United charging for carry-ons?

Old Jun 24, 17, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
United charging for carry-ons?

We just booked a United flight from Chicago to Calgary. It looks like United may be charging for carry-ones but it is hard to tell. Can anyone advise on this? Trip was booked in early June and happens in August. Thank you!
Old Jun 24, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
What is fare class of your ticket?
Old Jun 24, 17, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
My mistake the fees at the bottom of the itin under "View" are for checked baggage.

The OP may have purchase a BE fare, and that what is appearing on his itin.
Old Jun 24, 17, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
The OP may have purchase a BE fare, and that what is appearing on his itin.
doubtful. OP is flying to YYC, unless things have changed very recently (like in the last week or less), BE is only available on fares domestically, and not to Canada or any other international destinations. And therefore, there is no fee for carryons - only for checked bags (or non-compliant carry one that get caught at the gate and checked there.
Old Jun 24, 17, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
doubtful. OP is flying to YYC, unless things have changed very recently (like in the last week or less), BE is only available on fares domestically, and not to Canada or any other international destinations. And therefore, there is no fee for carryons - only for checked bags (or non-compliant carry one that get caught at the gate and checked there.
10-4!

If it were me, rather than relying on everyone's opinion, without many facts being given, I'd just call res and ask what's it gonna cost!!!
Old Jun 24, 17, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Appzilla View Post
We just booked a United flight from Chicago to Calgary. It looks like United may be charging for carry-ones but it is hard to tell. Can anyone advise on this? Trip was booked in early June and happens in August. Thank you!
I just flew as a passenger on a flight operated by United Airlines a few weeks ago from Chicago to Calgary; and I was not charged for carrying anything aboard the aircraft in the economy class cabin.
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
This is correct — Basic Economy was not an option when I booked the flight last month.
Old Jun 24, 17, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
It's not clear to me whether OP's question is based on something that's showing on the reservation vs. the various media reports on UA's "basic economy" fares.
Old Jun 24, 17, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
It looks like United may be charging for carry-ones
Where does it look like that?
Old Jun 24, 17, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Where does it look like that?
Google search - (United charging for carry-on's) reveals lots of hot poop on the subject, which confuses the flying public even more than they already are.

Again, if I were the OP and really wanted to know the true cost, I'd call UAL!
Old Jun 24, 17, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
It is not clear from the post on the nature of the issue -- so it would be helpful to provide a few more details.

What leads you to believe their will be a carry-on bag fee?
Who is operating the flight? UA or AC? Flight number?
Do you have any status?

Generally for flights in North America there are checked bag fees. For some domestic flights and some fares there is a limitation to 1 personal item for carry-on bags. Do not believe that limitation applies presently to UA flights to Canada -- you can have 1 personal item and 1 small carry-on bag included for the ticket.
Old Jun 24, 17, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
Google search - (United charging for carry-on's) reveals lots of hot poop on the subject, which confuses the flying public even more than they already are.
Is that where OP saw it? Why did OP think that applied to them? What is the point of the speculation in your post?
Old Jun 24, 17, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Everything's conjecture until the OP comes back and posts some answers.
Old Jun 24, 17, 4:38 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.97MM, Marriott Plat, National Exec
There's a fairly simple answer to this.
1. If you booked a Basic Economy fare (fare class "N"), you will only be allowed to carry on a small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. If you have a second item, or a large carry on (e.g., roll-aboard suitcase), you will be required to gate check it, and will be charged for that.
2. If you did not book Basic Economy (all fare classes except "N", including ones like "T" and "K" and "Y"), then absolutely nothing has changed and you will be able to carry on one bag and one small personal item just like always.
Old Jun 24, 17, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QBK View Post
There's a fairly simple answer to this.
1. If you booked a Basic Economy fare (fare class "N"), you will only be allowed to carry on a small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. If you have a second item, or a large carry on (e.g., roll-aboard suitcase), you will be required to gate check it, and will be charged for that.
2. If you did not book Basic Economy (all fare classes except "N", including ones like "T" and "K" and "Y"), then absolutely nothing has changed and you will be able to carry on one bag and one small personal item just like always.
There are no international BE fares as of yet so not a simple answer. Been stated a couple times in this thread.

Last edited by Baze; Jun 24, 17 at 6:00 pm Reason: Hate auto correct. fixed it
Old Jun 24, 17, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In browsing around FT, I noticed this original post was made in Travel Buzz, and moved to the UA forum. My guess is the OP saw some media reports, but have to see if they come back and find their thread again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: