Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I am #6 on the UG list with two seats available.

Does anyone know the amenities that are provided in P+?

1. Earphones?
2. Alcohol?
3. Pillow?
4. Blanket?

Thank you.
It will be standard economy offering in the near future.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
I’m flying soon too, so looking forward to your review
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

One could imagine corporate travel policies eventually being modified to only allow PE for daytime flights or flights in between 6-9 hours which would cannibalize J revenue. Part of reducing the risk of that is rebranding it Business and PE instead of the old-school First and Business.
This has been Mrs LHRSFO's corporate policy for at least ten years now. 8 hours or more is PE except for redeyes where a full day's work is required immediately after landing, when it's C. Staff are expected to work on day flights in PE, which is clearly not practicable in E.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

The rebranding of old world First to new world business and old world business to new world PE has a bit to do with trying to make sure business passengers buy what’s called business class. With larger business class cabins that are all lie flat there is a case to be made that business travelers need to be able to sleep on long hauls so they arrive and can work. The main business risk of PE is not that some portion of Y passengers won’t pay a premium for Y, but that eventually businesses who would otherwise buy J buy PE instead because it is offered. One could imagine corporate travel policies eventually being modified to only allow PE for daytime flights or flights in between 6-9 hours which would cannibalize J revenue. Part of reducing the risk of that is rebranding it Business and PE instead of the old-school First and Business.
I understand that. In my case, my employer does not pay for Business Class for my international long hauls. I have a total of five international long hauls for work this year. For two trips, I was able to upfare to P as the rates were reasonable. For one trip, I used GPUs. For two trips, I used miles + copay. This adds up to a lot of money coming from my pocket. But, then, it's my choice to do international long hauls. My employer does not require that I do them. Maybe if my employer required them they would pay for Business. Flying Premium Economy will be better for my pocket and as I flew the BA Premium Economy for two years in 2014 to 2016 I know exactly what Premium Economy is.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It will be standard economy offering in the near future.
There were blankets and pillows on my last flight in P+. Other than that, it was standard economy service. Also, I don't use IFE when flying, so I didn't notice if there were headphones.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I am #6 on the UG list with two seats available.

Does anyone know the amenities that are provided in P+?

1. Earphones?
2. Alcohol?
3. Pillow?
4. Blanket?

Thank you.
On SFO-IAD, each seat had noise cancelling 2 pronged headphones. Otherwise, same service as Y. No pillow or blanket and BoB.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I was just on the SAS A340 and I think it had deviders on both sides. I agree, leg rest worked very well. Food was the Y food, but on China, and with champaign and snacks. But I found the SAS food to be much better than what UA gives in domestic First. I happily ate what SAS served, would not say that about UA's food...
Sorry. Let me clarify, there are dividers, but they do not extend to the floor. In other words, there are unlimited amount of legrooms (unless one is really really tall).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by lehms
I’m flying soon too, so looking forward to your review
The flight ended up not having P+. Not sure when they changed as had been P+ config for most of the reservation. It has been a very long time since I sat in E+ for TATL. Fortunately I was bulkhead window but for some reason the FAs turned on all the lights when handing out the midnight snack and it woke me up and I could not get back to sleep even after the finally turned the lights back off.

So still to experience my first P+ flight, but the icecream was very good!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

On my flight IAD - NRT no headphones, no blankets. Regular Y service. I bought 4 Dewars and was charged for 4. Not that I'm complaining but on most of my IAD to Europe flights if I buy 4 I'm always paying for 2 or 3. The seat itself was nicer than Lufthansa's PE. I had bulkhead seat 20K (I think) and it had plenty of leg room.
Would I pay around $250-300 for upgrade from regular Y? Yes, but only if the food was not the same as Y.
Is anyone on this board that eats this s$#t that United serves in Economy class? No matter what you get, you always get crap with some green mush, some red mush and chicken (I think it's a chicken).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bwiadca
On my flight IAD - NRT no headphones, no blankets. Regular Y service. I bought 4 Dewars and was charged for 4.
Looks like you got what you paid for....except a better seat.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:39 am

Premium Economy seating feedback for 777-300ER?

I was looking around and all I saw was discussion on seat reassignments, but I couldn't find any feedback on the actual seats.

My UA90 EWR-TLV just got this seat map, I'm assuming it means premium economy. I'm now debating myself if it's better to stay in the aisle seat 35D (aisle access without forcing someone up is important to me) or better to do 22F because maybe there's a bunch of extra space between seats, or maybe they're just so much better it's worth it to leave the 3-4-3 config, or perhaps 22F doesn't have any recline like domestic first last row typically don't.

Any comments or experiences/links are appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2018 at 2:33 am Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Barakp
I was looking around and all I saw was discussion on seat reassignments, but I couldn't find any feedback on the actual seats.

My UA90 EWR-TLV just got this seat map, I'm assuming it means premium economy. I'm now debating myself if it's better to stay in the aisle seat 35D (aisle access without forcing someone up is important to me) or better to do 22F because maybe there's a bunch of extra space between seats, or maybe they're just so much better it's worth it to leave the 3-4-3 config, or perhaps 22F doesn't have any recline like domestic first last row typically don't.

Thanks
i would take a center Premium Plus over aisle E+. Seats are a lot better and the armrest is wide enough on either side. (Think domestic first class)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by Barakp

Thanks
I'd pick 30K ... you can get up without bothering anyone, unlimited leg room, solid armrest (POS can't poach into your seat), but seats narrower due to AVOD in armrest and may have people standing in front of you waiting for the lav. Not sure if 22F may have limited recline due?
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bwiadca
On my flight IAD - NRT no headphones, no blankets. Regular Y service. I bought 4 Dewars and was charged for 4. Not that I'm complaining but on most of my IAD to Europe flights if I buy 4 I'm always paying for 2 or 3. The seat itself was nicer than Lufthansa's PE. I had bulkhead seat 20K (I think) and it had plenty of leg room.
Would I pay around $250-300 for upgrade from regular Y? Yes, but only if the food was not the same as Y.
Is anyone on this board that eats this s$#t that United serves in Economy class? No matter what you get, you always get crap with some green mush, some red mush and chicken (I think it's a chicken).
typically all PE seats come with came economy food, just in better plating.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Is there a thread to see what flights are currently booking with PE? I'm interested specifically in EWR - Germany in the spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.