Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Avis Pres, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold Fairmont Pres
I just flew earlier this week in seat 22B from NRT-EWR on a 777. Seat itself was comfortable enough for my 5'9" frame. i like the aisle seats as you can lower the armrest on the aisle side. That allows you to chicken wing your leg or even scoot out. The tv screen is excellent. Only downside is that you are close to the bathroom. The service on the other hand was weak. No pre-departure beverage. Meal service was basically the same as economy. Just a cart with supposedly different food. We had real silverware and a wine glass the was tipped on it's side. The foil was still on the food and plastic covers still over the fruit. During the 13+hr flight, the FAs came by the same amount as economy. There was no bottled water or ask of extra drinks. It didn't feel premium. I paid probably $400 extra over economy for these seats. If i had paid more, I'd be pissed. As it stands, i'm just disappointed.
coolbeans202 and TavionT like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Montyaloofah
I just flew earlier this week in seat 22B from NRT-EWR on a 777. Seat itself was comfortable enough for my 5'9" frame. i like the aisle seats as you can lower the armrest on the aisle side. That allows you to chicken wing your leg or even scoot out. The tv screen is excellent. Only downside is that you are close to the bathroom. The service on the other hand was weak. No pre-departure beverage. Meal service was basically the same as economy. Just a cart with supposedly different food. We had real silverware and a wine glass the was tipped on it's side. The foil was still on the food and plastic covers still over the fruit. During the 13+hr flight, the FAs came by the same amount as economy. There was no bottled water or ask of extra drinks. It didn't feel premium. I paid probably $400 extra over economy for these seats. If i had paid more, I'd be pissed. As it stands, i'm just disappointed.
The foil seems to be the obsession at some travel websites too as if we are entitled to have the flight attendants do everything for us. I, for one, do not care about my meal being covered in foil. If anything it keeps it hotter and frssher.
cesco.g and Meola10 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's the little things and the small attention to detail that make the difference between any premium offering. While we can always hide behind "first world problems", the point is that we have fought hard to become first world and these are our problems. I am being "offered" to upgrade my E+ to P+ for $1407 LHR-SFO. No PDB and tin foil on would irritate me immensely with that delta. Needless to say there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would pay it - even with a PDB and tin foil off !
roesner and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's the little things and the small attention to detail that make the difference between any premium offering. While we can always hide behind "first world problems", the point is that we have fought hard to become first world and these are our problems. I am being "offered" to upgrade my E+ to P+ for $1407 LHR-SFO. No PDB and tin foil on would irritate me immensely with that delta. Needless to say there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would pay it - even with a PDB and tin foil off !
I'd pay that all day long just for the seat width increase.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Fair play to you. I cannot think under what circumstances I would ever pay that for an extra 1.45".
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's closer to an extra 4" if you take out two 17" seats in Y and spread that out over the remaining 8 across. Listed seat width values are almost completely useless as there is no standard for what "seat width" measures, and at least what I care about is cabin space per pax at shoulder and elbow height.

That being said, $1,400 o/w upgrade for PE is a very steep price. Re-faring to A is probably less, and O not even that much more. I would hope to get a Polaris buyup offer for that.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Montyaloofah
In my view, $400-$500 is a reasonable amount to pay for UA's PE service on these long TPAC routes. This would be an R fare. I would certainly not pay more. ( In 2019, R fares earn 1.5 X RDM. ) I think it is best to accept the limited soft product that UA offers, to avoid disappointment.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
The TOD for it was $349. You'd be even happier. And Polaris was $480 over that.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: united
Then the foil is still irrelevant.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Late swap of aircraft to one with Premium Plus

I am on the IAH-LHR flight tomorrow and I got a text that there was an aircraft swap and they switched me to a "comparable" seat. Of course I logged back in expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised that it is the new 777 with Premium Plus seating. I don't see where they are marketing/selling the PP seating. I was able to select a PP seat and don't expect any better service, just a slightly nicer seat. I am elite, so should I worry that they are going to knock me back to regular E+? If I do get to stay in PP, is there a better seating strategy? I see that the bulkhead has more legroom but does the tray and TV in the armrest make the seat feel claustrophobic?

Forgive me if these are lame questions that have been answered numerous times as the search function just doesn't seem as helpful these days to this old timer.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
772 bulkhead legroom - window vs aisle?

Hi! I have a 772 flight coming up in row 20 - can choose between AB. Am 6’3”, and have mixed success with bulkheads. It looks like the 77W bulkheads have heaps of room so window would be good (seems like tall folks can stretch out all the way), but on the 772 is the window BH more limited and tight for someone tall (vs being on the aisle and lowering the armrest to poke into the aisle)?

thx for any thoughts!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
I had the exact same swap on the exact same route about a month ago. Went from exit row of E+ to first row of PP. As long as there are no more ac swaps, you'll be fine. Enjoy the seat. I found the extra legroom of the bulkhead to be worth it. We were travelling as a group of three, but if you're solo, try for a seat on the outside of the a/c (2-4-2 is the config). You are correct re:service - you will get the standard Y service since it's not a PP marketed flight.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If the flight is not being marketed as having PP for sale, then the seats are considered E+ seats. So long as your elite status allows you to select them you should be able to "keep" your seat with no problem. Have a look at this thread for discussion of seats on the 777 with PP:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...seats-77j.html
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prncess674
I am elite, so should I worry that they are going to knock me back to regular E+? If I do get to stay in PP, is there a better seating strategy? I see that the bulkhead has more legroom but does the tray and TV in the armrest make the seat feel claustrophobic?
If P+ service is not offered on a route, there shouldn't be any reason to sweep people out of the seats. In those cases, UA its treating P+ the same as E+.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Seems like United hasn't quite decided what it wants PP to be. Is it mainly just a bigger economy seat with service that's at most modestly better? Or is it designed to be "business-lite" with a seat that's not nearly as comfortable but many of the service trappings of a premium cabin (IME, while the seat was like domestic F, the service was like international Y). For the most part it seems to be the former, but the pricing at times seems to suggest it's the latter.
coolbeans202 and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.