FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:12 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plinth857
Does a Basic Economy fare still allow active military to waive their bag fees? I reached out to UA on Twitter, and they said yes, the bag fees are still waived, but my colleague flew from DFW on UA and they would not waive the bag fee despite him showing his ID. I want to purchase the BE ticket for an upcoming itinerary, as it is $77 vs. $218 for the regular economy ticket (what a price difference) but I'm still nervous.
Here's what UA has published:

Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as standard Economy tickets. You can still check your bags and pay the applicable service charge in the airport lobby when you're picking up your boarding pass.
You will not be allowed to carry a full-size bag onto the plane, but you should be granted your full* checked baggage allowance at check-in, assuming all flights are United or United Express. Your colleague should write in to UA for a refund.

* 3 bags, up to 70 pounds each, on personal travel; 5 bags on orders / relocation.