Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Just tested these on the morning SFO-EWR on the 773.

I would say overall the legroom is great, but doesn't really improve on the passenger experience that much if you're already comfortable with E+ legroom (legroom adheres to the law of diminishing returns IMO). Recline is the best attribute - as someone who sleeps poorly in regular E, I found myself more comfortable and probably slept longer than I would've otherwise with regular E recline.

The footrest is poor and actively detracts from comfort unless you have strangely proportioned legs that can actually utilize them. Seat comfort is negligible compared to regular E. The screen is OK but nothing special if you're used to using iPads for IFE anyways.

I agree with the poster who said that they will not pay for these seats above a marginal amount. I can see couples willing to pony up for the 2 seat configuration on the sides. Since this is United, I don't expect the soft product (food, etc) enhancements to move the needle much either way. If I'm traveling INTL, it's lie flat business or I'll just suck it up in regular E.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
To all the people trashing the new PE seats - do you normally fly in Y with empty middles? Is the change in seat width really not noticeable?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
To all the people trashing the new PE seats - do you normally fly in Y with empty middles? Is the change in seat width really not noticeable?
Yes, I'm a bit perplexed as well, given that the physical dimensions of the PE seat are very similar to domestic F. By this logic, no one would ever pay up for the extra space in domestic F, either, but we certainly know that's not true.
airb330 and MrGood like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, I'm a bit perplexed as well...
I think all these reports are FANTASTIC, especially the ones mentioning not wanting to spend any more money for PE and not finding it worth upgrading into.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
I think all these reports are FANTASTIC, especially the ones mentioning not wanting to spend any more money for PE and not finding it worth upgrading into.
Well it goes to whether expectations are realistic. If people are expecting anything approaching lie-flat comfort, obviously they'll be disappointed. But if the goal is escaping 10 across Y, it seems to me that the physical dimensions alone suggest a material improvement. Much like moving from domestic E+ to domestic F, which many of us regularly pay to do. Not for the pampering luxury but because we don't like being squeezed 6 across in a narrowbody.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:41 pm

Well it goes to whether expectations are realistic. If people are expecting anything approaching lie-flat comfort, obviously they'll be disappointed. But if the goal is escaping 10 across Y, it seems to me that the physical dimensions alone suggest a material improvement. Much like moving from domestic E+ to domestic F, which many of us regularly pay to do. Not for the pampering luxury but because we don't like being squeezed 6 across in a narrowbody.
Aye.

In re-reading my previous post, I apologize for omitting following part: "..., because it means there will be better availability for me, and all who appreciate NOT sitting in 10-across Y."

PE is the one thing that gives some hope of escaping dreaded sardine'ification that is currently going on.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Aye.

In re-reading my previous post, I apologize for omitting following part: "..., because it means there will be better availability for me, and all who appreciate NOT sitting in 10-across Y."
I had gotten your point even without the clarification. I totally agree with that sentiment. However, United totally disappointed me when they decided that there are not selling those PE seats for flight from ORD on United metal.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:16 pm

Aye.

PE is the one thing that gives some hope of escaping dreaded sardine'ification that is currently going on.
Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense now.

It seems to me the real benefit of the new PE is for business travelers who don't have flexibility and thus can't confirm GPU at booking. If their employer will spring for PE (or if they can upfare at reasonable cost), they are at least guaranteed no10-across, and will also have priority in the GPU upgrade queue.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:57 pm

It seems to me the real benefit of the new PE is for business travelers who don't have flexibility and thus can't confirm GPU at booking. If their employer will spring for PE (or if they can upfare at reasonable cost), they are at least guaranteed no10-across, and will also have priority in the GPU upgrade queue.
That directly applies to myself. Even if my employer does not spring for PE, it will cost me less than the P fare that my employer will not reimburse. In PE, I will worry less that my upgrade to Polaris does not clear.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That's me also - especially westbound TATL, I am content to pay for PE and waitlist a GPU, flying in PE if need be. I will not waitlist and risk Y (and for me it's all about being able to shrug my shoulders and cross my legs without contacting a seatmate).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, I'm a bit perplexed as well, given that the physical dimensions of the PE seat are very similar to domestic F. By this logic, no one would ever pay up for the extra space in domestic F, either, but we certainly know that's not true.
I am the type that would never pay extra to upgrade (other than the W "copay" to use a GPU), unless I get a TOD offer as I find the improvement to be marginal. I good E+ seat especially with an empty middle can often be better than a domestic F seat. But for example, if PE costs twice as much as Y, I don't think the seat experience is twice as good.

I think as the back seats get worse (10-across, thinner harder seats, etc), PE will start looking better.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA
Just booked a trip from ORD to PEK in early march. If I paid for E+, how likely is it that it will be plane with P+? Do people with E+ fares get upgrade to P+ automatically in that case?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, vaguba
Originally Posted by vaguba
Just booked a trip from ORD to PEK in early march. If I paid for E+, how likely is it that it will be plane with P+? ...
Maybe 50/50 but I would suspect by March UA will be focusing the Polaris/PE convert 772 on specific routes, so the chances will be nearly 100% or 0% depending on if ORD-PEK is selected as a route to offer paid PE after March. I notice for April PE is not offered for sale on that route, I would take that as a bad sign

Originally Posted by vaguba
Do people with E+ fares get upgrade to P+ automatically in that case?
No, if it did become available on your aircraft, UA might let you select the seat if still considered E+ (would be a different fee) and UA is likely going to focus on their elites getting access first.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, vaguba
...the chances will be nearly 100% or 0% depending on if ORD-PEK is selected as a route to offer paid PE after March. I notice for April PE is not offered for sale on that route, I would take that as a bad sign
Interesting and good detective work.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:32 pm

Interesting and good detective work.
Sorry, it's not good detective work. It has been announced that there are no flights from ORD where you can purchase Premium Plus. It's going to be a long time before we get flights where we can purchase Premium Plus on United from ORD. Even for June it's not available to Europe. However, now we can purchase on the United website Premium Economy on LH to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.