Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ROCUAflyer
I had the opposite experience on my EWR-NRT in Nov when I was seated in the PP cabin. It filled up on the seat map weeks ahead of time. Could just be a time of year thing?
Maybe, I just looked at Tuesday's flight this week and it had 15 empty seats in P+, but WED and THU (today) had only 6 empty seats.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Anecdotally from lots of inventory browsing, yes they are selling PE. It's a small cabin though - hard not to.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
Anecdotally from lots of inventory browsing, yes they are selling PE. It's a small cabin though - hard not to.
What kind of buy-up prices do they offer at check-in with an empty P+ cabin? Could someone have gotten a seat for $100- say, or is there a minimum price?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zombietooth
What kind of buy-up prices do they offer at check-in with an empty P+ cabin? Could someone have gotten a seat for $100- say, or is there a minimum price?
I don't know about buyups, but R fares have been so low since the introduction they're practically giving away the seats for free anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
When Polaris cabin is full, the PP cabin is also filled by NRSAs. Without them, the PP cabin was not very full for my four IAD-NRT trips in the past two months.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have formed the impression that ex-EWR the PP cabin sells much better than ex-IAD, but that isn't too surprising given the similar trend for Polaris.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
SFO-EWR buyup price is around 400. I suppose the amount fluctuates depending on the flight.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:19 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Earlier this year, my flight was changed from a 773 (with PP) to a 772 without PP. This happened about 6 weeks before my flight, and I was moved back to coach and not given any options. I tried twice to see if they would open upgrade space so I could use a GPU, but the request was denied. In the end, I SDCed to different flights with upgrade inventory, so flew in business afterall, but at the expense of a GPU. This may not be relevant for late aircraft swaps.
That's... sort of shocking. It's a different class of service (not like E+, which is still Y), so doesn't the COC say that UA is generally obliged to transport you in the class of service that you purchased or refund the price difference? I mean, if I buy domestic F and the route gets downgauged to an ERJ-145, I understand that I'm gonna be in Y -- but IIRC, in that case I'm due some kind of refund. And they should provide substantial flexibility to change to another route or day that has PP.

I'm not shocked that UA didn't open upgrade space -- it would have been a nice resolution, but it's not in the contract, and most airlines are pretty resistant to offer "creative" traveler-friendly solutions that aren't in the contract.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
I've flown P+ about half a dozen times internationally, and never got the pre-departure water. Are they supposedly just supposed to go through with little plastic cups? Seems like a waste of time/effort if so... I wouldn't mind a water bottle waiting at the seat though.

You are not missing much not getting an amenity kit.
Not true; the current PP amenity kit is actual a dexterity exercise. Has anyone figured out an easy way to open them up? Am I missing something obvious? Or is it designed to separate out the noobs from those who know where the AC & USB outlets are?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If I recall correctly, it is just a standard zipper... I'll take a closer look in a few weeks (assuming my GPU doesn't clear :P)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
On my flight last week from NRT-EWR, I was in the aft J cabin and decided, mid-flight, to go back and take a look because I noticed that the mini-cabin was empty when I boarded very late. I was shocked to find that only one seat was occupied.

This is just one data point, but it sure looks like it's not a popular product and find it strange that nobody took the opportunity to buy-up from Y at check-in.
I’ve taken over a dozen TPAC trips with PP. The lowest I’ve seen is about half full during riots in HKG. Most flights the cabin is almost always full.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
On my flight last week from NRT-EWR, I was in the aft J cabin and decided, mid-flight, to go back and take a look because I noticed that the mini-cabin was empty when I boarded very late. I was shocked to find that only one seat was occupied.

This is just one data point, but it sure looks like it's not a popular product and find it strange that nobody took the opportunity to buy-up from Y at check-in.
Just depends on the flight. My friend just flew EWR - NRT yesterday, and both economy and PP were sold out.
A Little Cow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I have been watching Premium Plus on TPE-SFO over the next few days. On Dec 30 and 31, the app shows A9 O9 ON9 R9, but the flight status shows PP is booked full and there is a long waitlist. Is this phantom availability? On the 31st, the flight status shows Y is also booked full. If I am booked in O, what are the odds of op upgrade? J still has 16 open seats. I am booked in ON so I cannot use any instruments to upgrade.

Last edited by naumank; Dec 29, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
On 12/30, flight 872 (TPE-SFO) shows as open in Y but there is no inventory for PP or Polaris. On 12/31, there are 10 people on the Polaris upgrade list who are likely not non-revs, and at least some are likely in the PP cabin. The rest on the Polaris upgrade list, and all those on the PP upgrade, are likely non-revs. Therefore, I'm afraid your op-up chances to Polaris are extremely small.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
... On 12/31, there are 10 people on the Polaris upgrade list who are likely not non-revs, and at least some are likely in the PP cabin. The rest on the Polaris upgrade list, and all those on the PP upgrade, are likely non-revs. ....
In this case, that may be an inccorrect assumption. As has been documented / discussed in various threads, R and O and sometime A paid PremiumPlus customers are being shown on the PP Upgrade list and if they have a waitlist in place, they will also show up on the Polaris Standby list also. The Waitlists, especially on PP routes, are majorly messed up.

Upgrade list showing before T-24? -- new display?? buggy??

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.