Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Trying to gauge whether I should bust out more miles for Polaris seats for my family on a trip to Europe vs Prem Econ. Can you get a decent 40 winks in the PP seats on an 8 hour leg or does the lie flat really stand out above and beyond? We are mostly short haul domestic family, but the last longer haul we had was HNL to DEN in Y and I remember being dead to the world when we got into DEN because I didn't sleep at all.
If you flew 777HD on your HNL to DEN trip, then that might explain it.

As far as PP vs. Polaris seats, depends. How well do normally sleep sitting relatively upright? Personally I don't sleep well in a horizontal position anyway, especially with the narrow Polaris seats.

Polaris lie flat is obviously better, but what's the incremental cost you are looking at? What period are you flying? What's your status currently, as in the likelihood of upgrades in the first place? It's not an one-size-fits-all response.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Relatedly, does anyone know if you can waitlist award tickets to Prem Plus (from economy) or from Prem Plus to Polaris?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:09 am

Trying to gauge whether I should bust out more miles for Polaris seats for my family on a trip to Europe vs Prem Econ. Can you get a decent 40 winks in the PP seats on an 8 hour leg or does the lie flat really stand out above and beyond? We are mostly short haul domestic family, but the last longer haul we had was HNL to DEN in Y and I remember being dead to the world when we got into DEN because I didn't sleep at all.
I can’t sleep well in upright seats so I much prefer the lie flat seats. If you’re looking at all for better food/alcohol that is minimal difference but think about how y’all best sleep and decide from there.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
Relatedly, does anyone know if you can waitlist award tickets to Prem Plus (from economy) or from Prem Plus to Polaris?
I booked a flight yesterday and for upgrades from Y, there are 3 choices. One, 35K miles from Y to PE. Two, 35K miles plus $600 from Y to Polaris. Three, 35K miles plus $600 to either PE or Polaris. I assume on three that if you get PE, it's just the miles that get deducted and if you go to Polaris is miles and money.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
On the 787-9, is the bulkhead in PE still a good bet for extra legroom, or is that just on the 777? All three rows of the middle three seats are wide open right now and I'm debating 20-F or 22-F.
jmastron likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Advantages over E+ include
a wider seat, but not as wide as most domestic F
A premium meal service
2 bags
a footrest
a wider screen TV
Premier access
Greater legroom and recline

If it were my parents I would do it for that price. Buying 3 E+ seats is not as appealing to me. YMMV
Thank you to all for advice. Both at booked next Friday 1/13 in premium economy window and aisle first row right hand side. I will report back on there experience. My grandmother has flown on a plane twice in her life to and from New York from Michigan so this will be an experience for her to say the least.
SPN Lifer, trooper, ARR72 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:28 pm

It's very individual. I spent $699 to upgrade a 7 hr TATL from PP to Polaris. It was nice, but I would probably not do it again for a relatively short flight. We flew PP on the return and thought the seats were comfortable and were able to sleep for a few hours.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm a pretty big guy, very broad shoulders and too big a belly. Regular Y is not comfortable for me under most circumstances.

Not long after the introduction of PP, I booked a RT to Asia in PP, applying upgrades in both directions. My flight home cleared, but my outbound never did. I spent 15+ hours in PP from EWR-PVG. I found the whole experience very positive. While I don't sleep well unless I'm completely flat, the PP seat, while it had less padding seemed 'deeper' to me than your typical domestic F seat. It was wide enough where I wasn't intruding into my neighbor's space, I was able to wedge myself comfortably enough using the leg rest and as much recline as possible to get a few hours of shut-eye. (An Ambien may have also contributed). Honestly, if I could have a PP seat the rest of my life on all flights, I think I'd be pretty happy. Then again, I might be easy to please, as I'm the guy with over 700 lifetime segments on the CRJ-200.

And while some time has passed, I was especially surprised by the Thai noodle bowl being served to me in PP, which is my favorite J meal of all time on any carrier. Seems as if ALL food on UA has taken a downturn since. (I have not flown internationally nor been in P+ since that trip).
SPN Lifer, trooper, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:59 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I've tried rationalizing booking Premium Plus by thinking: "In the 1960s folks traveled around the world in Pan Am First Class – in recliners on 707s." Then, I thought again and further rationalized that Business Class isn't *that* much more expensive. 😁

(I have yet to travel in Premium Plus or any carrier's Premium Economy.)
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I rationalize it as a fail-safe (but not guaranteed) route to Business Class with Plus Points and a downside of being in a Premium seat. 2 for 2 on upgrades so far (1 TATL and 1 TCTL).
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:23 pm
hch

Yep. I find PP perfectly fine for day flights, unlike Economy where I really suffer with the width of my shoulders and length of my legs after the first hour or so. For night flight it means I can't really sleep but at best nap a bit. An Ex-Europe the differences between PP and Business fares can be huge. E.h. for a trip I'm planning right now I'm looking at 1200ish EURs for 3500ish EUR.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:36 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I'm a pretty big guy, very broad shoulders and too big a belly. Regular Y is not comfortable for me under most circumstances.

Not long after the introduction of PP, I booked a RT to Asia in PP, applying upgrades in both directions. My flight home cleared, but my outbound never did. I spent 15+ hours in PP from EWR-PVG. I found the whole experience very positive. While I don't sleep well unless I'm completely flat, the PP seat, while it had less padding seemed 'deeper' to me than your typical domestic F seat. It was wide enough where I wasn't intruding into my neighbor's space, I was able to wedge myself comfortably enough using the leg rest and as much recline as possible to get a few hours of shut-eye. (An Ambien may have also contributed). Honestly, if I could have a PP seat the rest of my life on all flights, I think I'd be pretty happy. Then again, I might be easy to please, as I'm the guy with over 700 lifetime segments on the CRJ-200.

And while some time has passed, I was especially surprised by the Thai noodle bowl being served to me in PP, which is my favorite J meal of all time on any carrier. Seems as if ALL food on UA has taken a downturn since. (I have not flown internationally nor been in P+ since that trip).
So...I just booked my first family trip in PP. All four of us booked and all four of us waitlisted for Polaris. This trip is in late November (but not during Thanksgiving). 21 PP seats on the aircraft. With our 4 seats bought today, there are now 6 left (confirmed by both 6 showing available on the seatmap, and revenue buckets show O6A6R6). The return flight has 11 unassigned (9s for all PP fare buckets), but still booked over 1/2 full--10+ months before the flight. Assuming the others are either high mileage redemptions or paid passengers.

I think PP is doing well for UA, while my experiences are surely anecdotal, it seems to go out full very often--I wish they'd expand the cabin--as reported up above, PP was at one point (and may still be) the highest revenue per square foot on their aircraft. Sponsored some friends from a cheap-ish Y fare on a TATL recently. They had NO SHOT at PP, and eventually cleared into Polaris. Their return flight home is a few days away, they cleared right into Polaris shortly after booking and still shows J9...P9. PP has had all seats assigned for a few weeks now. (They are still selling PP, but I think overbooking so they can op-up people into the several-remaining J seats).

Again, it's a great consolation prize to me if upgrades fail. Before PP, I'd NEVER chance waitlisting an international upgrade. But now I book PP with confidence and know I've at least got a decent seat if my upgrade doesn't clear. Here's hoping thinner 1K/GS numbers going forward and the eventual expiration of the glut of PlusPoints out there makes upgrades easier going forward. I mean, PP is great an all, but of course it doesn't compare to Polaris!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jan 12, 2023 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I flew ORD-HNL in PP today (died at #1 on the upgrade list ) and was very happy with it.

I worked most of the flight and was comfortable throughout. Food options were both breakfast (egg dish or French toast) and pre arrival meal (burger or soba salad). A few of the FAs were especially nice, not sure if they were looking out for me as a 1K or not, but I was very pleased with the flight.

I’d have no issues booking again on a daytime flight.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
The Premium Plus information site has been removed from the United Website and is not accessible.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
The Premium Plus information site has been removed from the United Website and is not accessible.
I noticed a few weeks ago they now have it under economy rather than premium on the website, which is not great for the future of the soft product I feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.