Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by oblisk
I have a booked Premium Plus ticket (NYC-LHR) and i've been checking daily and I have yet to see a cash buy up offer to Polaris. I'm guessing revenue management hasn't figured that out that pricing yet. Has anyone seen a buy-up offer?
I booked EWR-CDG in Premium Plus and I immediately had a buy-up offer to Polaris, but it was just the difference between the Polaris fare and my Premium Plus ticket. Used 20000 miles and $400 copay to be placed on the upgrade list for Polaris instead. Once I applied the Mileage Award Upgrade the cash offer disappeared.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
I booked EWR-CDG in Premium Plus and I immediately had a buy-up offer to Polaris, but it was just the difference between the Polaris fare and my Premium Plus ticket. Used 20000 miles and $400 copay to be placed on the upgrade list for Polaris instead. Once I applied the Mileage Award Upgrade the cash offer disappeared.
I find this so annoying. It is not as if I do not know they offer paid upgrades and sometimes I do think about paying the cash rather than hoping the GPU will work but United's loss of revenue.

Also, it would be nice if UA IT would program in the GGBUYUP as an option. There are times where again I think about this for some flights and calling in is such a waste of time. Again United's loss of revenue.

I have a flight in November where I have been thinking about buying up to PP but with the GPU there no option is available to me to pay for PP. I am outside the 24 hour window by about three weeks. 😛
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
.... I have a flight in November where I have been thinking about buying up to PP but with the GPU there no option is available to me to pay for PP. ...
Calling for a quote works fine plus a change flight can give you an estimate (but need to call to get the change fee waived). Usually takes 2-3 minutes to get an agent quote.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I didn't have a chance to look through all the posts. Quick question. Can we pre-order food (not the usual economy food like Asian Vegetarian) ahead of time like I can on Eva Air?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
I didn't have a chance to look through all the posts. Quick question. Can we pre-order food (not the usual economy food like Asian Vegetarian) ahead of time like I can on Eva Air?
UA does not have pre-ordering (yet) for any flights in any cabin (UA is doing some testing, perhaps in the future). You can order a "Special Meal" but just as a particular category-- not a specific meal choice.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Too Rich for my blood.

Im flying in two weeks to Asia. Flying westbound EWR-HNL-GUM-MNL. All 3 segments in paid First/Business.

The return is MNL-GUM-NRT-EWR. I bought Premier Plus (R class) for the return. (Only offered on the NRT-EWR leg).
MNL-GUM just cleared into business using an RPU.
GUM-NRT was upgraded at purchase.
So I just checked what it would cost to upgrade from Premier Plus to Polaris on the NRT-EWR leg?

“An Easy Way to Treat Yourself. Upgrade your seat and enjoy the added benefits of United Polaris Business for only $9,315.00”. (Yes, that’s for just the one way NRT-EWR leg). 👎🏼
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Calling for a quote works fine plus a change flight can give you an estimate (but need to call to get the change fee waived). Usually takes 2-3 minutes to get an agent quote.
Last time I called in, I was quoted $4000. I think the agent thought I was asking for J...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I find this so annoying. It is not as if I do not know they offer paid upgrades and sometimes I do think about paying the cash rather than hoping the GPU will work but United's loss of revenue.

Also, it would be nice if UA IT would program in the GGBUYUP as an option. There are times where again I think about this for some flights and calling in is such a waste of time. Again United's loss of revenue.

I have a flight in November where I have been thinking about buying up to PP but with the GPU there no option is available to me to pay for PP. I am outside the 24 hour window by about three weeks. ��
Interesting. I found an EWR-CDG RT Premium Plus fare for around $1,100 for early next year (late-Feb/early-March, this is the sweet spot for me for TATL PP from the East Coast). I double checked the Polaris fare and came back $3,000+ (no thanks). But then, I tried PP outbound and Polaris inbound, and got $1,800. I jumped on it, and immediately they offered a buy up to Polaris outbound for $800. I will pass and maybe try my luck with a GPU? Looking back, I guess I could have just booked the PP fare both ways and roll the dice on the GPUs, but I am tired of playing games... Also, I do want to try out the PP on united. Already tried it on AA TATL, liked it.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Someone was asking about how to adjust the arm rest down. The button/latch is in front of the seat, closer to the bottom of the floor where the tray table/arm rest would go down. You'll have to pull that latch in order for the arm rest to slide down

Latch to pull in order to stow the arm rest
IAH-OIL-TRASH, RobOnLI and bioyuki like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Are their any plans to offer Premium plus on sfo-ewr?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Are their any plans to offer Premium plus on sfo-ewr?
The issue will be most of the aircraft used for SFO-EWR do not have PP and UA has taken the stance the route needs to be able to offer PP 100%.

So, short of replacing or retrofitting all the 752s and 72Gs (a whole bunch of aircraft), doubt it will be offered domestically as a fare. But you certainly can find aircraft with PP seat such, as 781s, used on SFO-EWR and available as E+.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
I'll be on SFO-AKL on the 773 soon. PZ was available at booking for the return, but on the outbound I'm in E+ and they are only selling PremiumPlus in A. So, I was wondering up to how much would people consider as a good value for paying to move from E+ to PremiumPlus for this flight either as a buy-up before the flight or a TOD offer. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by gusd
I'll be on SFO-AKL on the 773 soon. PZ was available at booking for the return, but on the outbound I'm in E+ and they are only selling PremiumPlus in A. So, I was wondering up to how much would people consider as a good value for paying to move from E+ to PremiumPlus for this flight either as a buy-up before the flight or a TOD offer. Thanks.
Everyone will have a different answer, but for me on such a long flight, you need to be comfortable. The price of personal comfort is quite subjective.

I've recently booked a number of PP tickets to/from PVG for just about $200 more (each way) than regular Y. I found that to be a reasonable amount for my personal comfort on 10-11 hour flights.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Everyone will have a different answer, but for me on such a long flight, you need to be comfortable. The price of personal comfort is quite subjective.

I've recently booked a number of PP tickets to/from PVG for just about $200 more (each way) than regular Y. I found that to be a reasonable amount for my personal comfort on 10-11 hour flights.
I'm finding PP on SFO-TPE in R is $250 more each way, which I think is reasonable. I would not pay for an A fare PP seat.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I was looking at LHR-SFO-LHR, regular economy (did not look at fare class) $509, PP $4519. I don't see $4K value under any circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.