Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If R space is available, I doubt you'll see a better deal than today's R fares.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As this service as a separate cabin has not yet started what UA plans to offer at OCLI is not yet known. Time will tell.
Should be no issue upfaring to O, A, or R today
And mileage upgrades into RN may be available (think the same roughly mileage as for business but no copay)
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...ardTravel.aspx

My guess RN will be tight until UA has a better sense of demand
Thank you @WineCountryUA. I had not realized this nuance. Before people say I should have known because I am a 1K member, yes I realize it is on the website somewhere but there is so much on the website and until I focus on an issue I do not really appreciate the nuances and this is a great summary for me to remember going forward. This is going to make PP a very popular choice for me going forward when I have used up my GPUs, especially as I can use any fare.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:38 am

Booked an R fare flight for April 1 from FRA to EWR! It was only $150 more expensive than Economy fare + E+ fee with the 50% E+ discount. Didn't realize that full PE service would start only on March 30.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:53 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Might be a bit early for this.

Looking at E+ flights from IAD to FRA or MUC in late May. Options right now for 772 look like the ex UA with F sold as J and nine across in E+. However if the plane swaps to a re-configured it adds P+ but goes to ten across in E+. So am I safe in 22D that I will be in either P+ seat or nine across E+, or would I get booted back to ten across E+ or worse?

Other options involve a less convenient 767 with the E+ and 18" width guaranteed.

Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA
Sat in the new PP bulkhead seat (20A) and it was a wonderful experience seatwise. Recline was good and the footrest made it feel like napping in recliner. I also appreciated the minicabin vibe that kept most of the hooligans and screaming children out of your area. Given the darwinian conditions of the 3-4-3 layout in 777 economy classes now I think it was well worth the $160 upgrade for a vastly better flying experience.

The downside is that the PP minicabin is too compact for its own bathroom so you have to share with the rest of economy. While some users mentioned that they were able to use the forward bathrooms in business up ahead, on my flight back I saw a flight attendant kick a guy out who was not polaris and looking for a bathroom up front.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by vaguba
….The downside is that the PP minicabin is too compact for its own bathroom so you have to share with the rest of economy. While some users mentioned that they were able to use the forward bathrooms in business up ahead, on my flight back I saw a flight attendant kick a guy out who was not polaris and looking for a bathroom up front.
Access to a dedicated toilet for the PP cabin seems a huge oversight on the part of United. Hopefully United rethinks the access to the Polaris cabin. If PP gets the Polaris food (as reported) then surely the Polaris facilities is reasonable. I am looking forward to my first PP experience in May! Thank you @vaguba for the report as I have reserved 20A for the flight.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I had 20D on EWR-BOM last month. The seat was excellent and I dozed off for a few hours a couple of times. Great recline and especially the leg rest. This is a winner.

The nit picking negatives. (1) the bathroom, (2) the awkward position of the power outlet, and (3) the change of alignment of the aisle between Polaris and P+ meant being brushed by FAs walking between the two cabins (affects center aisle seats at the front/bulkhead.

I’ll definitely book P+ for these seats but the best seats may be the AB/KL bulkheads, not D/G.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Access to a dedicated toilet for the PP cabin seems a huge oversight on the part of United. Hopefully United rethinks the access to the Polaris cabin. If PP gets the Polaris food (as reported) then surely the Polaris facilities is reasonable. I am looking forward to my first PP experience in May! Thank you @vaguba for the report as I have reserved 20A for the flight.
Most PY I’ve flown has used the Y toilet. The exception is AC, but only if the J toilet is in the galley immediately in front of the PY cabin.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I’ve flown PP three or four times now and I always use the Polaris lavatories. The real joy of booking PP now that they’re charging for it is the 150% mileage credit (eqm). The second best thing is that if your GPU doesn’t clear you’re in PP not Y.
dav3d likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
Looking at PE awards out of Europe through EWR into Florida and every PE seat I find at saver level 45k jumps to 120k with the connection into Florida even though economy saver space is available at 12.5k for the connecting flight. What gives? Is this a booking engine issue? Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:16 am

Was on a flight last week from Frankfurt to SFO and seated in PP. Someone asked if there will be more work for the FAs in Economy and PP together when it starts in April. The FA said PP will actually be served by C class FA so it'll be one less section for them. Not sure if it's true or not.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by myperks
Was on a flight last week from Frankfurt to SFO and seated in PP. Someone asked if there will be more work for the FAs in Economy and PP together when it starts in April. The FA said PP will actually be served by C class FA so it'll be one less section for them. Not sure if it's true or not.
I sure hope J gets more FAs if that's the case, especially after the scorched earth staffing policy started in Feb.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by findark
I sure hope J gets more FAs if that's the case, especially after the scorched earth staffing policy started in Feb.
Yes indeed. The reduced Polaris service was very evident on my recent ORD-HKG flight. Of course part of it could be the lazy FAs I had. People on the other side of the cabin got proactive drink refills and some smiles to boot!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
If I book a Premium Plus ticket that involves a connection with a United flight that does not offer Premium Plus, would I be eligible for free economy plus on that flight? I no longer have status with United and this will be a flight paid with cash.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by happydude
If I book a Premium Plus ticket that involves a connection with a United flight that does not offer Premium Plus, would I be eligible for free economy plus on that flight?...
No, the same answer for a First class ticket but no F space ==> no free E+ access either

Unexpectly and in contrast to F tickets, E+ does appear to be included at no extra cost for PP fares.
SFHokie and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2019 at 7:13 pm Reason: Updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.