Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But UA really hasn't matched many of those "Ultra Low Cost Carrier" fares. This might give them the ability to do so in the future. The only thing I've seen even close to a super low cost fare, domestically, have been a few SFO-LAS itins at sub-$100 r/t. One was $69. I could see UA making a $69 fare BE. For that matter, I could see any sub-$100 fare as being a candidate for BE. So what? That's not what many of us are buying.

What could hurt would be a scenario where there was a huge gap between BE and a "regular" fare. Take SFO-LAS. What if BE were $69 and the cheapest regular fare $250? That would hurt. But if the regular fare were $120, I'd likely pay the $120.

We're really making a very big deal out of something that may have little relevance to how most of us here fly. The exception would be if it were to spread to inexpensive international fares... because many of us fly those fares, unless we wish to play the GPU lottery.

well, they do and they don't. I have seen on route we frequent that the UA fare is about 25-50$ more per leg than say a SW/JB/VA flight, BUT when those carriers do fare sales in certain markets I have seen SOME flights on the united on the same routes - so directly competitive routes come DOWN to match the SW/JB/VA pricing. It only happens for short periods of time - similar to those other carriers sales or reduce inventory windows but it does happen. And again, ONLY for certain flights on UA not ALL flights of the same legs, and not the best times, but not CONNECTIONS, etc.

I fully expect there to be BE fares that WILL come down to match those carriers sales and opportunistic selling. But, in the same breath Ill say that our standard lowest priced regular economy fare TODAY is going to be the regular BE fare of TOMORROW. It's not going to be regularly priced lower than one would expect today, generally or on average.

So, what one is used to today, is going to cost MORE tomorrow (well, starting in Q2 2017 baring any domestic recession)

For me (us) I don't expect to be able to ever book a BE fare (being 6'5" means I need to book a seat and preferably ER/Aisle in E+). I don't care about CPU anymore since it NEVER happens for a 1P AT ALL, but I do care about being able to FIT in the seat and not run the risk of DVT or some other condition. And I usually bring a laptop bag and roller board and don't want to start checking bags and running that mess of pain.

So, I'm sure its going to start costing me at LEAST 10-15% more to book tickets on UA come 2017.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct. Mike was just pointing out that people who aren't looking to use a GPU will book the lowest fare, and is dreading if those fares become BE. Personally, I don't see a problem - if you don't want the BE fare, just don't book it.
at least some economy fares will continue to earn miles(including EQM)..

I remember many years ago there were a few airlines that only give miles for F, C and full Y fares. (can't remember which one it was... could it have been SQ or CX?)
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by iapetus
I think the last time I was asked to move was about two years ago (someone wanted to swap an E middle for an E+ window, IIRC); I had no problem saying no (I felt a little bad ... for a little bit). But I can't honestly recall the last time this happened to me. Does it happen very often to others?
It happens to me constantly. I get to 1K each year going back and forth to HNL and OGG. Flights to Hawaii, are populated by many couples. Or couples with kids. As a single guy, I am always the person located next to one of the newlyweds in F, so off to 1F I go!! It gets old. It can also be uncomfortable on the red eye home, because if I don't switch it is 6 hours next to the unhappy camper.

Here is something I don't get: You have an economy seat with a seat assignment. Somebody from BE asks you to switch so they can be next to their 3 year old. You agree to switch. Where do you go? They don't have a seat assignment. Just some random empty seat? I think they need to give these BE people seat assignments.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 5:34 pm

I guess the question is, are they simply introducing a brand new fare class at the bottom rung - and not changing anything else - or are they going to slowly 're-classify' the majority of non-refundable economy fares as 'basic' and basically force loyal flyers off their product since they don't offer miles for them anymore
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by denver19
It happens to me constantly. I get to 1K each year going back and forth to HNL and OGG. Flights to Hawaii, are populated by many couples. Or couples with kids. As a single guy, I am always the person located next to one of the newlyweds in F, so off to 1F I go!! It gets old. It can also be uncomfortable on the red eye home, because if I don't switch it is 6 hours next to the unhappy camper.

Here is something I don't get: You have an economy seat with a seat assignment. Somebody from BE asks you to switch so they can be next to their 3 year old. You agree to switch. Where do you go? They don't have a seat assignment. Just some random empty seat? I think they need to give these BE people seat assignments.
Is this any different from swapping a seat in E+ for one in E- to help someone out? I doubt this happens very much, and I don't see that changing.

So here's my version of the most-unfortunate scenario. Suppose you have a trip coming up, TCON maybe, 4 months out. UA displays some really favorable BE fares, maybe less than half anything else. So you bite and buy the BE fare. Later, fares come way down for regular buckets... and you have no way of buying your way out of h***. That would suck.

Again though, I don't see this as having much effect on elites, because very, very few of "us" would ever consider heading to the land of E-. E+ is indeed a very nice perk. If UA pushed things too far (raised "regular" fares too much), many would simply give up on the elite concept entirely. UA likely will be careful not to push it that far. They can't make money filling a plane with BE fares.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by findark
Trying to argue whether BE fares will be "the same as" current discount Economy is next to meaningless. What's your point of comparison?
Yes, of course we can never observe the counterfactual. Only United, and those with access to its pricing model, will ever know exactly how much the BE entry changes fares.

However, given that UAL jumped 6% on the BE announcement, I think the message to investors was pretty clear. They believe PRASM is definitely going up, not down.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

By the time they are asking you to switch (on board) they have a seat assignment.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, you're scenario makes no sense for at least 2 reasons. First, if someone asks you to swap (which IME, is fairly rare, but it happens even today to people who already have seat assignments), it's going to be on the aircraft, and yes, at that point, they will have a seat. No seat assignments means passengers don't get them in advance - they'll get tham at check in in most cases (though they won't be able to select it at all, it will just be given to them). So yes, they will have some sort of seat by then.

Second, in the not too distant future, DOT is requiring airlines to seat children under a certain age with at least one parent or guardian. So either this will happen anyway, except you'll be asked by the GA, or more likely, UA and other carriers will have some algorithim to hold seats aside for this purpose.

Let's not forget that UA isn't the first, by far, to offer fares that don't give seat assignments until check in. In fact, they are one of the last - European carriers (low cost and legacy) have been doing it for many years, AC for close to 15 - 20 on their Tango fares, WN hasn't ever had seat assignments, and DL with their E fares for the last year or two. Let's not make up stuff - yes, there are potential issues, but there are workarounds.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:32 pm

Alert the flight attendants? Just like when E- passengers try to poach E+ seats. If they are too cheap to pay for seat assignments so the three of them can sit together, too bad... The flight attendant should demand that they pay for the switched seats, just like how they collect the upgrade fee from E- to E+ onboard.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I would imagine that United credit card holders are likely to keep most of their status including their boarding group, bring a carry-on bag for free and are guaranteed to sit together with their party. What do you think?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Do airlines really, really need this basic economy?

Why is it, it seems to me, american airliners keep coming out with products that actually anger/enrage passengers than they do excite passengers?

You don't see this happen with other airlines around the world unless it's easy jet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2016 at 11:39 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.f
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wolf72
Do airlines really, really need this basic economy?

Why is it, it seems to me, american airliners keep coming out with products that actually anger/enrage passengers than they do excite passengers?

You don't see this kind of s*it happen with other airlines around the world unless it's easy jet.
No frills airlines are popular and financially successful in many parts of the world. I am sure you can think of some in your neck of the woods.

Flyertalkers aren't necessarily representative of their customer base, so the emotional reaction here isn't ncecessarily what you would get from a Spirit or Frontier flyer.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
(1) Is United going to use "N" fare class for basic economy?

(2) Is United going to rebook higher-fare-paying pax into "N" during irrops or other invol change situations?

I just volunteered to be denied boarding and was offered a flight which, when I looked at the protection record on my segment, was booked into "N". The relevant flight has inventory F0 Y1 B1 M1 E0 … N1 so I think the agent rebooked me from my booked class (W) into the lowest available class the system could sell (N).

Seems kind of wonky / insidious to be offered a dramatically lower fare class during an oversale, especially if it starts carrying special meaning!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do airlines really, really need this basic economy? ...
because a lot of infrequent passengers automatically pick the lowest fare option when booking

... Why is it, it seems to me, american airliners keep coming out with products that actually anger/enrage passengers than they do excite passengers?

You don't see this happen with other airlines around the world unless it's easy jet.
LH group LIGHT fares?

Originally Posted by mherdeg
o I think the agent rebooked me from my booked class (W) into the lowest available class the system could sell (N). .... Seems kind of wonky / insidious to be offered a dramatically lower fare class during an oversale, especially if it starts carrying special meaning!
Other have reported this also, at the present N is an unsold fare class BUT there are still tickets that were sold in N fare in the past year .. So for now this is just a system anomaly . Suspect once N is used for the Basic Economy, this behavior will stop.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2016 at 11:49 am Reason: self-merge
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I would imagine that United credit card holders are...guaranteed to sit together with their party. What do you think?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.