Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've defaulted my profile to search for Business and First fares. Most of the time this will display regular Economy as the left-most column. It will never display BE (what you want), but also won't have the Economy (flexible) column.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
Make BE Fares go away on United.com

Is there any profile or way so that the reservation system will never, ever shows me BE Fares. I don't plan on ever buying one of these things.

I've almost bought them a couple of times, as I'm so used to viewing the prices in the first column and I just am not interested in them.
One of two ways:

At main UA page Book Travel select Search All Options and underneath Upgrade Type choose MileagePlus Upgrade. Just tried it with random search and there was no BE even though regular search showed it. You do lose the flexible fares results though ...

No idea if you can do something like that with Google Flights or Matrix.

If already in search, do the same but click Advanced Search at top right of results page.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EmailKid
No idea if you can do something like that with Google Flights or Matrix.
With Matrix you can do

Code:
f !bc=n
This is however less useful unless you are only searching for United flights, as other carriers may use the N booking code for other meanings.

With Google flights.. well, you should use Matrix
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by findark
With Matrix you can do

Code:
f !bc=n
This is however less useful unless you are only searching for United flights, as other carriers may use the N booking code for other meanings.

Thanks, and yes, Matrix is still my first go to

Guess I need to spend more time in the Matrix trix thread .....
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
With Matrix you can do

Code:
f !bc=n

Thanks! I had taken to just listing every other UA code because I couldn't figure out how to cancel a fare code.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Saw an interesting search result today where Basic Economy is showing up as more expensive than standard economy.

I haven't paid any attention to the ins-and-outs of BE fares as I have no interest in them, but thought this was rather strange.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Just hit a new one, or at least new to me.

Looking for a round trip, when selecting the outbound flight, I'm given a choice of Basic or Standard economy for the same price for the leg. Huh? But if I select the "no-extra-cost" Standard, then the return leg prices $20 higher than it does if I select Basic for the outbound.

Searching for 2 one ways instead reveals what is going on. On the outbound one-way, Basic is not an option. On the return one-way, it is, with a $20 price difference. And I guess a Basic or Standard selection for a roundtrip applies to both directions. Still, it makes for a confusing choice, and most might not realize that the selection on the same-priced outbound will affect the total roundtrip pricing.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swag
Just hit a new one, or at least new to me.

Looking for a round trip, when selecting the outbound flight, I'm given a choice of Basic or Standard economy for the same price for the leg. Huh? But if I select the "no-extra-cost" Standard, then the return leg prices $20 higher than it does if I select Basic for the outbound.

Searching for 2 one ways instead reveals what is going on. On the outbound one-way, Basic is not an option. On the return one-way, it is, with a $20 price difference. And I guess a Basic or Standard selection for a roundtrip applies to both directions. Still, it makes for a confusing choice, and most might not realize that the selection on the same-priced outbound will affect the total roundtrip pricing.
like everything, basic is priced one way. And you can't combine basic and regular fares. Sounds like basic fares on the outbound were the same, with a $20 difference in the return. While I typically see the difference is the same each direction (just in searches, never actually booked BE), I've seen the $0 difference before once.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
There is apparently a recent quote from Kirby regarding BE: - see moderator source

Thoughts?

Moderator note: From those wanting a source for the above quote -- see transcript of 19 July UA analyst call

Last edited by ermintrude; Jul 19, 2017 at 7:32 pm Reason: quote source
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Thoughts?
It's a failure and it's costing them customers.

They're already backing off in the marketplace. Whether they will be forced to change the terms of the fares themselves (particularly the carryon restriction), as opposed to just backing off on the fare structure, remains to be seen.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts?
I wouldn't put it in quite so stark terms.

Competing BE-for-Y against other airlines was patently absurd (especially for e.g. West Coast refundable fares), and looks like they finally figured it out. They've rolled back BE to mirror DL's fare levels, and I think it will stay that way (or everyone will "roll out completely" together).

Why they ever though failing to match on price in competitive markets was a good idea to begin with.. Maybe Kirby honestly thought AA and DL would follow.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kirby
right now because you can get our standard product on our competitors for the same price you can get Basic Economy on United.
He confirmed what everyone upthread has been claiming.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Booking an SFO/IAH R/T for late August (Q fare), I just got a quote for the outbound where Economy was BE+1 ($351 vs. $350). Don't know if there's a temporary sale on or it's messed up, but the R/T Sun/Fri was a bit more than $100 less than I've been paying the rest of the summer.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:36 pm

Frontier flies IAH-SFO, and a week out it's $228.60 one way. I think that is your answer @:-)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Thoughts?
Eh, nothing too groundbreaking to me. I think the only interesting part is that he didn't give a definitive guidance on whether it is currently revenue positive or negative. So we don't know whether the book away is outpacing the up-sale yield gain, or vice versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.