Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I'm finding PP on SFO-TPE in R is $250 more each way, which I think is reasonable. I would not pay for an A fare PP seat.
I've not read the CoC for O/A/R fares so don't know the differences between them other than higher pecking order when it comes to upgrades from PP->J.

Seeing as O/A/R all come with the 1.5x PQMs and a comfortable seat ... I'm really OK with whichever bucket my PP fare falls into.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFHokie
I've not read the CoC for O/A/R fares so don't know the differences between them other than higher pecking order when it comes to upgrades from PP->J.....
Short answer, paid PP tickets have priority over all paid economy tickets for business class waitlist

Longer answer -- see the wiki for How does GPU/ Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Short answer, paid PP tickets have priority over all paid economy tickets for business class waitlist

Longer answer -- see the wiki for How does GPU/ Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear; my intention was to state I don't know the difference between an O, A, or R fare ... I do know those PP fares are at the top of the upgrade queue for clearing into business class if space is available. (I also like how most PP fares translate to B fares with domestic connections on the same ticket.)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear; my intention was to state I don't know the difference between an O, A, or R fare ... I do know those PP fares are at the top of the upgrade queue for clearing into business class if space is available. (I also like how most PP fares translate to B fares with domestic connections on the same ticket.)
O is the highest, R is the lowest on UA for PP
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:51 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Definitely a time saver, but as you said, it is only three rows and it would help the presentation. It is a pain to deal with the foil as a passenger. And I would hope that the FA would not spit on the food.

We had a very nice crew SFO-LHR and then a very mixed crew on the way back LHR-SFO. One male FA in particular on return - geez just retire or find a new job if you are so disinterested in your career. Wonder what we'll get the HKG flights soon.
I just flew HKG-SFO on PP yesterday. Very indifferent attitudes, in fact I have had better service in Y. Basically just dump the meal off and be on their way. I asked for an IPA and it was like pulling teeth to get them to look for one. If they keep the prices in check I guess PP is good for the seat and slightly better food, but if they are trying to make it a differentiated service they aren't doing a good job.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Which fare buckets open up as people clear PP and get upgraded into J?

I'm eyeing two itineraries next month. One would involve UA #58 (SFO-FRA) on October 4th; it is a PP flight. The other involves UA #182 (DEN-FRA) on the same day; it does not have a PP section (it's a 788). I just missed out on the last A fare on UA #58 . And while I don't think I can afford to upfare to O, I could have swung the upfare to A. This leads me to wonder what fare buckets open up as people clear PP into J. I could purchase this itinerary, apply a GPU and upfare if any A fares become available when higher elites start clearing. Or I can just go the "conventional" route and try to get into J on UA #182 with a GPU. Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
The only guaranteed change is in O space, and even then only if PE is not overbooked. Entirely possible for A space to show up again, but no way to know for sure.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus

I'm eyeing two itineraries next month. One would involve UA #58 (SFO-FRA) on October 4th; it is a PP flight. The other involves UA #182 (DEN-FRA) on the same day; it does not have a PP section (it's a 788). I just missed out on the last A fare on UA #58 . And while I don't think I can afford to upfare to O, I could have swung the upfare to A. This leads me to wonder what fare buckets open up as people clear PP into J. I could purchase this itinerary, apply a GPU and upfare if any A fares become available when higher elites start clearing. Or I can just go the "conventional" route and try to get into J on UA #182 with a GPU. Thoughts?
I have seen R open with a (large) batch of upgrades clear. I have also seen nothing budge.

It seems a pretty chancy strategy to hope you can upfare to A after they clear people and rely on that to clear you into PZ. I think I'd just choose whichever has inventory closer to PZ open / less of J booked.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
The only guaranteed change is in O space, and even then only if PE is not overbooked. Entirely possible for A space to show up again, but no way to know for sure.
Originally Posted by fumje
I have seen R open with a (large) batch of upgrades clear. I have also seen nothing budge.

It seems a pretty chancy strategy to hope you can upfare to A after they clear people and rely on that to clear you into PZ. I think I'd just choose whichever has inventory closer to PZ open / less of J booked.
Thanks for the responses. ^ I agree that just looking at the loads is probably best here ... except that the possibility of a 150% PQM bonus is somewhat enticing. That said, I'm thinking that I'll probably just go DEN-FRA.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
So my parents and I flew PP SFO-HKG recently. I have to say the lead FA that handed out the menus and the pre-departure water was very friendly, but she worked the other aisle from us.

Good:
Seats are mostly comfortable (butt can still get sore) and the footrest does help (did not try the bulkhead seats).
New PP amenity kit are out and better than the (I think) useless Polaris tins that were originally used. The pouch can be reused.
Slippers provided were very nice quality and comfortable.
Foil on entree and plastic lid were taken off the food when served.
The FAs were friendly enough - they didn't really come through the cabin a lot, but you could call them and they would come.

Could Be Improved:
Food choices were not very good. The buffalo mac and cheese was just too much mac and cheese. The ravioli was better.
Underseat storage can be awkward due to where the seat anchors are placed.
Ran out of egg breakfast choice by the time they got to the second row on our aisle? We got the economy hot breakfast entree (in the black plastic container). The aisle next to us got the egg PP breakfast all the way to the 3rd row. Lame.
FAs need to be more proactive about coming through.
I think the seat controls and footrest operation is a bit finicky and recline is better but not great. Armrests already showing wear.
Mid-flight snack could be improved. They did pass around a snack basket with some pretzels and gummi bears.

Overall verdict: it is a decent use of 30K miles to upgrade if you have miles to burn. I'm not sure I'd want anything other than an aisle seat. However, if you can get yourself an empty E+ seat ext to you on a flight, I probably would save the miles and take two seats in E+. That's what we got on the back HKG-SFO. PP was only 1/2 full on that flight and Polaris still had seats available as well as E+ and E-. Many people had at least 1 empty seat and even 2-3 empty seats in economy to lay down.

RobOnLI and narvik like this.

Last edited by CApreppie; Sep 11, 2019 at 12:08 am Reason: Added photos of the menu and meals.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would rather sit in E+ aisle than spend 30k miles. Either way these days I am miserable though.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
If the day of the week ends with a “y” you are ok, other than that you take your chances
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I had thought if you booked Premium Economy that the domestic legs booked into the instant upgrade. I have been having problems with this but thought it was to do with a GPU being applied and just left it.

However, this time I do not have a GPU applied, booked straight into premium economy and the domestic leg now shows CPU eligible which will start 96 hours before the flight departs? BTW there is no one sitting in J according to the seat chart.

Have I misunderstood the booking process for the domestic legs when on an international premium economy ticket?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I had thought if you booked Premium Economy that the domestic legs booked into the instant upgrade. I have been having problems with this but thought it was to do with a GPU being applied and just left it.

However, this time I do not have a GPU applied, booked straight into premium economy and the domestic leg now shows CPU eligible which will start 96 hours before the flight departs? BTW there is no one sitting in J according to the seat chart.

Have I misunderstood the booking process for the domestic legs when on an international premium economy ticket?
Domestic leg of prem Econ ticket books into B (for the most part) and clears into PN (1K or GS) and PZ (for others). It should say CPU until you get instantly cleared before 96 hours.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

This is normal for 1K YBM fare when inventory is PN0.

When PN opens the message will change to say 'Premier Instant Upgrade Fare', and then you can move yourself to First.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.