Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
To me, $349 is worth it if you're not getting E+ free already. Don't know what the pricing is on E+ for that flight, but guessing it's ~$200 for an aisle or window, so you're already half way there on cost. If you can afford it, be the good grandchild.
EmailKid and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Your money is better spent buying them an extra seat in an E+ row (2 seats with the middle open). PP is definitely not as good as typical domestic First.
Strongly disagree here. On the fact that the grandparents will be well-fed with 2 meals in PP, especially considering they’ll be up at the crack of dawn to feed through ORD. It’s a long flight and rather than selling fresh/hot BoB items in Y, these Hawai‘i flights get served a complimentary small bowl of fruit a yogurt and a kind bar, and that’s it AFAIK.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I also rather strenuously disagree, simply because Economy seats are not very comfortable, even if you have an empty middle.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
These discussions are always personal and highly variable.

I would happily pay $349 to move from Economy to what is effectively a domestic F seat for a 9-hour flight and consider it a good deal.
This. Especially if it's a daytime flight on the way back. Double especially if I'm travelling with a companion that I wish to speak with (making it almost preferable to J in that scenario).
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
UAL761
MUC-DEN
B787-9
12/12/2022

20L

I originally booked Y, though decided to upgrade to PEY as I didn't want to be crammed into a row of three for a ten hour TATL service. Back when I booked the ticket in September, UA.bomb was initially asking $1,350 for Polaris or $1,320 for Premium Plus. Prices for both eventually came down and the latter changed to somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 iirc.

Overall, it's clearly better than Y, though being 6'1", I didn't find the footrest to be very comfortable and the seat cushion felt fairly hard to me. I did appreciate having a Polaris pillow (the white one) and the tan Polaris blanket, as well as the amenity kit (I haven't opened it yet). The legroom in the bulkhead is excellent and leaves plenty of space to enter/exit without having to jump over the passenger in the aisle. I did use the bulkhead wall for some extra grip when it was dark, but it's quite easy to do (and much easier than the sUA IPTE C seats). The seat also had a pair of what I believed to be noise canceling headphones (I used my Bose, so I didn't open the UA pair).

The meal choices were chicken or a vegetarian tortellini and were offered after a packaged almond or bread stick snack. The bread roll was room temperature, though the chicken was hot and tasted quite good. I thought the portion size was also decent and was nice to see they offered a wine glass on the tray, though disappointed the beverage service was only plastic cups. The beer choices are dumb (Michelob Ultra or Stella Artois) and were the same as I had on IAD-GVA last Thursday in Polaris. Dessert was the packaged chocolates and came on the meal tray. A bottle of water was offered after the meals were cleared.

Breakfast was offered approximately ninety minutes before arrival and was the packaged (and warmed) turkey sandwich and fruit. Not terrible, but certainly nothing memorable.

Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
How hard is it to heat the bread? What are the FAs thinking?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
UAL761
MUC-DEN
B787-9
12/12/2022

20L

I originally booked Y, though decided to upgrade to PEY as I didn't want to be crammed into a row of three for a ten hour TATL service. Back when I booked the ticket in September, UA.bomb was initially asking $1,350 for Polaris or $1,320 for Premium Plus. Prices for both eventually came down and the latter changed to somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 iirc.

Overall, it's clearly better than Y, though being 6'1", I didn't find the footrest to be very comfortable and the seat cushion felt fairly hard to me. I did appreciate having a Polaris pillow (the white one) and the tan Polaris blanket, as well as the amenity kit (I haven't opened it yet). The legroom in the bulkhead is excellent and leaves plenty of space to enter/exit without having to jump over the passenger in the aisle. I did use the bulkhead wall for some extra grip when it was dark, but it's quite easy to do (and much easier than the sUA IPTE C seats). The seat also had a pair of what I believed to be noise canceling headphones (I used my Bose, so I didn't open the UA pair).

The meal choices were chicken or a vegetarian tortellini and were offered after a packaged almond or bread stick snack. The bread roll was room temperature, though the chicken was hot and tasted quite good. I thought the portion size was also decent and was nice to see they offered a wine glass on the tray, though disappointed the beverage service was only plastic cups. The beer choices are dumb (Michelob Ultra or Stella Artois) and were the same as I had on IAD-GVA last Thursday in Polaris. Dessert was the packaged chocolates and came on the meal tray. A bottle of water was offered after the meals were cleared.

Breakfast was offered approximately ninety minutes before arrival and was the packaged (and warmed) turkey sandwich and fruit. Not terrible, but certainly nothing memorable.

Thanks for the thorough review. I'm 6'2" and I prefer non-bulkhead since I can stretch my legs further than bulkhead. I also don't like that you lose some seat width with the popup video screen. Plus the video screen in non-bulkhead is bigger. YMMV.
evol likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:02 am

Haven't flown in a while. What to expect on a domestic flight in PE on IAD-SAN? It is almost a 6 hours flight, so I hope they provide food and drinks. Is there an entertainment system like My United to use our own devices for movies? Anything else you suggest to bring besides headphones? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kvota
Haven't flown in a while. What to expect on a domestic flight in PE on IAD-SAN? It is almost a 6 hours flight, so I hope they provide food and drinks. Is there an entertainment system like My United to use our own devices for movies? Anything else you suggest to bring besides headphones? Thanks!
There's no PE IAD-SAN, so no food, soft drinks only. Built-in entertainment depends on aircraft. You can use IFE on your device.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fumje
There's no PE IAD-SAN, so no food, soft drinks only. Built-in entertainment depends on aircraft. You can use IFE on your device.
Thank you, that sucks. Called United and they shifted their lines overseas, so have no clue. Someone said "lunch will be provided", while snacks are for purchase. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, that sucks. Called United and they shifted their lines overseas, so have no clue. Someone said "lunch will be provided", while snacks are for purchase. I guess we'll wait and see.
There will be snacks / bistro items for purchase. Options are shown in back of hemispheres, starting p163 in December issue.
https://hemispheres.ink-live.com/htm...8-68b89466153c

edit add:
pictures

Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:26 pm

Thank you.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What cabin -- just First or Economy -- as mentioned no aircraft from SAN with PremPlus / Premium Economy

First will have a warm meal, economy will have snack for purchase (posted above)
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:41 pm

Economy Plus
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Trying to gauge whether I should bust out more miles for Polaris seats for my family on a trip to Europe vs Prem Econ. Can you get a decent 40 winks in the PP seats on an 8 hour leg or does the lie flat really stand out above and beyond? We are mostly short haul domestic family, but the last longer haul we had was HNL to DEN in Y and I remember being dead to the world when we got into DEN because I didn't sleep at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.