Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by VRFast
This should answer your question. Look for "From Economy to Premium Plus". Both business and economy upgrade awards are listed, flying Mainland US to South Asia (?).
Depending on your fare class upgrading from and the availability of upgrade space (big question), shouldn't be more than 30k miles, no copay. However, you made the right call IMO to buy up.

https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards
Thanks! I saw this but wasn't sure how to calculate it since my original ticket was XN since it was a saver award ticket (and probably only visible due to me holding a United card). I'll just take it that I had the cheapest ticket and thus it would have been 30k miles (which I don't have since I'm saving my miles for another trip lol)
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by view
Data point - I booked Premium Plus transatlantic yesterday and my domestic UA connection allowed me to pick seats in Economy Plus (domestic leg booked in B-class), I have no UA status to grant me access to E+ otherwise.
That was my experience as well. I was able to select any available E+ seat at booking.
SPN Lifer and sobore like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Seat assignments are never guaranteed. However, employees are generally* not allowed to boot other passengers out of a seat assignment because they'd prefer it. If you're certain that the people who took your seats were employees, I'd write to United to let them know -- something like, "FYI, I was on flight 1234 and I got removed from my preferred aisle seat after boarding and put back into a window seat. Although I realize that seat assignments are not guaranteed, I was very disappointed when I saw that I'd actually been re-seated to make room for United personnel."

That said, you're always going to be in better shape with a paper boarding pass, because you can show that you did have claim to that seat at one time. That's tougher to do with the electronic passes. If these people really were trying to pull a fast one, they may have been counting on you not being able to prove your point easily. (It's all in the computer, of course).

* Unless they've managed to negotiate it into their contracts. However, I find it hard to believe that UA would have specified a Premium Plus seat priority for flight attendants, especially if they really were off-duty (i.e, commuting, as opposed to deadheading).
a month ago i was on LAX-IAD on a 787 with the PP seating. It swapped between a 777 and 787 and seats were shuffled.Gate agent was swarmed with families complaining their party got split up.

Luckily ours did not change and were still in the PP section and all around us were FA's. Over head them talking about how they asked the gate agent to move them from the back to the front. Some other passengers that were supposed to be seated nearby got moved to the nonPP E+ seats and were audibly upset as they were boarding/passing by lol. I don't think any FA's took their seats though. I'm assuming it was just seats that cleared up when they started clearing for upgrades. (the irked passengers was eyeing 20A/C while the FA's were seated in 20/21/22 FJL)
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by goodtasting
I had a flight cancellation and instead of flying HNL-NRT-SIN, I am now flying HNL-SFO-SIN. I managed to get an upgrade to E+ which now shows a seat upgrade possibility for the 16h flight from SFO-SIN to Premium Plus for $287/person. I remember checking upgrade options on my previous award flight and this seems like a good deal, but just wanted to see what others thought. Have never flown Premium Plus before.
For a flight that long, it's a no-brainer. $287 for the SFO-SIN segment comes out to like $17/flight hour.
Kmxu and goodtasting like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:52 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We are thinking about Ireland for next year. I couldn’t find any Premium Plus seats from either Dublin or Shannon. It looks like these are the old 757s. Does anyone know if UA will ever add the premium seats to this aircraft?

Or does Aer Lingus offer a similar product?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Ericka
We are thinking about Ireland for next year. I couldn’t find any Premium Plus seats from either Dublin or Shannon. It looks like these are the old 757s. Does anyone know if UA will ever add the premium seats to this aircraft?

Or does Aer Lingus offer a similar product?
We looked for Premium Plus seating to Dublin as well and found nothing on any UA offered flights listed as alternatives unless we were willing to go through one of the UK or continental airports. We ended up choosing to go through LHR because it fit our scheduling needs.
Bought the O fare PP seats and then put in plus points for Polaris.
I did check the Aer Lingus site and saw no Premium Plus options and no same day options out of EWR.
Ericka likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:00 pm

On the EWR-GVA flight right now. Was scheduled to fly J, got downgrade after I showed up late to a closed flight.

It's actually a pretty good seat. Has a foot rest and a leg rest. The foot rest can be adjusted by pushing it up all the way and then pulling down, it doesn't have too many positions, I would have made it go a little lowe
Leg rest I can't use, not sure who they designed it for, unless you sit very up right.​​​​
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sillypainter
Has a foot rest and a leg rest. The foot rest can be adjusted by pushing it up all the way and then pulling down, it doesn't have too many positions, I would have made it go a little lowe
Leg rest I can't use, not sure who they designed it for, unless you sit very up right.​​​​
Or have very short legs.

David
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
For sure the foot/leg rest of the bulk head seats could have been improved. You sort of have to jimmy rig them with your bag or other items to make it more useful.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if E+ is offered for connections from Premium Economy on other carriers. I booked a flight on AC with the first and last leg operated by UA (B fare); will this allow seating in E+?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Does anyone know if E+ is offered for connections from Premium Economy on other carriers. I booked a flight on AC with the first and last leg operated by UA (B fare); will this allow seating in E+?
I do not know the answer, but you can find it for me, by clicking an E+ seat on the map in changing seat section. If there is no $ amount associated with it, you will select that seat for free.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First Row of PP?

We're currently in the first row of PP (row 20 on a 787-8), and I have two questions. Does row have less legroom than the rows behind it because of a bulkhead? Secondly, does the TV come up out of the armrest, making you look down at it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hotscot
IWe're currently in the first row of PP (row 20 on a 787-8), and I have two questions. Does row have less legroom than the rows behind it because of a bulkhead? ...
no, if anything more because the footrests on the other rows constrict where your legs can go (not a fan of those leg rests)

Originally Posted by hotscot
ISecondly, does the TV come up out of the armrest, making you look down at it?
Just it depends on your upper torso height but yes the screens are lower than the seat back screens.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
We're currently in the first row of PP (row 20 on a 787-8), and I have two questions. Does row have less legroom than the rows behind it because of a bulkhead? Secondly, does the TV come up out of the armrest, making you look down at it?

Thanks!
I disagree with the response that the BH has more legroom. You can't stretch your legs under the seat in front of you. I'm 6'2". I avoid the BH.

Last edited by elitefreak; Jul 16, 2022 at 10:41 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I disagree with the response that the BH has more legroom. You can't stretch your legs under the seat in front of you. I'm 6'2". I avoid the BH.
True. But your shins go up against the foot pedals and back of the seat structure in the other PP seats:

Also, there's not really space under those seats unfortunately:

David
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.