Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gmt4
LHR-ORD R class.

I'll politely call and ask an agent about all this.
You might try emailing 1kvoice, noting that you did not receive benefits that are specifically referenced on the website. Benefits (listed here) are supposed to include upgraded meal options plated on china, free alcohol, Saks bedding, and an amenity kit.

I do think the seat (along with upgrade priority) is the main reason to pay extra for P+, but that's no excuse for UA's failure to deliver the advertised benefits.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Kacee
You might try emailing 1kvoice, noting that you did not receive benefits that are specifically referenced on the website. Benefits (listed here) are supposed to include upgraded meal options plated on china, free alcohol, Saks bedding, and an amenity kit.

I do think the seat (along with upgrade priority) is the main reason to pay extra for P+, but that's no excuse for UA's failure to deliver the advertised benefits.
If UA sold PP on that flight, I think our poster is going to get a travel voucher. Indeed, I would be shocked if UA doesn't offer one.

I can't imagine what went wrong here.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR-ORD R class.

I agree with Kacee, then. It's time to politely complain.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
LHR-ORD R class.

That’s awful then. I flew SFO-HKG-SFO in December and a Polaris 772 was subbed in 3 days before before flights so Premium Plus was just treated as E+ seats. Yet we all still received the PP bedding and amenity kits. Meal was Y (but that was expected.)

What was the fare difference between Y and PP when you booked ?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:35 pm

I'm assuming 22A on a 777-200 is a generic PP seat, nothing negative about it? 20 AB and KL are not available.

Hopefully moot if the Polaris upgrade clears
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Has anyone had success upgrading to PP with miles inside of the 24hr mark, like if you SDC to a flight that has PP? Since the introduction of Plus Points it looks like this might be an option now provided to you on a reservation.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Willing to oversell PP as there is empty space in Business? Just like they will for Economy

UA will clear the waitlist for Bussiness creating space or hope a few will buy up instead.
Anecdotally, I saw on one flight where J was wide open and PP was oversold by 4 simply by using the seatmap (only 4 seats open, but R8). I'm guessing they took account of people who have listed for an upgrade.

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
EWR-SFO was a morning flight, 6am I believe. This was the meal.

We sat on the ground for 45 minutes "waiting on paperwork" and were not offered water or anything.

The mid-flight snack (the waffle or cookie) was given at the same time as the breakfast.

A kind bar was offered towards the end.
The stroopwaffle/cookie is the first drink snack. Kind bar is the mid-flight snack.

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Has anyone had success upgrading to PP with miles inside of the 24hr mark, like if you SDC to a flight that has PP? Since the introduction of Plus Points it looks like this might be an option now provided to you on a reservation.
No - still cannot waitlist with miles for upgrades within 24 hours of the flight.. Yes for PlusPoints and actually managed to secure an upgrade recently.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Do wish they'd offer paid upgrades to PP on award tix prior to T24 like E+.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Do wish they'd offer paid upgrades to PP on award tix prior to T24 like E+.
Have you seen empty PP seats? IME, there is already a long waitlist and the cabin goes out full.
Realize much can be said the same about business but PP cabins are much smaller and suspect most are purchased fares.
PP cabins are frequently oversold and that would certainly block cash upgrades.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you seen empty PP seats? IME, there is already a long waitlist and the cabin goes out full.
Realize much can be said the same about business but PP cabins are much smaller and suspect most are purchased fares.
PP cabins are frequently oversold and that would certainly block cash upgrades.
I think SQ may have the smallest amount of PE seats in the cabin (well apart from the new A350 ULR).. NZ has a fair number definitely more than UA. TK (my first experience with PE seating) had a large amount in the cabin but did away with them. I suspect UA looked at the SQ model for determining the number of seats.

I am someone who chooses to book PE and so far the UA price has been right. As other folks say for Polaris - if you want to sit in the PE cabin you need to purchase it.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think SQ may have the smallest amount of PE seats in the cabin (well apart from the new A350 ULR).. NZ has a fair number definitely more than UA. TK (my first experience with PE seating) had a large amount in the cabin but did away with them. I suspect UA looked at the SQ model for determining the number of seats.

I am someone who chooses to book PE and so far the UA price has been right. As other folks say for Polaris - if you want to sit in the PE cabin you need to purchase it.
Cash pricing for PP must be the key then. Mileage pricing is outrageous, and no opportunity to buy up on a Y award either.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:08 am

OK, here is a bombshell. United is confirming you only get the full PP treatment some of the time. On "select" longhaul flights.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm pretty sure they mean that PE is only offered for purchase on select long-haul flights.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I'm pretty sure they mean that PE is only offered for purchase on select long-haul flights.
No it isn't. I can't screenshot the entire page but here is the link. The page says you always get the better seat but only get the service on select longhauls.

United Premium Plus Mobile
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Originally Posted by findark
No it isn't. I can't screenshot the entire page but here is the link. The page says you always get the better seat but only get the service on select longhauls.

United Premium Plus Mobile
I would agree with findark, the word "select" is used multiple times and covers UA for long hual flights without PP. Does not look like a "bomshell" or a retreat from initial marketing but rather to cover those cases PP does not exist.

"our new option on select flights" -- the word select is used at least five times in that link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.