Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I did not fly in the PP seats, but had my first flight on an aircraft with them (772). I went back midflight and poked my head through the curtain to check it out. My impression was very consistent with what the dimensions suggest - very strongly reminiscent of recliner F on the 717 (2-2) or 767 (2-2-2). The seats were wide enough to be comfortable without having a ton of space between them like 737 F, and enough legroom for comfort without making climbing out terribly easy. Pax looked relaxed and happy, not the miserable shoulder-cramp that is 3-4-3 Y.

The only thing that was difficult to judge without flying in them was the foot/leg rest situation. But based on my look-around I would be perfectly happy for a day flight like Europe to the East Coast. They're basically Economy without any of the tortuously bad aspects, so pretty much as advertised. Obviously lie-flat J is still a huge improvement, but for the crazy-low debut prices (especially TPAC), PE seems like a sweet deal to me.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
How does UA PE compare to LH wrt recline? Seeing some summer fares where PE SFO to Europe is priced same as economy with option on LH and UA. From what I can see LH has a bit more recline?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
seat selection currently

I'm flying London to Auckland via SFO next week. I've noticed on seat selection the configuration online is 3-4-3 with one seat blocked out. There is an unbookable 3rd seat in 4 seat section for several rows back. Does this mean that section has the new PPE seating installed, just not live as a class until march start date?

I flew same route in Dec and some of the flights had PPE seating and others didn't. I was told they were just trialing the configurations for air crew at that point.

I ask, because I'd jump on empty forward PE seats that are now split by this phantom seat. Otherwise I risk my wife getting very mad at me if I gave away our current PE seats that are together.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You have a toss-up on each flight as to whether they will fly a frame with PE. They are selling and displaying those seats as regular Economy because they can't make any promises. The odds are roughly equal to the proportion of that aircraft type flying with PE seats.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked EWR-FRA on the new 787 in April. Looking forward to trying PP!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I flew it yesterday LAX EWR. I loved it. It's like domestic first. Choice of two hot meals, and open bar. If you can't have Polaris, it's a huge improvement over regular economy plus. I don't know what they're charging for it, since I got it for free as gold. I flew the first 787-10, the 0001. Good crew.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
does anyone have any experience with the suggestion of a flight that might have this configuration.

'I've noticed on seat selection the configuration online is 3-4-3 with one seat blocked out. There is an unbookable 3rd seat in 4 seat section for several rows back. Does this mean that section has the new PPE seating installed, just not live as a class until march start date?'

the fact you can't select the blocked out part implies it is PPE configured. I notice on return that the same plane type allows you to selected this 3 ghost seat as normal.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by syrahnose
does anyone have any experience with the suggestion of a flight that might have this configuration.

'I've noticed on seat selection the configuration online is 3-4-3 with one seat blocked out. There is an unbookable 3rd seat in 4 seat section for several rows back. Does this mean that section has the new PPE seating installed, just not live as a class until march start date?'

the fact you can't select the blocked out part implies it is PPE configured. I notice on return that the same plane type allows you to selected this 3 ghost seat as normal.
It means that United does not know yet which configuration you will get on the day you are flying. The real map will appear about 60 hours before your flight but may still change afterwards.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:47 pm

Quick, what's better? 3 seats in E+ or a window seat in premium plus?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sincx
Quick, what's better? 3 seats in E+ or a window seat in premium plus?
I would take premium plus. 3 seats in E+ could vanish if there’s random standby passengers you can’t predict.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by airb330

I would take premium plus. 3 seats in E+ could vanish if there’s random standby passengers you can’t predict.
Done. A bulkhead middle PP actually opened up, so I took that instead. Seems like there's enough room in the bulkhead row to get to the aisle without disturbing the other passengers.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sincx
Done. A bulkhead middle PP actually opened up, so I took that instead. Seems like there's enough room in the bulkhead row to get to the aisle without disturbing the other passengers.
not if leg rests are up there’s not.

Im an aisle guy, but likely would have taken a window over a middle, particularly since there’s only ever one person to get by in PP. but to each their own.

Definitely would take PP over an apparent full row of E+, because, as already mentioned, very likely not to stay an empty row by the time boarding is complete.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:58 pm

Update: apparently there were a bunch of no-shows, and an agent actually came on-board to move me to an aisle premium plus seat. (I never even asked!) Definitely above and beyond, especially for a mere plat like me.

There's a number of empty middle premium plus seats now, but most of econ+ have their own block of seats, so I'm guessing they don't want to switch.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Are the TVs in the armrests in all rows or just the bulkhead seats? Asking for a friend.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:18 am

thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.