Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
Just adding my own experiences here, since I recently did BE while being a United Chase card holder, but without any status. I was able to OLCI and skip the kiosk for a BE flight purchased directly through United.com. I even got an email reminder sent to me.

I flew another BE booked with points through the UR portal, and experienced the "cannot check in online, please see an agent" message. I then had to argue with the counter agent that I was allowed a full size carry-on because of the credit card, but they relented before I had to point out it was stated on the large posters in front of them.

Did not get an E+ seat, but did get randomly assigned a window seat
I think the agent was correct. Part of getting the CC bag waiver is that you must book your flight with that card. UR redemption uses a different form of payment...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
I think the agent was correct. Part of getting the CC bag waiver is that you must book your flight with that card. UR redemption uses a different form of payment...
I think the CC waiver for the checked bag fee on your first bag requires that you book with your card. This is the same for BE or normal Y.

This appears to be unrelated to the privilege that CC/status folk have which allows them to bring a full-sized carry-on even on a BE ticket, which is linked to the Boarding Group 2 privilege, which doesn't require using the card for the purchase.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by threeoh
This appears to be unrelated to the privilege that CC/status folk have which allows them to bring a full-sized carry-on even on a BE ticket, which is linked to the Boarding Group 2 privilege, which doesn't require using the card for the purchase.
Yes, it does if you have a MileagePlus Explorer credit card and no elite status.
Carry-on baggage

If you have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card. Footnote 1

<snip>

Footnote 1: The passenger must be the primary cardmember of an eligible United MileagePlus Card from Chase at time of check-in, and ticket(s) must have been purchased using their card in order to qualify.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
Yes, it does if you have a MileagePlus Explorer credit card and no elite status.
But BG2 has just required having a card linked to the account.

It has been reported GAs are triggering on BG for watching for the carryons, so there maybe be a loophole.

In the BE FAQs it states
Q: If my MileagePlus credit card qualifies for priority boarding benefits, will those benefits apply on Basic Economy tickets?
A: Yes, if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits.
No mention of using the cc to purchase the ticket.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:02 am

The email confirmation I had at the time of the flight, which I showed the agent at check in, says "As a primary cardholder of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card you will be allowed a full-sized carry-on." A 2nd agent reviewed my email and confirmed I could bring the bag. It was well handled and the agents were courteous
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
The email confirmation I had at the time of the flight, which I showed the agent at check in, says "As a primary cardholder of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card you will be allowed a full-sized carry-on." A 2nd agent reviewed my email and confirmed I could bring the bag....
If you were in boarding group 2 a switch should flick on in the agent's mind and they shouldn't be checking anything - this isn't rocket science. Could be a contract employee and IME many of those are poorly trained.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Hi all.....I'm a 1K and will never buy the basic economy fare for all the obvious reasons.....how can I filter them out when I do a search?? The reason why I ask is sometimes I see a cheap fare and than notice its basic econ and just got my hopes up...I'd rather just see the standard economy fare
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Hi all.....I'm a 1K and will never buy the basic economy fare for all the obvious reasons.....how can I filter them out when I do a search?? The reason why I ask is sometimes I see a cheap fare and than notice its basic econ and just got my hopes up...I'd rather just see the standard economy fare
I do it by selecting "Business or First" in my search query. The result shows regular economy as well as First/Business but does not show Basic Economy.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nycityny
I do it by selecting "Business or First" in my search query. The result shows regular economy as well as First/Business but does not show Basic Economy.
Yup, this is what I do. It's defaulted in my profile so I have to proactively select Economy to see BE fares.

However, changing your search from the search page re-defaults to Economy again
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

I'm a regular user of the flexible schedule option which lists the fares for the entire month......It seems there's no way to filter out just the BE so it can give you just the standard economy....For example when I looked at the flights from MCO-IAD in January it listed an $86 fare....I was so happy and about to grab it....however the $86 was just for BE....the standard Econ was $190......I understand the IT side of it but at least work an opinion in to filter out some fares so this doesn't happen....
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I'm a regular user of the flexible schedule option which lists the fares for the entire month......It seems there's no way to filter out just the BE so it can give you just the standard economy....
......I understand the IT side of it but at least work an opinion in to filter out some fares so this doesn't happen....
You are probably a member of a rather small customer set -- cheapest flights, flexible travel times, leisure destination but willing to pay more for certain additional benefits.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You are probably a member of a rather small customer set -- cheapest flights, flexible travel times, leisure destination but willing to pay more for certain additional benefits.
I'm a member of that set. Small set or not that calendar should accommodate us.

The calendar really needs filters anyway. You can't even get it to include "nonstop only," something I'm sure lots of people prefer. Right now it just gives the lowest fare between two points without regard for any other factor. Rather useless at times.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:35 pm

Interesting response from Customer Care regarding our incident with BE carry-on baggage at SFO as a MP Explorer card holder (ticket WAS bought using the card):
We regret any misunderstanding of the bag waiver provisions for Basic Economy tickets.

Carry-on: A full-sized carry-on bag is not allowed unless the customer is a:
• MileagePlus Premier member or companion (s) traveling on the same reservation
• Primary MileagePlus credit card member and companion (traveling on the same reservation)
o Qualifying MileagePlus credit card must be used to purchase the ticket
• Star Alliance Gold member
They are inconsistent about whether the card needs to be used to qualify for the carry-on bag in BE.

Two places on their website it says you just need to be a card holder. One place it says you need to purchase the ticket.

Someone else on this thread has email saying you just need to be a card member. Now this email from them says you need to purchase the ticket as well.

And then there is a standard boarding announcement about BG5 only being the ones with the limit.

They do need to clear this up -- but requiring the CC to be used will make it a hassle at the gate since it means BG2/5 will no longer be enough to figure out whether you are allowed a carry-on.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
99% sure the intent is that you need only to hold the card; there is no feasible way to control for this other than boarding group printed on your BP.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I made a mistake today... I checked in a few hours early since I was at the airport anyway. I am on a BE fare. Now that I'm waiting at the gate, the two people sitting next to me at the gate are also on BE fares, except they went to the podium for seat assignments and were given E+ seats.

So, the moral of this story is, check in as late as possible for BE if you want a shot at E+

(I only bought this BE fare because it's a short hop on an E170, and there are no bad seats on this aircraft type)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.