Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I can't believe I'm actually considering BE, but it's half the price of a "regular" Economy fare. I just wanted to check with you all to see about boarding and baggage for *G companions. The language on .bomb is pretty clear about Premier companions receiving benefits, but not about *G and/or credit cardholders:
You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member.
Based on usfly's post from earlier this year, it seems like a non-UA Star Gold's companion will get Group 2 and carry-on (and 1 checked bag each too?). Is that really the case? Thanks!

Originally Posted by usfly
Hello,

I have Basic Economy on a roundtrip itinerary in a few months with one other person on the PNR. I am *G, my travel companion is not. I just learned that I will not be flying back on the return leg, while my travel companion will be. (We will both be on the outbound.)

(a) Given that BE is nonrefundable, is there any reason why I would cancel my leg of the ticket?
(b) Will my travel companion still be in Boarding Group 2 (to get the free carry-on) if we both check in, but I don't take the flight? Would this cause any problems at the gate if one person on the itinerary doesn't travel?

Thank you.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-SMF

WN = UA BE

As a MM if Kirby hadn't been so daft and removed lifetime miles from the BE equation*, I would've probably given the nod to UA. Now UA is out and not even a player at the non BE fare. That being said, UA may not want the business at the BE price point and is just matching WN because they have no choice.

*I can usually adjust with the times but I think if you fly on a paid ticket you should earn lifetime miles, period.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Sep 27, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
According to UA's management, UA has been sending customers to the competition.
Fully aware of that. My point was that this is so inane that one has to almost wonder if they are doing it intentionally...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
You may be able to do OLCI with a BE fare. You will only be able to get a boarding pass if you either have elite status / a United-branded Chase credit card or if you indicate that you're checking at least one bag. Passengers with no status and no luggage have to use the kiosk and likely see an agent. (Depending on how charitable you're feeling, either UA is enforcing the no-carry-on rule extremely strictly or they're trying to make sure that you don't get surprised at the gate with a $50 fee).

You may or may not get a seat assignment. If you do not, it will be assigned at the gate. If you have more than one flight, you may get an immediate seat assignment for some flights but not for others.
Just adding my own experiences here, since I recently did BE while being a United Chase card holder, but without any status. I was able to OLCI and skip the kiosk for a BE flight purchased directly through United.com. I even got an email reminder sent to me.

I flew another BE booked with points through the UR portal, and experienced the "cannot check in online, please see an agent" message. I then had to argue with the counter agent that I was allowed a full size carry-on because of the credit card, but they relented before I had to point out it was stated on the large posters in front of them.

Did not get an E+ seat, but did get randomly assigned a window seat
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Does a Basic Economy fare still allow active military to waive their bag fees? I reached out to UA on Twitter, and they said yes, the bag fees are still waived, but my colleague flew from DFW on UA and they would not waive the bag fee despite him showing his ID. I want to purchase the BE ticket for an upcoming itinerary, as it is $77 vs. $218 for the regular economy ticket (what a price difference) but I'm still nervous.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by plinth857
Does a Basic Economy fare still allow active military to waive their bag fees? I reached out to UA on Twitter, and they said yes, the bag fees are still waived, but my colleague flew from DFW on UA and they would not waive the bag fee despite him showing his ID. I want to purchase the BE ticket for an upcoming itinerary, as it is $77 vs. $218 for the regular economy ticket (what a price difference) but I'm still nervous.
Even if the fare did not include the bag fee for military, wouldn't it be less costly to do BE + Bag Fee vs. $218?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plinth857
Here's what UA has published:

Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets. You can still check your bags and pay the applicable service charge in the airport lobby when you're picking up your boarding pass.
You will not be allowed to carry a full-size bag onto the plane, but you should be granted your full* checked baggage allowance at check-in, assuming all flights are United or United Express. Your colleague should write in to UA for a refund.

* 3 bags, up to 70 pounds each, on personal travel; 5 bags on orders / relocation.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Even if the fare did not include the bag fee for military, wouldn't it be less costly to do BE + Bag Fee vs. $218?
That's a good point. Still well below the competitors.

I do think it's unfortunate though that their policy seems to be administered differently by different agents. However, that won't keep me from making a purchase.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tennen
I can't believe I'm actually considering BE, but it's half the price of a "regular" Economy fare. I just wanted to check with you all to see about boarding and baggage for *G companions. The language on .bomb is pretty clear about Premier companions receiving benefits, but not about *G and/or credit cardholders:

Based on usfly's post from earlier this year, it seems like a non-UA Star Gold's companion will get Group 2 and carry-on (and 1 checked bag each too?). Is that really the case? Thanks!
Yes you'll still get all normal *G benefits. I flew UA BE a few weeks ago as *G and you still get 1 free bag for you and 1 companion, as well as Premier Access including Group 2 boarding so you will be allowed to bring a carry on. You can also check in online, unlike other BE nok status customers.
sodaisei likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by zeer0
Yes you'll still get all normal *G benefits. I flew UA BE a few weeks ago as *G and you still get 1 free bag for you and 1 companion, as well as Premier Access including Group 2 boarding so you will be allowed to bring a carry on. You can also check in online, unlike other BE nok status customers.
That's great! Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Intl F connecting to Basic Economy

Flying ANA F from Tokyo to Chicago and purchased a separate United basic economy ticket to connect onward from Chicago. I’m assuming ANA won’t have an issue through checking my bags, since it’s united, but will I have any issue with the bag drop after immigration since it’s a basic economy ticket?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You will never know this until you check in for your flight. At that time, whatever the NH GA tags your baggage is the end result.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Flying ANA F from Tokyo to Chicago and purchased a separate United basic economy ticket to connect onward from Chicago. I’m assuming ANA won’t have an issue through checking my bags, since it’s united, but will I have any issue with the bag drop after immigration since it’s a basic economy ticket?
Basic Economy does not change the checked bag rules -- same as any other economy fare. Basic Economy (if non-elite or non-credit card holder) will limit your carry-on and boarding group. Additionally, you will not be able to pick your seat assignment, it will be assigned by UA at check-in or at the airport.

If NH does not check thru, you will just check the bag at the bag drop. Takes a little bit longer but being Basic Economy does not change anything.

If NH does not check-thru (which is unlikely) you will have to pay a check bag fee (again the same for Economy or basic Economy)(if non-elite or non-credit card holder)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2017 at 8:12 pm Reason: bag fee
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Basic Economy does not change the checked bag rules -- same as any other economy fare. Basic Economy (if non-elite or non-credit card holder) will limit your carry-on and boarding group. Additionally, you will not be able to pick your seat assignment, it will be assigned by UA at check-in or at the airport.

If NH does not check thru, you will just check the bag at the bag drop. Takes a little bit longer but being Basic Economy does not change anything.

If NH does not check-thru (which is unlikely) you will have to pay a check bag fee (again the same for Economy or basic Economy)(if non-elite or non-credit card holder)
Let me rephrase. If NH checks my bags all the way to say, Orlando, and I show up in ORD at the post immigration United baggage drop with three bags already tagged to MCO, United won’t charge me bag fees even though I’m on a separate ticket that’s basic economy?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Let me rephrase. If NH checks my bags all the way to say, Orlando, and I show up in ORD at the post immigration United baggage drop with three bags already tagged to MCO, United won’t charge me bag fees even though I’m on a separate ticket that’s basic economy?
If NH checked you thru, no. You have the needed bag tag already.

Again BE or Economy would make no difference in how this plays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.