked-in passenger to being assigned to a passenger needing a seat assignment without showing as unassigned for more than a few seconds.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MIKEM
If i book a BE fare will they really not let my wife sit next to me - is it a possibility? Regular economy is $96 more. I could fly WN for $100 less. After a decade of 1K and now MM, these UA buttheads told me I would have lifetime benefits. If I can't even have my ill wife sit next to me...
Stop. Think. Remember that BE is clickbait and not a real price. If WN is $196 less than UA, fly WN. Seems like a pretty easy choice.

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is the exact same calculus that I've made. For a flight beyond a couple of hours in length, I refuse to fly without a preferred seat assignment. It's not that E+ is luxurious; it's that E- is torturous. So, when I compare flight prices, I'm comparing UA's price to other carriers' price, inclusive of the benefits that UA provides. For example, if I know I'll need a bag, I include its cost when I'm searching for my flight.
+1. Even when there is a "UA tax" my current "loyalty" is determined entirely by price and schedule. Given my 1K status, I have no problem paying an extra $15 or whatever for E+, a decent shot at CPU (for the routes I book Y anyway), and a drink+food if I don't. Flying non-status Y on another legacy is a non-starter for me.

Originally Posted by spin88
I am unaware of any policy whereby United blocks off and holds seats together for use later, and certainly none being saved for BE.
Typical mainline narrowbodies have 6 seats blocked, 2 in E+ and 4 in E-. I would never tell a couple to expect to sit together on a BE ticket, but LarryJ is probably correct that the chances of it happening are closer to 50% than 10%.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
For a flight beyond a couple of hours in length, I refuse to fly without a preferred seat assignment.
Absolutely.

And lest people think this is just a UA BE issue, I was today helping a friend with tickets to China. CX offered a sub $700 fare, and we know it's a good product, but they now do not permit advance seat assignments on anything except the most expensive Y fares, and that is an absolute no-go in my book. Ultimately opted for a $1400 PE fare on CI.

LH Group is now getting really bad about this, too. And BA of course is known for charging business class passengers for advance seat assignments.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MIKEM
If i book a BE fare will they really not let my wife sit next to me - is it a possibility? Regular economy is $96 more. I could fly WN for $100 less. After a decade of 1K and now MM, these UA buttheads told me I would have lifetime benefits. If I can't even have my ill wife sit next to me...
UA says this on their BE page

[STRONG]Group and family seating is not available[/STRONG]

Please note that customers traveling in a group, including families, will not be able to sit together.
That implies that you will definitely not sit together. My interpretation of this is that they are being very forthcoming so as not to create the expectation that you might sit together. I'd guess on a two-person PNR, and where there are E(-) seats together at time of check in (or at the gate, if you don't get your seats until then), they would probably put you in them - so it's not specifically that they won't, but it being only available at check in time, they know in a lot of cases, it won't be. Again, just my interpretation.

This is also, IME to discourage people who can't sit apart, i.e. someone who is traveling with someone else who needs assistance, or a parent traveling with a small child, etc. from booking these, because they don't want to have to deal with finding a seat together last minute if they aren't available (though I think in this last case, they should just not show BE fares at all to those with child in the itinerary, but I digress)

In addition, in the section above this, when referring to seat selection not being available in advance, it also says "Your seat will be automatically assigned prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned." I don't know how strict the system is with this, i.e., does the system actually block an agent from making a seat change for BE pax (unless required for operational reasons), does the system allow it with some sort of supervisor approval, or whether the system allows an agent to make it like any other seat change, but they are just discouraging folks from asking.

But what is clear is that UA is saying if you buy a BE fare, don't expect to sit with your companion, and that this is a 'feature' that you won't get if you book the lowest priced ticket that is a BE fare.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't know how strict the system is with this, i.e., does the system actually block an agent from making a seat change for BE pax (unless required for operational reasons), does the system allow it with some sort of supervisor approval, or whether the system allows an agent to make it like any other seat change, but they are just discouraging folks from asking.
Almost certain an agent can change it like any other assignment. Distinction is that, even once assigned, you cannot.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Apparently ONT-SFO has BE fares filed for it...and it is on the CR2.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 1.52.53 PM.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  261.4 KB
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard

Attachment 35895
aircraft type is irrelevant to fare types offered, including BE.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Attachment 35895
As noted previously, BE has been rolled out for all domestic routes (not including Hawaii).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:29 pm

BE fares booked with a Canadian billing address

Has anybody booked BE fares with a Canadian billing address; every time I try to book, I get to the purchase button it redirects me to the Canadian page, with the below message:

Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Attachment 35895
You do know that's Ontario, California - not Ontario, Canada?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I do know, especially since I live 20 miles away.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
He, he, CR2 should be the first hint. Pretty sure it can't fly all the way to Ontario, Canada.

Sadly, it's quite capable of flying to YYJ (Victoria, BC, Canada).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
He, he, CR2 should be the first hint. Pretty sure it can't fly all the way to Ontario, Canada.

Sadly, it's quite capable of flying to YYJ (Victoria, BC, Canada).
Sometimes, that is a better choice than taking the DH8 between YYJ and YVR.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
That would be odd to have a flight to "Ontario, Canada". Do they land at some random airport in that province?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jowt
Has anybody booked BE fares with a Canadian billing address; every time I try to book, I get to the purchase button it redirects me to the Canadian page, with the below message:
No, you cannot:

Code:
   AND - TICKETS MAY BE ISSUED BY PTA. PTA CONSTITUTES
         TICKETING.
         TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN UNITED STATES.
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
That would be odd to have a flight to "Ontario, Canada". Do they land at some random airport in that province?
When I was 10 or so, I was flying WN PHX-OAK as a UMR. My flight was canceled and I got rebooked PHX-ONT-OAK (possibly direct?). I got really freaked out until someone managed to explain to me that I wasn't getting sent to Canada (which, surprisingly, took 30+ minutes - I think I was doing a bad job of communicating )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.