Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I had this issue when I took the bait for a $300 upgrade to PP on an upcoming HND-IAD flight. (not DOD - more than a month before the flight) Since the previous day, the same upgrade was pricing at around $1000.00, this seemed like a good deal.
After purchasing the upgrade, the website prompted me to select a seat, but upon seat selection I was again prompted to pay the $300. Since I had not gotten an email confirmation of the upgrade (I usually get such emails instantly) I thought maybe my original upgrade purchase had not gone through, so I paid again and immediately received the email confirmation. However, about 15 minutes later I received a second email confirming the purchase, and when I checked my credit card, I saw that I had indeed been double charged. Stupid error on my part, but a call to customer service had the issue resolved right away and the second charge was reversed.
Almost had this problem for our LAX-LHR flight this evening after paying for a PP upgrade for award tix. Selected the select seats button from the "Success" page and was again prompted to pay for upgrade once more.

I figured something was wrong so I went all the way back to the view all trips page and went forward into the itinerary from there. After choosing view/change seats, our seats were already shown as in PP but not where we wanted but could change without getting the upgrade prompt again.

Lame that UA's programmers got that wrong and you had to call UA to get un-charged. If the link doesn't work right to go and change your seats, they shouldn't put it on the success page in the first place.

David
SPN Lifer and rittenhousesq like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by RaflW
Last Oct. I was in 20B on a 787-10 and was not bothered by the lav. There's a curtain, and if I recall correctly, the lav door opens forward, not on the main aisle. I don't really remember much in terms of noise -- maybe one could hear the vacuum flush briefly, clearly it wasn't bothersome enough to stick as a memory. Most of the 10 or so PE people on our aisle used the Polaris lav, FAs never said a word about it, but people were discrete and never formed a line.
Leg room was good, and I'm 6'2" and like to cross my legs so was glad to be in that seat since there's no reclined seatback in the way.
shouldn't be an issue for O using the rear J lavs on the 787-10. The J pax to lav ratio would be 11 to 1 if they were only for J, which is out of whack compared to every other plane. The ratio is more like 14 or 15 to 1 (777-200 it is nearly 17 to 1). Thus, shared lavs make sense as that puts the pax to lav ration closer to the normal 15 to 1

It really only becomes an issue on the 767-400 where the J pax to lav ratio is already 17. That plane needed a front lav only for Polaris in the worst way during the retrofit
Old May 16, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Daytime EWR-LHR in Premium Plus

Dear all,

would love thoughts on the daytime flight to Europe in PP in the 777.

I’m spoiled in that I haven’t flown anything less than business internationally in over 30 years.

that said, a short daytime flight seems more doable.

my concern is about (drum roll) …. The lav.

do I understand that PP doesn’t have a designated lav, and that pax are to use the Econ lavs? Is that is correct, what are peoples’ experiences with lines at the lavs?

1st world problem. But I’d love wisdom from the sages!
Old May 16, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
That’s correct you are supposed to use the economy facilities.

On the 767 there is a J one right in front of you and in practice many use that especially if carts are out. I have never seen a crew member challenge it. On the 777 I believe you’d need to walk through a J cabin and the middle Y one isn’t so far back.

it’s not likely to be a big deal in my opinion and for a daytime flight Premium Economy is a decent option for the right price. Most carriers have the same rule for premium economy though from memory I think virgin Atlantic may have dedicated facilities.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
That’s correct you are supposed to use the economy facilities.

On the 767 there is a J one right in front of you and in practice many use that especially if carts are out. I have never seen a crew member challenge it. On the 777 I believe you’d need to walk through a J cabin and the middle Y one isn’t so far back.

it’s not likely to be a big deal in my opinion and for a daytime flight Premium Economy is a decent option for the right price. Most carriers have the same rule for premium economy though from memory I think virgin Atlantic may have dedicated facilities.
AA the lavs are shared O/J on the dreamliners and the 777-300

UA should ONLY be doing that on the 787-10, 767-400 (where the lavs are literally behind the emergency exits O is supposed to use and the lav lights are in the front of the O cabin) and the Hi J 767-300

Eva Air, NZ each have dedicated lavs for O
Old May 16, 2023, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
would love thoughts on the daytime flight to Europe in PP in the 777.

do I understand that PP doesn’t have a designated lav, and that pax are to use the Econ lavs? Is that is correct, what are peoples’ experiences with lines at the lavs?
Yes, you use the economy lavs. I've flown this flight in PP twice since it switched to the 777. I don't remember there ever being a problem. There are 5 lavs for 226 seats, which is pretty good compared to many other aircraft.
Old May 16, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
AA the lavs are shared O/J on the dreamliners and the 777-300
Not sure O is really supposed to use the J lavs on the AA 77W. There's 4 lavs located between O/J (2 across from one another on each aisle for those not familiar), and the curtain between the two cabins was set up (or at least used to be) such that J got the 2 outside ones, and O got the inside ones.
Old May 17, 2023, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think east coast to Europe flights are the sweet spot for premium economy, especially if you can get a daytime flight heading over and back. If the upcharge from economy is a few hundred dollars it’s a no brainer.

I just got off a SIN-NRT flight in premium Econ on NH and it was perfect for a trip of that length. I’d suggest biz on anything over 8-9 hours though. I had the misfortune of taking UA premium economy for 13+ hours to Asia last year and I’ll pay for biz in the future.
coolbeans202 and nomad420 like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I think east coast to Europe flights are the sweet spot for premium economy, especially if you can get a daytime flight heading over and back. If the upcharge from economy is a few hundred dollars it’s a no brainer.

I just got off a SIN-NRT flight in premium Econ on NH and it was perfect for a trip of that length. I’d suggest biz on anything over 8-9 hours though. I had the misfortune of taking UA premium economy for 13+ hours to Asia last year and I’ll pay for biz in the future.
I have recently been doing just this, I book PP, add Plus Points and hope for the best. We have booked this generally out of EWR and BOS with earlier flight into both areas for business. Now I would add, as of now nothing has cleared but trips are not until later this summer and fall. I have a direct return flight from MUC to SFO on one of the trips and I ended up just purchasing Polaris class for that return flight to the west coast.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:28 pm

I am trying to decide between UA or NH in Premium Economy for SFO-TYO:

NH: SFO-NRT 77W 3 rows 2-4-2, day flight
UA: SFO-HND 777 3 rows 2-4-2, day flight

I flew NH on the same route and same aircraft a couple of months ago and was happy with it. The seat was comfortable and the recline was good enough for a day flight. The food was excellent (really delicious and beautiful VLML and VGML meals). Service was of course great.

No experience on UA premium economy. I'm mostly interested in seat comfort (especially the amount of recline); I know UA's service and food will not be as good.

Any input? (I do prefer to arrive in HND but will forgo that if UA's PE seat comfort is not as good.) Price is the same for both options.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage

I flew NH on the same route and same aircraft a couple of months ago and was happy with it. The seat was comfortable and the recline was good enough for a day flight. The food was excellent (really delicious and beautiful VLML and VGML meals). Service was of course great.

No experience on UA premium economy. I'm mostly interested in seat comfort (especially the amount of recline); I know UA's service and food will not be as good.

Any input? (I do prefer to arrive in HND but will forgo that if UA's PE seat comfort is not as good.) Price is the same for both options.
IMO the ANA seat is nicer and you will have better food and service, as you already have observed. UA really does classify PE as economy in terms of service. If you want anything on UA you'll either need to hit the call button or walk back to the rear galley. ANA will also handle your special meal request better, putting a sticker on your seat with your special meal.

If you are not concerned about crediting toward lifetime miles, ANA is probably the better choice.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

I have only flown the Air Japan version of NH premium economy (in 2022) and found the UA seat comfort and overall experience much better. Not even close - IFE, Saks blanket, 3 full meals served on UA (AVML well done), even midflight was a full tray meal. Nice slippers. Plenty of water runs throughout.

On its own the UA Premium Economy overall product is quite reasonable. If legrest is a factor try for the front row.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by atword
IMO the ANA seat is nicer and you will have better food and service, as you already have observed. UA really does classify PE as economy in terms of service. If you want anything on UA you'll either need to hit the call button or walk back to the rear galley. ANA will also handle your special meal request better, putting a sticker on your seat with your special meal.

If you are not concerned about crediting toward lifetime miles, ANA is probably the better choice.
NH will give you an economy meal whereas you get a J meal on UA
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the input on NH vs. UA premium economy. I will most likely pick the one with better seat recline: UA's website states 6 inches, while NH says 114.5 degrees. Another website states that NH recline is 20cm (or 7.87 inches).

I'm trying to convert inches to degrees for a comparison, but so far I haven't been able to find an easy formula to do so. One place online says that 6 inches = 98.5 degrees. If that's true, 114.5 degrees should be around 7 inches (or 17.8 cm).

Another online answer:

if seat is 30 inches high and declines from 100 to 118 degrees,
= 30 x (cos(100 degrees) - cos(118 degrees))
= 30 x (-0.1736482 - -0.469472)
= 8.8747 inches

Not sure if the above formula is correct or how to apply it. It assumes a seat height of 30 inches, and why does the decline start at 100 degrees instead of 90 degrees?

Does anyone know if there's an easier way to compare seat recline inches vs. degrees?

BTW, I was not aware that UA PE (int'l) gets a J meal.
Old May 21, 2023, 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the input on NH vs. UA premium economy. I will most likely pick the one with better seat recline: UA's website states 6 inches, while NH says 114.5 degrees. Another website states that NH recline is 20cm (or 7.87 inches).

I'm trying to convert inches to degrees for a comparison, but so far I haven't been able to find an easy formula to do so. One place online says that 6 inches = 98.5 degrees. If that's true, 114.5 degrees should be around 7 inches (or 17.8 cm).

Another online answer:

if seat is 30 inches high and declines from 100 to 118 degrees,
= 30 x (cos(100 degrees) - cos(118 degrees))
= 30 x (-0.1736482 - -0.469472)
= 8.8747 inches

Not sure if the above formula is correct or how to apply it. It assumes a seat height of 30 inches, and why does the decline start at 100 degrees instead of 90 degrees?

Does anyone know if there's an easier way to compare seat recline inches vs. degrees?

BTW, I was not aware that UA PE (int'l) gets a J meal.
domestic O also gets a J meal on UA
sfvoyage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.