Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
That should not be happening.

If the cabin is sold as economy, then go back to the economy lavs. Even if sold as PP, the lav is quite a bit forward in the cabin..
If FAs w/ service carts are between PP and economy lavs, I have absolutely no problem with affected pax (economy or PP) using forward lavs. I’m also not going to get out of my Polaris cocoon to make sure there’s a cart blocking their paths.

Exclusive use of forward labs is not promised and should not be expected. That being said, the vast majority of passengers use the lavs in their cabins, as REQUESTED (not REQUiRED). Anyone with strong feelings about exclusively of lavs to cabins better not be hypocritically seen using the 2L lav of a 752 if “their” lav is being used by a reader’s digest reader. I often make use, even though riding up front, of that lav and of the lavs in back of row 4 of the grounded 777s, even though they’re not “mine”.
SPN Lifer and VWang1111 like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 15, 2022 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Flew EZE-IAH Sunday; Premier Plus seats on the plane - how access?e

Because of covid, even as a Premier Silver, I've only been on a total of 6 UAL flights from 2020-present.

Typically, Mr caseminole and I always fly Polaris from EZE and have enjoyed the experience.

This trip, traveled with an in-cabin pet, and as such settled for E+

I wont dive into any differences between E+ and Polaris (obvious), but i have NEVER SEEN a plane with "Premier Plus" seats - maybe i even missed the memo along the way, but I didnt even know they existed.

When i try to book a flight , I dont see this class of service even offered - no award levels, no price points.

What the heck is this class of service - is it worth whatever cost might exist to fly in it.

I'm trying to research and i found a couple of reviews - but how does UAL even sell the seats online?

Are they ONLY only to Premier members (if so, i wasnt aware of it, maybe its only for 1K? Gold and higher?)

Just curious on thoughts.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
There's still a limited number of planes with the premium plus seats, so unless there's a high probability that one is going to be used for a route, United won't sell that level of service. When it is sold, service is somewhere between economy and business, but where a plane with the seats is used on a flight where it wasn't sold, the seats should be available to anyone who has access to Economy Plus (so presumably should be available to a silver within 24 hours of the flight) and the in-flight service will be the same as in economy.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by caseminole
Because of covid, even as a Premier Silver, I've only been on a total of 6 UAL flights from 2020-present.

Typically, Mr caseminole and I always fly Polaris from EZE and have enjoyed the experience.

This trip, traveled with an in-cabin pet, and as such settled for E+

I wont dive into any differences between E+ and Polaris (obvious), but i have NEVER SEEN a plane with "Premier Plus" seats - maybe i even missed the memo along the way, but I didnt even know they existed.

When i try to book a flight , I dont see this class of service even offered - no award levels, no price points.

What the heck is this class of service - is it worth whatever cost might exist to fly in it.

I'm trying to research and i found a couple of reviews - but how does UAL even sell the seats online?

Are they ONLY only to Premier members (if so, i wasnt aware of it, maybe its only for 1K? Gold and higher?)

Just curious on thoughts.

United is selling Premium Plus (premium economy) seats on this flight. These seats are indicated by purple color. You can certainly purchase these seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2022 at 2:54 pm Reason: cleanup post move; thanks for the link
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
Flew EZE-IAH Sunday; Premier Plus seats on the plane - how access?.

UA818 for Sunday is offering PremPlus as a separate paid cabin on 789 aircraft.

SO this route requires a specific fare O, A, R or RN, ON for awards. And the seats show on the seat map as purple seats

If the flight is not selling PremPlus, then elites can have access as the cabin become E+ (blue seat)

Note PremPlus can have no in-cabin pets due to the footrests
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA818 for Sunday is offering PremPlus as a separate paid cabin on 789 aircraft.

SO this route requires a specific fare O, A, R or RN, ON for awards. And the seats show on the seat map as purple seats

If the flight is not selling PremPlus, then elites can have access as the cabin become E+ (blue seat)

Note PremPlus can have no in-cabin pets due to the footrests
Oops. I see it now.

When i saw the fares offered , i was equating Premium Economy to E+
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:05 pm

Piggybacking on this thread to ask if there is any meaningful difference between United PE on a 787 vs 767. I can choose between two connections of similar distance and price that have either of those birds. Only difference I know is 2-3-2 vs. 2-2-2.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by whitesock
Piggybacking on this thread to ask if there is any meaningful difference between United PE on a 787 vs 767. I can choose between two connections of similar distance and price that have either of those birds. Only difference I know is 2-3-2 vs. 2-2-2.
The biggest difference is B787 vs. B767. Take B787 any time. PE seats are the same.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by whitesock
I'll counter that PE in the 767 is better since there's no middle middle seat so a smaller cabin for ease and speed of service vs. J or Y.

David
FLYMSY and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
I'll counter that PE in the 767 is better since there's no middle middle seat so a smaller cabin for ease and speed of service vs. J or Y.

David
Also, if you are upgrading and you don’t get the upgrade, sitting in Economy on 767 will be more comfortable given the 2-3-2 seating instead of the 3-3-3 on a 788/789.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Also, if you are upgrading and you don’t get the upgrade, sitting in Economy on 767 will be more comfortable given the 2-3-2 seating instead of the 3-3-3 on a 788/789.
Agrred Agreed.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jan 19, 2022 at 2:01 pm Reason: tyopo
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:03 am

Thanks for the advice. Turns out I will be on both (on either direction of the trip) so I'll report back with any preferences between either. Bought PP straight out so not worried about upgrading.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
How does UA PE line up against AA and DL PE? Largely the same seat and the usual mixed UA service (which used to lag DL but seems to have caught up given some of the DL challenges)?

Just started at a new company and I'm entitled to PE on international flights over 6 hours. I would default to DL (where I'm PM and have been for a few years) but our preferred carrier is UA. Domestic flights the DL pricing is close enough I can fly DL in-policy but for international the difference is big enough that UA (and AA) PE is in-policy but DL is not.

I assume at a minimum that it's worth making the switch (or doing a challenge to start at UA PP) for PE vs. stick with DL C+?

Background I was a long-time 1K who defected during the Smisek era and am now based at RDU so it's been easy in the last few years to make DL work but my prior company didn't have this PE allowance so it was easy to just pick DL over other carriers when it came to Y

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 21, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
How does UA PE line up against AA and DL PE? Largely the same seat and the usual mixed UA service (which used to lag DL but seems to have caught up given some of the DL challenges).

Just started at a new company and I'm entitled to PE on international flights over 6 hours. I would default to DL (where I'm PM and have been for a few years) but our preferred carrier is UA. Domestic flights the DL pricing is close enough I can fly DL in-policy but for international the difference is big enough that UA (and AA) PE is in-policy but DL is not.

I assume at a minimum that it's worth making the switch (or doing a challenge to start at UA PP) for PE vs. stick with DL C+?

Background I was a long-time 1K who defected during the Smisek era and am now based at RDU so it's been easy in the last few years to make DL work but my prior company didn't have this PE allowance so it was easy to just pick DL over other carriers when it came to Y
I don't like the strange bulkhead-only leg rest configuration for AA. All the seats should have been given leg rests.

Otherwise I believe the UA PE seat is the same, or at least it is very similar, and I find it satisfactory.

The best part about PE is upgrading to J. Clearance rate is pretty good.
Duke787 and darkrider like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
How does UA PE line up against AA and DL PE? Largely the same seat and the usual mixed UA service (which used to lag DL but seems to have caught up given some of the DL challenges)?

With DL, you get STANDARD ECONOMY service in their PE cabin (Premium Select). No upgraded meals or amenities. It's economy with a nicer seat, basically a more expensive version of C+. All enhancements were removed back in 2020
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.