Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sammybk
Sorry to ask this in two threads, but thought it was relevant here. If a 787-9 flight isn't showing PP or seat blocking, but later swaps over, is it best to pick rows 20-22 to get reassigned into PP automatically?
If it will be a flight on a route without a marketed PremiumPlus cabin, it's worth a try. If it's a route that markets PremiumPlus on so-equipped a/c, you will be moved to non-PremPlus seats at UA's whim. Example would be a 772HD Denver to Honolulu - one could hope booking front E+ seats in the 777HD coach cabin will hold if a 773 is swapped in, but they won't as the seat behind F will be marketed as PremPlus on a 773.

On the other hand, if a (hypothetical, as Dreamliners are rare to HNL) HNL-SFO 781 is subbed for a 788, the front coach seat holders might find themselves in a nice PremPlus seat that is treated as E+.
SPN Lifer and kenpasadena like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 24, 2022 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Note, however, that even on a non-PE marketed route, it is definitely not 100% that the first few rows of old E+ end up in the PE seats. It can still be a random scramble.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by boat stuck
It was more comfortable than it looks 😌
I'll give you credit for creating something that would make Rube Goldberg proud. However, I would rather sleep on the floor in front of the seats than in that torture device.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Had my first PP experience last night on IAD - LHR. Some thoughts:
  • Seat is pretty comfortable, would definitely equate it with domestic F+ but a touch more pitch and additional leg support from both the chair and the footrest and I had plenty of room in 23 even after the seat in front of me reclined
  • They did 2x runs of alcohol and it was the same service that was going to Y -- first one they poured wine from bottles, second it was just sealed mini-wines (and then I got a bonus wine from a great FA who saw my empty glass and offered me another). As noted elsewhere no liquor was on the cart -- if I had asked not sure what would've happened but didn't feel like being 'that guy' so stuck with wine
  • Dinner was confusing, we were offered chicken and orzo or butternut squash ravioli -- it appeared those were exclusive to PP and then when they got to Y it changed to a different set of options but it was all being served from the same cart so unclear
  • In fairness the dinner was all served on a proper tray with proper dishes and utensils
  • Breakfast was some sort of pastry (I declined so not sure exactly what) and then I saw them give Y some sort of Chobani yogurt for breakfast that I honestly would've been happy to have so wish that had been offered to me
  • The fact my Airpods Max don't connect to airline IFE is ridiculous for such an expensive headset (which otherwise is an awesome headset) but that's not on UA that is on Apple
  • At first it wasn't clear to me that we could use the Polaris back J lavatory but I saw others use it so switched to that one and it was very convenient and well maintained

Certainly a step up of economy -- on this ticket I think the difference in cost was $500-600, would I pay that out of my own pocket? Probably not for IAD - LHR though maybe for TPAC but I'm happy to have that over E+ when the company policy allows and is willing to pay for it. Will be back on this in a few weeks to Zurich (if my upgrade to J doesn't clear -- and it's not looking good) so will be curious to see how it differs with a non-LHR crew
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
  • The fact my Airpods Max don't connect to airline IFE is ridiculous for such an expensive headset (which otherwise is an awesome headset) but that's not on UA that is on Apple
Try this, it works perfectly for me: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...th-transmitter
Say Vandelay, Duke787 and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gusd
Try this, it works perfectly for me: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...th-transmitter
Thanks will order one when I get back to the US (doesn’t look like the Apple Store in London has it)
gusd likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Thanks will order one when I get back to the US (doesn’t look like the Apple Store in London has it)
You can also get one of these:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...udio-cable-12m

AirFly gives you the cordless flexibility but it a) needs charging and b) can be a little clunky with the pairing, particularly if you are switching between two different headsets (say AirPods Max and AirPods Pro)
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Skytizen
... Is that E+ seat better than Premium Plus "cabin"? They call it a Premium Plus "cabin", but its just an extension of coach as you know... ....
PremPlus (than E+) has a wider seat with more recline and seat pitch. Leg rests. More padding
On international routes, the F&B in PremPlus is a selected version (2 enteries instead of 3) from Polaris, not economy food
2 checked bags vs 1 for most international economy routes
Higher upgrade priority for paid PremPlus to Polaris

PremPlus is a significant difference from E+
1234abcd likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gusd
Flew PPlus last night and I wish I had one of these as my old fashioned headphone wire kept getting unplugged and I had to contort and turn on my flashlight to get it back in. But given the hidden position of the jack, my luck I would leave this dongle on the plane.
Duke787 and Wooglin like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:56 pm

If we book E+ TATL seats with award miles, and P+ seats open up due to upgrades J, what do we need to do up move up to P+? If P+ opens up, I guess it will show up in the seating chart. Can we upgrade to P+ on line? If so, is it cash only difference, or can you use miles?
Old May 7, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’m looking at flights for sfo-Cdg in July. I’m a little perplexed as to why Premium Economy is not available for sale for several days, on both inbound and outbound, even though the seat map appears to show plenty availability. Could it be a large group hasn’t yet chosen their seats? Or is it possible they’re planning on swapping out the plane for a non Polaris version?
Old May 7, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
Smile LAX-HNL

777-300 ER switched out on my flight to HNL from LAX. I was in an economy plus seat but was able to get into the Premium Economy section on this plane. If they dont switch it out again, will I be able to stay here or will they start selling premium economy plus on this short hop to Hawaii?
Old May 7, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kenpasadena
777-300 ER switched out on my flight to HNL from LAX. I was in an economy plus seat but was able to get into the Premium Economy section on this plane. If they dont switch it out again, will I be able to stay here or will they start selling premium economy plus on this short hop to Hawaii?
its not guaranteed. If they sell it as a separate cabin (unlikely), you will lose it.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Looks like passenger feedback has led UA to bring back liquor in PP

https://liveandletsfly.com/alcohol-m...emium-economy/
MatthewLAX, perkele and VRFast like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Looks like passenger feedback has led UA to bring back liquor in PP

https://liveandletsfly.com/alcohol-m...emium-economy/
Good news indeed!
iapetus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.