Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
How does UA PE line up against AA and DL PE? Largely the same seat and the usual mixed UA service (which used to lag DL but seems to have caught up given some of the DL challenges)?

Just started at a new company and I'm entitled to PE on international flights over 6 hours. I would default to DL (where I'm PM and have been for a few years) but our preferred carrier is UA. Domestic flights the DL pricing is close enough I can fly DL in-policy but for international the difference is big enough that UA (and AA) PE is in-policy but DL is not.

I assume at a minimum that it's worth making the switch (or doing a challenge to start at UA PP) for PE vs. stick with DL C+?

Background I was a long-time 1K who defected during the Smisek era and am now based at RDU so it's been easy in the last few years to make DL work but my prior company didn't have this PE allowance so it was easy to just pick DL over other carriers when it came to Y
Assuming you match to Platinum Pro on AA or Platinum on UA, then your lounge option flying AA will be slightly better as you’ll get access to Flagship Lounge.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by whitesock
Piggybacking on this thread to ask if there is any meaningful difference between United PE on a 787 vs 767. I can choose between two connections of similar distance and price that have either of those birds. Only difference I know is 2-3-2 vs. 2-2-2.
Adding my perspective here for future fliers. I was in row 20 (bulkhead) on the 787 and row 23 on the 767. Didn't care for the bulkhead as a tall person; I could never fully extend my legs and wished that I was further back so I could stretch underneath a seat. The row 20 bulkhead on the 767 is an exit row though so that probably would be better. It's not clear to me if row 23 has the same amount of recline as the rows further ahead, since there is a wall separating it from the economy section. I think it's the same, but it might be slightly less. The row 23 window seats would allow for the most privacy in the section though.

Didn't seem to be any differences between the 767 and 787 hard or soft product. I was in one of the side sections with 2 seats both times so I avoided the 3-seat middle that's on the 787.
knit-in likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by whitesock
Adding my perspective here for future fliers. I was in row 20 (bulkhead) on the 787 and row 23 on the 767. Didn't care for the bulkhead as a tall person; I could never fully extend my legs and wished that I was further back so I could stretch underneath a seat. The row 20 bulkhead on the 767 is an exit row though so that probably would be better. It's not clear to me if row 23 has the same amount of recline as the rows further ahead, since there is a wall separating it from the economy section. I think it's the same, but it might be slightly less. The row 23 window seats would allow for the most privacy in the section though.

Didn't seem to be any differences between the 767 and 787 hard or soft product. I was in one of the side sections with 2 seats both times so I avoided the 3-seat middle that's on the 787.
Fully agree, also as a tall person, unless you are traveling solo and want the ease of access for you and your random seatmate. Then I would go bulkhead.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Flight attendant on my very empty SFO-SIN today has been suggesting to us in PP that we go back to economy to grab a row to sleep, and come back to PP to work/eat/watch movies.

Thoughts on sleeping in PP vs a row of 3 economy seats? I guess I can try both.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Anything lying flat beats any angled seats doesn't matter how far angled they are. So I'd take that three row economy seats, in fact I did that a lot by choosing empty transatlantic flights even if it involved a connection and longer overall flight time (often these also were cheaper) when I was younger. These days I'll try do PP westbound and J eastbound, if needed on my own dime.

So long
-Ralf
Jkrun03 and boat stuck like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by fl1ger
Moin!

Anything lying flat beats any angled seats doesn't matter how far angled they are. So I'd take that three row economy seats, in fact I did that a lot by choosing empty transatlantic flights even if it involved a connection and longer overall flight time (often these also were cheaper) when I was younger. These days I'll try do PP westbound and J eastbound, if needed on my own dime.

So long
-Ralf
Just woke up after a solid 6 hours of lying down across 3 economy seats, great night's sleep considering it's on a plane. Good suggestion from the flight attendant!

Interestingly, I think I was the only one in PP to take the suggestion, everyone else slept mostly vertical in PP.
cuthroat and Jkrun03 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm impressed, given how comically short that would be. Part of me would end up in the aisle after 10 minutes, guaranteed
Jkrun03 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just woke up after a solid 6 hours of lying down across 3 economy seats, great night's sleep considering it's on a plane. Good suggestion from the flight attendant!

Interestingly, I think I was the only one in PP to take the suggestion, everyone else slept mostly vertical in PP.
This is what I would have done. I have even done a few times this year on domestic flights (transcon).

I have stopped submitting PPs for PE seat upgrade; it's J seat or bust. Same principle on domestic F, free upgrade? Fine, but it's not worth the extra $.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Flight attendant on my very empty SFO-SIN today has been suggesting to us in PP that we go back to economy to grab a row to sleep, and come back to PP to work/eat/watch movies.

Makes sense. I’d even go for an E+ seat with an empty middle over a PE seat with seatmate.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by econ
Makes sense. I’d even go for an E+ seat with an empty middle over a PE seat with seatmate.
Depends on who the seatmate is...

David
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by econ
I wouldn't go that far. The PP seat is much better than an E+ seat for work, eating, relaxing, etc., even with a neighbor. Using a laptop in a PP seat is much more pleasant than using one in E+ due to the bigger/higher up tray table and more convenient power outlet location.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA

PP being priced higher than F and J is a known issue here on FT but UA hasn't done much to fix it. While no one is sure why it is, on your specific route it could be that there are 28J and 21PP seats on the 788, something in UAs algorithm is saying that when 21PP seats are unsold don't release any discount fares now but with 28J unsold you can release a few discount J seats.
Corporate travel policy restricting employees to premium economy, why lose the revenue when the employees are being forced into that cabin.

We have a 9+hour policy to get into J with my company, the bean counters and I had a nice discussion on this subject after an employee pointed out to me that business class was less. Now they just need to get the okay from the dept head to book J.

Anyways, we are heading to Tahiti on Sunday, out in Polaris, back in PE as Polaris was sold out. These are my first flights on UA in a long time, pre covid I was loyal to DL, for the last 2 years its been AA (No diet coke, no fly for me), it will be interesting for sure.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The old days of 2-5-2 777s provided a great sleep in the center sections. The 3-3-3 on 777s was just about ok. But the current 777s and 787s are not good at all for sleep (or anything else).
coolbeans202 and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The thread topic is PremiumPlus / Premium Economy -- let's try to stick to that
One of the "hobo first " threads is best for continuing recent discussions

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:41 pm

Is the Premium Plus 'package' basically still what is in the wiki, i.e.bedding, food, alcohol, etc? (I realize that there are some food differences from reading a couple of other threads.) Trying to decide E+ vs. PE vs. Polaris for WAS<->LHR. PE looks OK for a relatively short flight! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.