Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
This is all about forcing pax into higher class economy fares (as many have said in the 600 posts). I really don't think UA expects many people to buy these BE fares or to significantly profit from charging for BE carry-ons. I'm guessing hardly anyone who's read this thread is going to buy a BE fare and if those fares aren't competitive with ULCCs it's just smoke and mirrors.
From the $150 million/yr (feel free to correct as I forget where I got this number from) UA expect to gain from rolling out BE I bet 90%+ comes from upfaring. I'd love to see the breakdown.

Last edited by ermintrude; Nov 20, 2016 at 11:55 pm Reason: grammar
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Long term, piggy-backing the ultra-LCC concept onto the main legacy brand must be very detrimental for the brand perception. Other carriers such as SQ or LH have successfully segregate most of the LCC business onto semi-detached daughters.

Not doing that leads to the abysmal coach experience that UA offers these days with inedible food and the worst of the inexperienced wildlings being shoved into E+ once E- checked in full.

And while hard to imagine, this could make the UA coach experience even worse than it currently is. On the intl. longhaul, it could further diminish drink and food offerings (quantity, quality cannot be lowered anymore).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Umm..really?

Ever flown within Europe? For the most part, even on legacies like BA and LH, no seat assignments in advance - even if you want to pay for them on intra-EU. I flew on IB proabably 3 years ago on LHR-MAD, and remember when US was highly critisized (and rightly so, IME), for charging for all beverages, even water? IB was doing that (and they didn't turn on the AVOD on the return flight on a 340.

Shall I continue? On LH long-haul, you have to pay for advance seat assignments in any economy class less then V (and yes, I just did this for both my wife and I, booked in W -
Ouch). Some lower fares, including TAtL ex-EU don't allow any changes at all, not even for a fee. Then there's the LH lite fares that don't allow baggage.

Looking for an example closer to home? AC debuted their Tango fares in the late 90s - maybe '97 or '98. The parameters have changed a bit, but at the time, these fares included no seat assignment (still the case today), and only earned 25% RDM/PQM.

Back in other places, lots don't allow mileage accrual unless you have a fairly high fare class.

Yes, US carriers can infuriate passengers, but make no mistake, lots of other carriers do this as well. That's not just a US thing.
Well explained.

I fly BA, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines most of the time and Royal Brunei if I am on a budget as well as Air Asia for connectivity purposes.

Air Asia are a LCC and the world's greatest LCC airliner the world has ever seen. 5 back to back consecutive number 1 ranking globally in the LCC category.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by wolf72

Air Asia are a LCC and the world's greatest LCC airliner the world has ever seen. 5 back to back consecutive number 1 ranking globally in the LCC category.
U.S. major airlines feel like LCC carriers already...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Good news (for me, anyway). Have confirmed with my company's global travel department that they will be excluding Basic Economy fares from our online booking tool, and that our corporate travel agency will also have policy in place to exclude these fares.

I'll just avoid ever booking these things for personal travel.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
Yes--and without the FA's as middlemen trying to broker deals it will be curious to see if civility breaks down...or if E+ or E pax end up with a now detached and unsupervised/scared 3-year old sitting next to them.
Nope. DOT regulartions will shortly require children to be seated with at least one parent/guardian. So in that case, the 3-year-old ain't sitting next to a stranger. I'm sure UA is coming up with a process to comply - how much of it might be holding some number of pairs of seats for this purpose until check in or the gate, or how much of it will be GA's having to move people, I don't know, but they'll need to do something.

Interestingly enough, last week, was waiting to board an AC flight at the barn at YYZ, and watched a mother, with a child, maybe about 2 in her stroller, yelling at an agent and calling her the B word because of a seating issue - not sure what it was exactly. Agent was actually very nice from what I saw - mom was not - agent actually prevented her from boarding unless she apologized, and it took her about 5 times saying this to actually do it. I really thought we were going to see supervisors and airport polce around. I really hope this doesn't occur frequently.

Originally Posted by hyho61
United BE is far worse than DL BE. Look for AA BE to be similar to DL BE. DL BE allows MQMs, life time miles and no restriction on carry on bags - restrictions are no advance seat assignments and no upgrades or standby.

United is getting more bad publicity than DL. Why cant they simply copy DL, like they do every time, instead of making it worse.
I disagree. Once you don't allow any changes whatsoever, even though I don't change tickets often (maybe once every two years or so), it doesn't matter, I'm not buying that type of ticket except in perhaps the rarest of circumstances. And it doesn't matter - the passenger who wants to change and can't doesn't care that they are getting MQMs. Since I don't fly them, MQMs on DL don't give me an advantage compared to a fare that doesn't earn them on UA. The biggest thing about UA is the lack of carry-on, so for most non-FFs, probably easily an added $25 for checked bag on every trip. I doubt many will figure that out until its actually time to check.

I think while UA is the first to implemement this kind of reduced carry-on allowance - I'd guess this is going to become more common when carriers can figure out the trick to implementing/enforcing it. Also, I think UA probably should have made this blanket on BE fares, not made an exception for elites.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Good news (for me, anyway). Have confirmed with my company's global travel department that they will be excluding Basic Economy fares from our online booking tool, and that our corporate travel agency will also have policy in place to exclude these fares.

Any sense why? Also any idea about the fare differential between E- and E?

Also (anyone?) Is there going to be a change to the reward chart to differentiate between E and E-?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But UA really hasn't matched many of those "Ultra Low Cost Carrier" fares. This might give them the ability to do so in the future. The only thing I've seen even close to a super low cost fare, domestically, have been a few SFO-LAS itins at sub-$100 r/t. One was $69. I could see UA making a $69 fare BE. For that matter, I could see any sub-$100 fare as being a candidate for BE. So what? That's not what many of us are buying.
I have definitely seen some ULCC fare matching. It becomes obvious when you have four nonstops on a route and the one whose time block most closely matches the ULCC is drastically less expensive than the rest. I think this is particularly true when the ULCC time block is already an inconvenient time so UA feels they will not be risking many business travelers switching to the drastically cheaper flight.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

I really really hope (but doubt) my company does the same. Otherwise this is my nightmare.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
This is all about forcing pax into higher class economy fares (as many have said in the 600 posts). I really don't think UA expects many people to buy these BE fares or to significantly profit from charging for BE carry-ons. I'm guessing hardly anyone who's read this thread is going to buy a BE fare and if those fares aren't competitive with ULCCs it's just smoke and mirrors.
From the $150 million/yr (feel free to correct as I forget where I got this number from) UA expect to gain from rolling out BE I bet 90%+ comes from upfaring. I'd love to see the breakdown.
it's like Apple only putting 16gb of memory in the base model of iPhones over the years... they make tons more money because it pushes people into buying more expensive(but identical) iPhones with more memory. at least they upped it to 32gb this year.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:47 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I have definitely seen some ULCC fare matching. It becomes obvious when you have four nonstops on a route and the one whose time block most closely matches the ULCC is drastically less expensive than the rest. I think this is particularly true when the ULCC time block is already an inconvenient time so UA feels they will not be risking many business travelers switching to the drastically cheaper flight.
During the week of 12/11 (and maybe others), for EWR->TPA, UA is matching Spirit's $69 OW fare. In some days, all flights, on others some flights. I agree that this is the kind of fare that can become a BE fare.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bizzarODog
I really really hope (but doubt) my company does the same. Otherwise this is my nightmare.
I've seen some pretty draconian travel policies, and even those exclude these "basic" economy fares. Not because of sympathy for the travelers' comfort or FF benefits, but its because of the no change policy of them. While most companies are willing to "risk" associated with non-refundables; they don't want to get stuck with tickets that must be thrown away completely if travel plans change.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Any sense why? Also any idea about the fare differential between E- and E?

Also (anyone?) Is there going to be a change to the reward chart to differentiate between E and E-?
My guess is that the biggest driver is inability to voluntarily change the ticket after the first 24 hours. That would be a huge negative for a company from a business travel perspective, particularly for a consultancy like mine where travel plans are often fluid.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Vulcan
During the week of 12/11 (and maybe others), for EWR->TPA, UA is matching Spirit's $69 OW fare. In some days, all flights, on others some flights. I agree that this is the kind of fare that can become a BE fare.
I booked EWR-RSW for $66 OW last week and saw fares as low as $59. They were pricing in the G bucket. There was a note during seat selection something like 'seats will be available for assignment if the fare permits' so UA is for sure getting ready for BE fares.

SL
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
I booked EWR-RSW for $66 OW last week and saw fares as low as $59. They were pricing in the G bucket. There was a note during seat selection something like 'seats will be available for assignment if the fare permits' so UA is for sure getting ready for BE fares.

SL
was talking about this my co-worker... she couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. other than the no-carry-on thing, she said it made no difference to her. mostly because she's only 5'1" and can be relatively comfortable even when stuck in any random seat, even a middle seat. that's the opposite of me... sitting in a window or middle seat feels worse than... well.. I don't know... I have not been in a window or middle seat for over 20 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.