Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Any idea on catering on PP ORD-HNL. Will it be upgraded catering from Y?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by bubbashow
has been same as J for all domestic PP routes

Originally Posted by zeus2120
Same experience here. I'd rather pay for an extra seat in economy plus than ever pay for Premium again. I wonder system wide how the PP option is doing in terms of the revenue it brings in vs just having economy plus seats in that space. I just finished a trip in PP on the 777 and honestly hated it. It was the third time in PP for me. The area of the cabin is super noisy due to engine location -- and the vibrations are really noticeable. There's 0 privacy if sitting in the last row of PP. And if you're lucky enough like me to have screaming babies in the bulkhead behind you it makes it even better! The food is near inedible but served on a fancy tray. I wonder if it'll last.
This is the first post on here wondering if PP will last. It has proven to be a popular offering
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
This is the first post on here wondering if PP will last. It has proven to be a popular offering
At a macro level (reading from earnings reports and presentations), it would seem that the naming is working very well on international routes, getting people to pay substantial fares because it's "only nicer Economy, not some crazy lavish expense like J" to the point where RASM adjusted for cabin footprint is actually higher than J (forget how much of that is UA specific versus other airlines reporting on PE).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by findark
At a macro level (reading from earnings reports and presentations), it would seem that the naming is working very well on international routes, getting people to pay substantial fares because it's "only nicer Economy, not some crazy lavish expense like J" to the point where RASM adjusted for cabin footprint is actually higher than J (forget how much of that is UA specific versus other airlines reporting on PE).
which is why the O cabin needs to be greatly expanded, and J reduced in size
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
which is why the O cabin needs to be greatly expanded, and J reduced in size
While I would like to see that, one needs to be careful about that as increased PremPlus would undoubtedly lower its RASM.

I wonder how much of PresPlus success is about an improved seat versus an improved upgrade priority. Suspect it is some of both and upgrade priority move was a very clever step.
SPN Lifer, 8MiHi and jcturnbull like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I would like to see that, one needs to be careful about that as increased PremPlus would undoubtedly lower its RASM.

I wonder how much of PresPlus success is about an improved seat versus an improved upgrade priority. Suspect it is some of both and upgrade priority move was a very clever step.
Couldn't we also implement only single cabin upgrades? Y-O and O-J. Force people to buy O if they want to sit into J

Make O 42 inch pitch to match ANZ and 2-3-2 on the 777? That would at least provide a meaningful upgrade moving from Y-O
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:07 pm

Did nice pillows and headphones ever make their way to PP domestic (EWR-LAX/SFO)?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Flew OGG-ORD earlier this week. Not sure if it's the same as HNL but catering was breaded chicken or tofu. 14 chicken trays loaded and 10 tofu trays. Only had 7 people in PP so no issue getting what I wanted. Chicken came with rice, another dish of a cold rice & spam (I think), a packaged small cookie, and an inedible packaged dinner roll. Breakfast was a protein bowl or scrambled eggs, yogurt, and croissant with butter and jelly. Y doesn't get breakfast.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Force people to buy O if they want to sit into J
Have you seen the waitlists? Often that's exactly what's necessary in order for upgrades to clear.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by econ
Have you seen the waitlists? Often that's exactly what's necessary in order for upgrades to clear.
I wouldn't allow GS to go from Y-J. No 2 cabin upgrades (which is the reason why I'd make O a bit nicer as not to totally annoy GS and definitely not annoy a CC)
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:51 am

I think UA could get away with increasing the Premium Plus cabin by maybe a row or two without a material decrease in RASM especially if they cannibalize the Economy seats behind that cabin to accomplish that.

Personally for me, the biggest value prop is space, with priority services on the ground and nicer amenities being a distant secondary consideration. Since I don't hold MP status upgrade priority isn't even a consideration. Upgrade priority probably sweetens the pot for people who have a realistic chance at one.

Also the marginal premium for Premium Plus over Economy/Economy Plus is easier to swallow than the premium for Business imo. It's my go-to cabin for transoceanic flights. I actually find that in some cases the Economy Plus buy-up is the most overpriced (e.g. $250+ each way on international flights).
Old Dec 10, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Premium Plus ORD-HNL

I realize my handle is outdated, however, I now live in Oahu. Grandparents (70s) are flying FNT-ORD-HNL next month. I can get them economy plus on the 789-10 but I can also upgrade them to premium Plus (I think that's what's United site called it) for $349 per on flight to HNL, we don't have a return date set. Is it worth it? It looks like they get extra leg room, enhanced meal service, complimentary drinks, and the seats does appear to redline similar or more than a standard domestic first class seat?? Thoughts on if I should upgrade them or stick with the economy plus. This is the first time I will have seen them in person since 2019 pre COVID. Want to have them enjoy experience. They are connecting from an early AM CRJ from FNT. Thanks flyertalk community for any insight.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
These discussions are always personal and highly variable.

I would happily pay $349 to move from Economy to what is effectively a domestic F seat for a 9-hour flight and consider it a good deal.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by kss5555
I realize my handle is outdated, however, I now live in Oahu. Grandparents (70s) are flying FNT-ORD-HNL next month. I can get them economy plus on the 789-10 but I can also upgrade them to premium Plus (I think that's what's United site called it) for $349 per on flight to HNL, we don't have a return date set. Is it worth it? It looks like they get extra leg room, enhanced meal service, complimentary drinks, and the seats does appear to redline similar or more than a standard domestic first class seat?? Thoughts on if I should upgrade them or stick with the economy plus. This is the first time I will have seen them in person since 2019 pre COVID. Want to have them enjoy experience. They are connecting from an early AM CRJ from FNT. Thanks flyertalk community for any insight.
Your money is better spent buying them an extra seat in an E+ row (2 seats with the middle open). PP is definitely not as good as typical domestic First.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by kss5555
Advantages over E+ include
a wider seat, but not as wide as most domestic F
A premium meal service
2 bags
a footrest
a wider screen TV
Premier access
Greater legroom and recline

If it were my parents I would do it for that price. Buying 3 E+ seats is not as appealing to me. YMMV
EmailKid, kss5555, lhrsfo and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.