Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rmannion
IMO not being shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor makes a massive difference over E+ (I'm short and normal-sized). Though I didn't get any sleep on a TPAC, I didn't feel utterly defeated at the end of the flight.
This alone will drive my purchase of a PP seat. I absolutely hate the sardine effect of a 10-across Y seating arrangement, and will purchase PP whenver I can.
Silver Fox, narvik and findark like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Minor notice: UA does not operate the 717 or any 767 in domestic F-class.
Sure, but there isn't a comparable seat operated by UA right now. Other airlines have these configs, so quite possible OP has experienced them
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:53 am

I was lucky enough to snag a Premium Plus seat on my NRT-SFO flight about a month ago. A few days before my flight, I noticed there was an equipment swap, and I quickly switched my seat. I was on an award ticket booked into E-, so I'm not exactly sure how the system let me switch to P+, since I currently don't have UA status, but I definitely wasn't complaining!

Pros:
- The seat was super comfortable, and much better than PE products on other airlines I've flown. Lots of legroom! Even though I was in a middle seat, I never felt cramped (I'm 5'10). I'm one of those who has a hard time sleeping on planes, but I was able to get a good couple hours rest.
- IFE is very sleek, large screen, easy to navigate.

A few quibbles:
- The sound cut out of the IFE about an hour before arrival. My neighbor seemed to have the same problem. FAs were busy with meal service, so I didn't feel it was worth bothering them.
- Meals were typical economy food, nothing memorable.
- Not a lot of under seat storage. I had a small travel bag, and that basically took up the whole space.

Overall, I enjoyed the product. Seat comfort is important to me, and I felt UA delivered on that. UA is never going to win on service, so as long as they maintain a good hard product, I will continue to fly them.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by apingpong
- Meals were typical economy food, nothing memorable.
I believe this is because the PE product hasn't actually launched yet. The hard product (seats) are in place, but the soft product (e.g. meals) isn't being delivered yet.

Glad to hear the seat was good! Looking forward to hearing about how the food differs from Economy - my first flight in PE isn't for a few months yet.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I didn't get to sit in any bulkhead seats, so no personal experience. However, based on what I could see, they extend from underneath the seat and thus, bulkheads would likely be a better place to sit for tall people because they wouldn't be in your way and hitting your shins.
I sat in UA 869 yesterday bulk row seat. Really spacious legroom, can fit 6’4” passenger with leg stretched. Some passengers used the space between our bulk row seats and business class wall divider, to walk around to get to the other side’s bathroom.

They are attached to the legrests. You can flip them down so they're perpendicular to the legrests, which itself can be angled... maybe 30 degrees or so? By pressing a button, you can push the footrests down (think of it as extending the length of the legrests).

IMO not being shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor makes a massive difference over E+ (I'm short and normal-sized). Though I didn't get any sleep on a TPAC, I didn't feel utterly defeated at the end of the flight.

The IFE UI got a major overhaul. It's really sleek and responsive. The screens are large, and the seats came with headphones that seemed to have some passive noise reduction by virtue of them cupping the ears a bit.

The crew on my flight today (UA808) were really giddy over the new seats, and were eager to try out some of special procedures on them (like collapsing the armrests or removing the seat cover), and pointing out to passengers the location of the charging ports, etc.

A common theme I'm seeing in the few times I've rode in that cabin is that it's not obvious enough how to use the seat controls - seat position, popping out the tray table, or releasing the bulkhead IFE monitors (the button is TINY!).
Some bulk row seats have problem with headphone fit properly 2-prong jacks. They apparently only accept single prong jack. Both my neighbor and I had this problem, and had to use the cheapo UA single prong version headphone instead of the full noise-canceling 2-prong version.

Originally Posted by phxrsng
I believe this is because the PE product hasn't actually launched yet. The hard product (seats) are in place, but the soft product (e.g. meals) isn't being delivered yet.

Glad to hear the seat was good! Looking forward to hearing about how the food differs from Economy - my first flight in PE isn't for a few months yet.
FA mentioned starting April the catering may be same as business class
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by npei
FA mentioned starting April the catering may be same as business class
Really! Champagne in Premium Economy.! I will await reports of this with interest.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Really! Champagne in Premium Economy.! I will await reports of this with interest.
Me too, will be flying PE in June. Kind of excited about this.

alextktan
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by jh6000
What is the seat pitch and width on these seats? How does that compare to Economy Plus?
On the B787-10 (PS route) in P+ compared to B772 in E+ (TATL 3-3-3 E+ old-style CO) I prefer the latter.
I put a small sports bag underneath the seat in front of me, and in the center aisle seats there's much less space for that, meaning I'm more cramped than in E+ on other flights (even domestic).

The Foot-rest further limits what you can put underneath that seat in front of you.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Questions About United's New Premium Plus on the 787-10

Hi FT Community,

I recently purchased a roundtrip ticket to Frankfurt for June 15th in United's new Premium Plus cabin on their 787-10. I've been trying to learn more about the soft product that they will be introducing later this month, but haven't been able to find any specific details. Below are a few questions I have, thanks!

1. What will the Premium Plus dining be like? I understand meals will be served on "actual" plates, etc, but what can I expect in terms of food quality, portions, and number of meals on a flight from EWR-FRA and back?

2. Which lavatory does Premium Plus use? Do we use the ones located just in front of our cabin, or do we trek to the back of the plane?

3. What will our "priority boarding" privilege look like?

4. How much will the soft product/service differ from EconomyPlus? I flew on United's retrofitted 777-200 from MUC-ORD in a physical Premium Plus seat (which was very pleasant) but obviously without the true Premium Plus service (which starts later this month).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
I recently purchased a roundtrip ticket to Frankfurt for June 15th in United's new Premium Plus cabin on their 787-10. I've been trying to learn more about the soft product that they will be introducing later this month, but haven't been able to find any specific details. Below are a few questions I have, thanks!

1. What will the Premium Plus dining be like? I understand meals will be served on "actual" plates, etc, but what can I expect in terms of food quality, portions, and number of meals on a flight from EWR-FRA and back? ...
United has not been very clear on the Premium Plus cabin and it is still a month before the first actual flight, so no actual onboard experiences yet reported.
The best available info is United® Premium Plus
It is rumored that the meal service will be similar to business
customers seated in United® Premium Plus will receive an elevated dining experience with complimentary alcoholic beverages as well as custom dinnerware with flatware and a cloth napkin.
2. Which lavatory does Premium Plus use? Do we use the ones located just in front of our cabin, or do we trek to the back of the plane?
Have no idea, PP is blocked off as a separate cabin so it could be either.

3. What will our "priority boarding" privilege look like?
all UA states is "Premier Access® to help you get on your way faster" -- my guess is Boarding Group 2
Other benefits
Two free standard checked bags so you can pack more
Discounted United Club access for a better travel experience
Reserved overhead bin space for your carry-on bag
4. How much will the soft product/service differ from EconomyPlus? ....
The impression UA is leaving is better than E+, closer to Business

Have not heard which group of FAs will handle the PP cabin
JackFranchino likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have no idea, PP is blocked off as a separate cabin so it could be either.
At least on domestic 787-10 flights, there are no restrictions for pax seated in PP using the 2 lavs by door 2 (area between business and PP).

The port side lav is larger than the starboard side lav by door 2.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As a broad rule across the industry, PE has a soft product very similar to J, delivered in a recliner rather than flatbed seat. I would expect UA, in broad terms, to deliver this as well.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:03 pm

Regarding the lavatories, the ones immediately in front of the PP cabin are meant to be for Polaris only. There are also curtains indicating so, but that didn't prevent stop most pax from using the closer lavs...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Regarding the lavatories, the ones immediately in front of the PP cabin are meant to be for Polaris only. There are also curtains indicating so, but that didn't prevent stop most pax from using the closer lavs...
And won't prevent them given the scarcity of toilets these days.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:46 am

I doubt that UA has given much thought yet as to which potty PE pax should use. Logistically, the closer Polaris lavs make sense, especially since there are relatively few PE pax.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.