Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
In that case, call me lucky cause I still got mine I’m still on the flight, Sept 14. So they definitely still haven’t made PP purchasable yet.
PP has been purchasable on this route for some time, but it goes 100% all aircraft on this route from now on. Your flight may have been the last EWR-LHR not marketed to have PP.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PP has been purchasable on this route for some time, but it goes 100% all aircraft on this route from now on. Your flight may have been the last EWR-LHR not marketed to have PP.
Was chatting with the head pursuer and it looks like PP starts Sept 16 for this flight
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone know if/when PE will be available on flights to SIN?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
Anyone know if/when PE will be available on flights to SIN?
the 789's will be among the last to be converted to the new polaris seats (and PP is done at that time) -- hopefully, all done during 2020 plus scheduled 789 deliveries in 2020 will come with Polaris & PP
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFHokie
I'm on the phone right now with 1K desk; they said "Due to weakness in HKG market and China, PP configured planes are being temporarily removed from some flights". Sounded like the guy was reading from a script.
The outbound Polaris and PP were full. On the return Polaris had empty seats and PP was probably 1/2 full.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by CApreppie
The outbound Polaris and PP were full. On the return Polaris had empty seats and PP was probably 1/2 full.
That might all depend on your perspective of what's outbound and what's inbound Oh, and which route you're referring to ...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:37 am

Perhaps something like this has been reported previously, but I thought I'd add a data point in case it's useful for the future: On Sunday, the 767 scheduled to operate UA 934 (the morning EWR-LHR flight) went inoperable shortly before boarding. United quickly found another 767 to operate the flight, but it was configured in the old configuration. so no Premium Plus cabin. Premium Plus passengers were given vouchers for $1,000 for the involuntary downgrade, and it seemed like there was a effort to ensure that they were re-accommodated in Economy Plus. They were also offering to let Premium Plus passengers switch to a later flight and take the voucher, but I didn't see anyone choose that option (presumably since the next London flight wouldn't have been until Sunday evening).

Meanwhile because the new plane had fewer business class seats than the inoperable one did, business class customers were offered vouchers of $5,000 and an immigration fast pass to voluntarily downgrade. By the time I boarded, they were still looking for one more volunteer, so I'm not sure if they had to involuntarily downgrade anyone.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFHokie
That might all depend on your perspective of what's outbound and what's inbound Oh, and which route you're referring to ...
Outbound: SFO-HKG was full leaving on a Friday
Return: HKG-SFO was not full leaving on a Monday
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
I had figured that there was some sort of locking mechanism for the purpose you describe, and I tried to reset it as you explained. It didnt help, and at first I thought it was because the seat in front of me was not upright. But when he went upright, I tried to reset it by pulling it all the way up and it still did not drop.

There really ought to be some sort of card showing the features of the chair and how to operate. It took me and the person next to me a while after boarding to find the USB and outlet under the arm rest!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
EWR-LHR

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You get standard E+ service if PP is not being marketed for that flight.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Which means no amenity kit.
Sometimes they put out the amenity kit (stocked from inbound / last cater?) even if it is not marketed as P+.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Flying EWR - LHR tomorrow at 7pm sitting in the bulkhead and will report back thoughts on the hard and soft product since the route officially "kicked off" PP on Monday.
roberttchi likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Flying EWR - LHR tomorrow at 7pm sitting in the bulkhead and will report back thoughts on the hard and soft product since the route officially "kicked off" PP on Monday.
Set your expectations low for the soft product! That is the most likely experience, but furthermore it means you will only be pleased.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Looking forward to the PP EWR-LHR reviews. Planning a flight in Dec..middle two, bulkhead. Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fumje
Set your expectations low for the soft product! That is the most likely experience, but furthermore it means you will only be pleased.
Originally Posted by roberttchi
Looking forward to the PP EWR-LHR reviews. Planning a flight in Dec..middle two, bulkhead. Thanks!
fumje Oh for sure! I have pretty low expectations on the service/food side and really just wanted to try out the seat. I've experienced LH's PE a number of times and it can also be hit or miss depending on the crew. As long as the FA is somewhat cordial I'll be ecstatic haha.

roberttchi I'm in a bulkhead window seat and understand that the screen is stowed and slightly smaller than the seat back ones but the location of the seat has more legroom due to the bulkhead in front (hopefully).
roberttchi likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Sorry, but I'm not going to read 53 pages of reviews to get an answer to my question. So if this has been discussed before maybe it can go in the Wiki. Is there a limit to the number of "free drinks" provided in PP? I flew it this week BRU-IAD. I asked for a drink and was given one airline bottle plus the entire can of the mixer. I asked for another airline bottle and was told no - they only provide one in PP and that I'm to pay for any additional. I gave a puzzled look and dropped it. I decided to press my luck and ask again and the FA relented. But he made quite a spectacle of asking the other FA working the other side of the beverage cart with him, "Hey, PP only gets one drink per flight, right?" The other FA naturally agreed. I cannot find anything that says it's limited to one drink. Hey, I'm not trying to get drunk or even have five drinks. But if I'm going to have the entire can of mixer then I appreciate the second bottle of liquor.

BTW, as far as I could tell, beer and wine were handed out with ease and no comments about paying for it. And, of course, a non-rev was given multiple liquor bottles with no comment about paying. Finally, would 1K status entitle a passenger to extra liquor bottles?

Otherwise, PP was fine. For me and the flights I take $150 seems like a no brainer to get additional comfort and more importantly 50% more PQM over non-Y/B economy fares.

The food was served still completely wrapped (both the lunch and the pre-arrival cold plate). The bread was still wrapped in plastic as well which I find disgusting and tacky.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.