Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
I think they are very deliberating trying to hook a new set of leisure travelers on PE with the fire-sale pricing, so they can gradually reel them in back to break-even and profitable fare levels.

Uncertain how well it works, although I think FT has a selection bias that makes sampling here useless - many regular Y flyers here saying "this product was okay for $99 more but no way would I ever pay real money for it".
This would be me. Like PP. But then I also liked it on TK and NZ. I am a fan of the true PE product. E+ on UA does not make the cut for me on long haul flights.
ermdjdsj likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Uncertain how well it works, although I think FT has a selection bias that makes sampling here useless - many regular Y flyers here saying "this product was okay for $99 more but no way would I ever pay real money for it".
Actually, I think PE is more attractive to a certain set of leisure travelers who have plenty of money but are inherently frugal and view business class as an irrational (and borderline immoral) luxury. They are however willing to spend up for a better "economy" product because they don't view it as an extravagance.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I just had the PP experience last week on EWR-LHR. Completely full cabin, but quick and efficient service from the FAs to maximize sleep time. I got a good few hours of solid sleep in the seat (22F so no risk of people climbing over me). The pillow and blanket were the best quality I've seen in PE. Slept through breakfast, but dinner was of decent quality (especially important since I don't bother going to the United Clubs in EWR because of the ridiculous crowding these days).

I have flown PE on NZ, UA, BA, and LH this year and honestly liked the UA experience above all.
jtwiz and new_places like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by croberts134
I have flown PE on NZ, UA, BA, and LH this year and honestly liked the UA experience above all.
How does the amount of seat recline compare among these four airlines? Which one has the most?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, I think PE is more attractive to a certain set of leisure travelers who have plenty of money but are inherently frugal and view business class as an irrational (and borderline immoral) luxury. They are however willing to spend up for a better "economy" product because they don't view it as an extravagance.
Oh I agree - the point I was trying to make was that I think FT has a disproportionate number of pax who (a) are too frugal/cheap/whatever to pay more than a nominal sum for PE, but (b) are savvy enough to get in and try it today (for free as E+, at the ridiculous sale prices, etc.) so I'm not sure I can judge the success/failure of the above strategy based only on the surprisingly many FT reports of "nice for $99 but spend an extra $499 on a plane? that's crazy!".
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
How does the amount of seat recline compare among these four airlines? Which one has the most?
While I can't say with any level of scientific certainty, my comfort level on recline alone would rank them NZ, UA, LH, BA.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I just paid about $380 more for PE itin on a UA/NH combo from IAD to BKK, both ways. That seemed decent to me, since I got PE on all four segments and all flights are pretty long . I find the ANA 787-9s to be just fine in regular economy, but I was not looking to make a 14 hour flight in 10-wide 777 on UA. I'll report back next month on if I think it was worth the dough or not.
ORDnHKG likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:33 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Flew NH PE IAD-NRT and UA P+ NRT-EWR. NH PE was very good. Though they gave just the economy meals and trays, made no difference to me as I didn't eat. UA on the other hand was nothing even close to what I paid extra. I would have been better off in an E+ exit row seat. Every time I got up and saw those seats vacant, I told myself never to pay for P+ again. First and last time for me. YMMV.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by planes&trains
Flew NH PE IAD-NRT and UA P+ NRT-EWR. NH PE was very good. Though they gave just the economy meals and trays, made no difference to me as I didn't eat. UA on the other hand was nothing even close to what I paid extra. I would have been better off in an E+ exit row seat. Every time I got up and saw those seats vacant, I told myself never to pay for P+ again. First and last time for me. YMMV.
Can you elaborate on why UA PE is not as good as that of NH?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:58 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by naumank
Can you elaborate on why UA PE is not as good as that of NH?
The main issues for me were two. The legrest does not come out to align with the footrest. The footrest barely comes down. So, essentially, it's one or the other, unlike what I found in NH. Second, I am not sure if it was just this particular crew, but every time meal service was in effect, they asked people in my row to put seat-backs upright. I did not eat. I was trying to sleep and tried P+ for this. Didn't work for me. Never happened in NH. I could stay asleep during meal service.

But on the bright side, the video cameras on the UA screens were covered (had a black sticker or cap on them). Cameras in NH were not.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planes&trains
The main issues for me were two. The legrest does not come out to align with the footrest. The footrest barely comes down. So, essentially, it's one or the other, unlike what I found in NH. Second, I am not sure if it was just this particular crew, but every time meal service was in effect, they asked people in my row to put seat-backs upright. I did not eat. I was trying to sleep and tried P+ for this. Didn't work for me. Never happened in NH. I could stay asleep during meal service.

But on the bright side, the video cameras on the UA screens were covered (had a black sticker or cap on them). Cameras in NH were not.
They would wake you and tell you to raise the seat? That seems unnecessary for P+. Anyway, I don't think it is the norm.

It has been a while since I got the PE seat on NH sadly, but I do remember sleeping more comfortably on that than on UA's. I'm not sure of the reason, though; I thought maybe the recline was more generous.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This would be me. Like PP. But then I also liked it on TK and NZ. I am a fan of the true PE product. E+ on UA does not make the cut for me on long haul flights.
Same here. PP hits a sweet spot for me -- in my industry (higher ed), most of us can't book business class fares, and for personal travel, I can rarely justify Polaris seats. PP provides a level of comfort I'm willing to pay for, without the luxury of higher cabins I don't need/want to pay for ... as well as a decent miles & $ upgrade path to Polaris for personal travel.
Brucemcdou and A Little Cow like this.

Last edited by zoned_post_meridiem; Oct 9, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Flew Premium Plus last week CDG-SFO, overall worth the ~$200 over economy would defiantly not pay more than that for the product. Food was lacking in quantity, but an improvement compared to economy. Breakfast was bread pudding or omelet and a bowl of fruit, pre arrival meal was a deli plate or pizza and a bowl of fruit. It was nice having the wider seat, but wish there was more recline and more height in the leg rest. There was no charging or limiting of free alcohol on the flight.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
On the LHR-SFO-LHR I might be tempted to pay an extra $200, but I have never seen it at that price differential. I know it's a popular route, timings, supply and demand, etc, so quite what I am doing to miss out on this I do not know !
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DCAview
For what it's worth, FAs weren't limiting drinks on LHR-EWR on Friday. The crew was surprisingly delightful, particularly since they struck me as bunch with relative seniority.

As for the PP experience itself, it was nice enough, but I can't say that I was wowed. The meal service was definitely improved over economy (and the meal was served unwrapped and nicely plated), and the TV screen was large and crisp. The seat, however, didn't seem dramatically more spacious than the economy exit row I had on the outbound, the footrest was basically useless, and I *hated* the placement of the support bar for the seat in front of me -- by placing the support bar directly in the middle of the seat, it essentially made it impossible to have any floor storage during the flight.

I'd fly PP again if it's a modest premium from the equivalent economy fare, but if the premium is too high, I'd be nearly as happy buying economy and paying extra for an exit row if one is available at booking.
Concur with this assessment. I just had my first international trip in PP and the seat is uncomfortable and the footrest is unusable. Better than 10 across, but not by much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.