Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 2:09 pm

I sat in 21G (aisle, 2nd row of PP cabin, in center section) on a 777-200 v5 due to last minute equipment change last week. I've searched the internet but couldn't figure out:

1. Armrest retraction : how do I?
2. Footrest (not legrest) - does it only swing down a few inches from the folded up position? Or am I missing some secret button? It seems awfully high up in that case.

Thank you!
Old May 22, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
The footrests have a high and a low position. You need to push them all the way up to the top and then they (sometimes) will bypass the first (high) position and go to the lower (actual useful) position.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Watch your booking like a hawk....
It did not help me when I got 3 plane configuration swaps in the last 2 days. I had a good seat in the booked configuration. Then, a good seat in the Polarized version. Then, an extremely good seat in the booked configuration: I had managed to get a seat in the former First Class area. Then, five hours before the flight, the swap to the pmCO 772 configuration ended my streak of good luck.

Thinking that I have to repeat this in one month annoys me. I just chose the wrong time to start flying United.......Or, maybe I'll be lucky and my bulkhead seat in Economy+ on the pmUA 772 for the inbound will get me a Premium Plus seat on the Polarized version.

Last edited by StuckinITH; May 22, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I do like Premium Plus but wish the leg rest in the bulkhead row went higher.

The bathroom is a huge issue and many of us just went to Polaris. I tried going back but between the tiny aisles with folks having the feet and arms and pillows out (do not sit in E if you can avoid it - 10 across is a killer and I think I would choose the back row of two seats where possible as more room) it was much easier to go forward and more toilets available. Think United should rethink the directive on Premium Plus not allowed to use Polaris bathrooms.

Wish they have the cool gel pillow in Premijm Plus.

Also, wish the armrest next to the window went down - would provide a couple of extra inches.

Would recommend and fly again, but there are some issues.

I was in 20A - great seat!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just flew EWR-FRA on a 787-10 in PP for the first time. Nice product although is was pretty cold sitting in 20C. Walking back a few rows I noticed that it significantly warmed up.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Just flew EWR-FRA on a 787-10 in PP for the first time. Nice product although is was pretty cold sitting in 20C. Walking back a few rows I noticed that it significantly warmed up.
Oh yes, in 20A on SFO-FRA I wrapped the blanket round my feet. The cold was from the vents at floor level.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA seems to be outrageously stingy with RN space.. I wonder if they are training the algorithm still? SFO-FRA this Sunday is J7 IN2 I0, but O9 R8 RN0.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
UA seems to be outrageously stingy with RN space.. I wonder if they are training the algorithm still? SFO-FRA this Sunday is J7 IN2 I0, but O9 R8 RN0.
They don't seem to be having much trouble selling P+, so suppose this is not surprising. They're also getting tight with R on many routes.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They don't seem to be having much trouble selling P+, so suppose this is not surprising. They're also getting tight with R on many routes.
It seems that R fares are the sweet spots not more than $100 per way than a W fare on the routes I buy. But once that R bucket is gone, the A bucket is outrageously more expensive more than $500-$700 per way more.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh yes, in 20A on SFO-FRA I wrapped the blanket round my feet. The cold was from the vents at floor level.
I found some heat by wrapping the blanket around my legs and IFE arm.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is my ranking of PP vs. E+ seats, in the order of my most desired to least desired:

1) PP bulkhead window
2) PP bulkhead aisle
3) PP non-bulkhead window
4) PP non-bulkhead aisle
5) PP bulkhead middle
6) PP non-bulkhead middle
7) E+ non-bulkhead window
8) E+ non-bulkhead aisle
9) E+ bulkhead window
10) E+ bulkhead aisle
11) E+ bulkhead middle
12) E+ non-bulkhead middle

Yes, I have rated PP ahead of E+ in every single seat scenario, including middle over window/aisle. Comparative speaking, I have had better experience in PP bulkhead seating vs. PP non-bulkhead seating than E+ bulkhead seating vs. non-bulkhead seating, thus the higher ranking of PP bulkhead over PP non-bulkhead and E+ non-bulkhead over E+ buckhead.

Based on PP seat time of 787-10 (2-3-2), 772 (2-4-2),, and 77W (2-4-2).
Having flown the same, I rate them differently. I put E+ aisle ahead of PP middle. And PP middle above E+ window.

And no way in hell would I burn a GPU unless I could clear at booking because I've never failed to get an E+ aisle.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:16 pm

Pe ua 179 ewr-hkg

Never flown on PE on this route. Is there any difference in the leg rest and foot rest between the bulkhead row and the other rows in PE? Specifically is the leg rest and leg rest as a single piece where the foot rest is extendible from the leg rest? I find that specific design helps me to get to sleep better as it provides more support overall.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadianidol
Never flown on PE on this route. Is there any difference in the leg rest and foot rest between the bulkhead row and the other rows in PE? Specifically is the leg rest and leg rest as a single piece where the foot rest is extendible from the leg rest? ....
Bulkhead row is the combined version. The non-bulkhead the foot rest is built in the seat in front. Numerous pictures in this thread.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:41 pm

Somewhat reminds of the Continental 747 business class in the 1980s. I wish I had a photo.
trust77 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
it was much easier to go forward and more toilets available. Think United should rethink the directive on Premium Plus not allowed to use Polaris bathrooms
The only directive issued on my flight was to "use the bathroom in your cabin".
There is no bathroom in the Premium Plus cabin, so most used Polaris.

Took my first flight in the Premium Plus seat (21E middle on a 777). A few thoughts from a 6ft 2, 200lb, reasonably broad shouldered person:
  • I easily prefer a PP middle over any kind of E+ seat. Unless you really need to spill your body parts over into an aisle, the PP width and double wide arm rests were sufficient for me to not be rubbing shoulders with my neighbor. Obviously leg room is also adequate in PP.
  • Leg/bag space is slightly annoying with the way the seats are aligned. Didnt happen to me, but you may end up in a fight.with your neighbor if storing baggage under seat.
  • Larger screen is really nice
  • Leg rest and foot rest are 98% useless someone my height. I used both briefly but there aren't something I can use for any length of time and be comfortable. They were only good for a very temporary bit of leg positioning relief.
  • Headphones are a huge pain in the ... to plug in. Many,.myself included, had to use cell phone flashlight to be able to see when plugging it in. That said, the position does have some merit, but I would prefer it be more accessible.
  • Seat recline is good.
  • Bendable headrest is good and helped me a lot to nod off occasionally. I dont normally get any sleep on planes (unless on a lie flat)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.