Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
That would be odd to have a flight to "Ontario, Canada". Do they land at some random airport in that province?
maybe it's like South Park, where they go to 'downtown Canada' (IIRC, they play a football game between the Roughriders and the Roughriders).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by spin88
It is notable that no other airline would follow United down this road of status devaluation, not even Delta, which before now has been the leading in status devaluations. This said, it appears that BE is hurting United and we may see more backing off their "$1 Billion" plan to monetize your status with higher fees.
I have stopped flying United and so have family and friends. It makes no sense when WN is a good option in DEN. I will be surprised if they back out any time soon. The regular United attitude is to keep at it until it is too late. Like the RJ rides from hell. Now the ever dense 777 fleet along with BE fares.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
Sometimes, that is a better choice than taking the DH8 between YYJ and YVR.
YVR-SFO-YVR on mainline, chance for u/g, MLL ....

Given a choice, that was it for me EVERY time

Of course I'm not a slave to the clock anymore
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
United remains uncompetitive....

Circling back to how this was implemented, I need to go SFO-PHX-SFO on Thursday. So the options are AA and UA. UA has a slight edge over AA since I have status, and am close to 2MM. So I go and look and UA is regular Y (since it is refundable) at $379 each way. AA is $359 each way. So when UA raised fares for BE, then backed off BE when (like here it is insulting to make it a BE ticket) they left their fares higher. The result is that United is now noncompetitive, and sorry, I am not paying United another $20 more to fly them home. I would rather take AA, crediting to my AS account, which is what I am going to do. (And yes, I know that is going away at some point).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am unaware of any policy whereby United blocks off and holds seats together for use later, and certainly none being saved for BE.
The company historically has blocked seats for airport assignment, in part to handle groups without assignment. Maybe not for BE specifically, but seats do get blocked to account for groups traveling together. Depending on the route it could be 10-20% of the cabin on board. And it happens dynamically so as a plane fills up seats will eventually disappear from online availability but not show as "blocked" in the first place.

I still would not recommend to someone buying BE that they are likely to sit together. But that's a different detail.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Circling back to how this was implemented, I need to go SFO-PHX-SFO on Thursday. So the options are AA and UA. UA has a slight edge over AA since I have status, and am close to 2MM. So I go and look and UA is regular Y (since it is refundable) at $379 each way. AA is $359 each way. The result is that United is now noncompetitive, and sorry, I am not paying United another $20 more to fly them home.
You'd give up 1300 PQM, 6000 RDM and E+ at booking for $40, or about a 5% difference. Not sure what you are gaining from AS crediting, but it would be curious where the calculation would be if the UA flight was the same price.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by aacharya
You'd give up 1300 PQM, 6000 RDM and E+ at booking for $40, or about a 5% difference. Not sure what you are gaining from AS crediting, but it would be curious where the calculation would be if the UA flight was the same price.
As Alaska gold I get exit row (or they gave it to me anyway given my high fare). The planes are A321, so are much more comfortable than what United will fly. I get status credit on AS (which I care about more than on United, where absent major changes I will never try for greater than my MM (or when I get it 2MM) status) and I get miles on AS, which are IMHO more valuable than United miles. What I really loose is a visit to the Amex Lounge in SFO, but with a 6 am flight, I am not going early enough to use it, and best to avoid the lines to get into UA security at SFO,
But even w/o the ability to get AS miles, I am simply not going to pay $40 extra to fly United. I would pay $40 more to fly VX or DL, but not United. And I don't think my perspective is that off. For high fares like this (I just paid AA $717 to fly RT SFO-PHX) an airline should do what it can to get that fare, not be noncompetitive.

And note this is a direct result of the BE price rise. Before BE, fares would have matched, and I would have likely taken UA.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Alaska gold I get exit row (or they gave it to me anyway given my high fare). The planes are A321, so are much more comfortable than what United will fly. I get status credit on AS (which I care about more than on United, where absent major changes I will never try for greater than my MM (or when I get it 2MM) status) and I get miles on AS, which are IMHO more valuable than United miles. What I really loose is a visit to the Amex Lounge in SFO, but with a 6 am flight, I am not going early enough to use it, and best to avoid the lines to get into UA security at SFO,
But even w/o the ability to get AS miles, I am simply not going to pay $40 extra to fly United. I would pay $40 more to fly VX or DL, but not United. And I don't think my perspective is that off. For high fares like this (I just paid AA $717 to fly RT SFO-PHX) an airline should do what it can to get that fare, not be noncompetitive.

And note this is a direct result of the BE price rise. Before BE, fares would have matched, and I would have likely taken UA.
Your money, your choice. Isn't that how's it suppose to work?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But most of the codeshare and miles earning ability (at least domestically) between AS and AA are going away Jan 1 so need to take that into consideration if FF benefits are important.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by fgirard
Apparently ONT-SFO has BE fares filed for it...and it is on the CR2.

Attachment 35895
My home airport mostly sees CR2s for UA, and I have seen BE fares for a while. I haven't had a need to book UA since then, but I suspect I would probably buy the BE fare since there appears to be zero benefit for a MM flyer who doesn't give a rat's behind about PQMs and PQDs and virtually never changes flights once booked. It's not like I am missing out on a great seat....
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Booked on UA1924 EWR to LAS tonight. Lots of empty seats, all but one in E+ so it looks like anyone on a BE fare is going to get a break. I expected to see the E+ fill up at t-24 when the Silvers like me could grab them for free but there are still more than 20 empty right now. Oh, we got an MUA that cleared a few weeks ago
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632
Booked on UA1924 EWR to LAS tonight. Lots of empty seats, all but one in E+ so it looks like anyone on a BE fare is going to get a break. I expected to see the E+ fill up at t-24 when the Silvers like me could grab them for free but there are still more than 20 empty right now. Oh, we got an MUA that cleared a few weeks ago
and herein lies the problem with BE on leisure routes or times when E+ doesn't fill up with elites or those willling to pay. They need to find a way to make sure the E+ seats get offered to those who give more value rather than as a reward for those buying the cheapest fares and that's all that's left.

I suggested an algorithm upthread somewhere that uses allows those with higher fare class/* status the opportunity to claim these seats at check in, even using automated systems rather then handing them out at the gate to BE pax. Not sure if BE are given E+ at the kiosk if that's all that are left (reports seem to indicate yes for elites, but not sure about non-elites). All should be given a gate assignment if E+ is all, while offering regular fare paying *G and non-elite YBME (and maybe a couple of other fare classes below, based on flight and breakdown of fares) E+ for free at check in. Then moving the BE fares into the freed up E- seats - either giving them out to new ones who check in, or automatically assigning them at some intervals to already checked in BE fares, and sending a new BP by email (or allowing the GA to simply print up new BPs with the assignments already done. Seems pretty simple for a computer program to be able to do this in 2017. If it's just a GA delving these out at the gate, it's almost certain, and we've seen reports of it, too, they are giving out E+ to BE. It's a bad precendent to set if you want these folks to buy up to regular fares next time.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
. If it's just a GA delving these out at the gate, it's almost certain, and we've seen reports of it, too, they are giving out E+ to BE. It's a bad precendent to set if you want these folks to buy up to regular fares next time.
Traveled several times with friends on BE tickets who almost always (depending on the load of course) get E+ seats by the GAs. I could be wrong as I don't buy BE tickets but at times it appeared unavoidable with high load E- and minimal E+ seats taken they then just start filling E+ with BE.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Make BE Fares go away on United.com

Is there any profile or way so that the reservation system will never, ever shows me BE Fares. I don't plan on ever buying one of these things.

I've almost bought them a couple of times, as I'm so used to viewing the prices in the first column and I just am not interested in them.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Agreed. If we can toggle off BE on the mobile app, we should have that functionality on the full site. BE is a fare product I never, ever plan to use at UA and that is not an uncommon sentiment.

Perhaps it can be within Expert Mode?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.