Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Premium Economy Footrest Stuck

Flew in PE for the first time SFO-LHR and had a middle seat. It was passable but I could not get my footrest to come down to make it usable. I thought it was because the person in front of me was reclined but even when he went upright, the footrest didn't pull down. Was there a lever or some pulling or pushing action I was missing? Anyone else have that experience.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by fumje
This is normal for 1K YBM fare when inventory is PN0.

When PN opens the message will change to say 'Premier Instant Upgrade Fare', and then you can move yourself to First.
Thank you. As I am merely a lowly 1K was not aware of how PN worked. My most recent PP flight it instantly booked into domestic F (before I applied the GPU) hence my confusion.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Flew in PE for the first time SFO-LHR and had a middle seat. It was passable but I could not get my footrest to come down to make it usable. I thought it was because the person in front of me was reclined but even when he went upright, the footrest didn't pull down. Was there a lever or some pulling or pushing action I was missing? Anyone else have that experience.
I had the same problem, or at least mine would only drop a couple of inches. I never did decide if that was how it's designed or I'm just an idiot.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I could not get my footrest to come down to make it usable. ...
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I had the same problem, or at least mine would only drop a couple of inches. .....
I'm usually in the bulkhead but have done a the non-bulkhead once and I believe the footrest has three positions: all the way up, partially down and all the way down. Took a little pressure to move.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:43 pm

I'm flying NRT - IAD tomorrow for UA804 flight. I thought I saw the seatmap shows that there were P+ seats on this flight but I don't see it anymore. Anyone knows if this route offers P+ seats and generally where I can check which united flights have P+ seats. Thanks so much.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by DCVA2019
I'm flying NRT - IAD tomorrow for UA804 flight. I thought I saw the seatmap shows that there were P+ seats on this flight but I don't see it anymore. Anyone knows if this route offers P+ seats and generally where I can check which united flights have P+ seats. Thanks so much.
Wed 9/11 appears to be PP
Thur 9/12 appears to be non PP
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:56 pm

@myperks. Thanks. May I ask how you found out? I went o see the seat maps on united.com for UA804 Wed 9/11 and it didn't have any indication which are P+ only E+ from row 20 -40. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I had the same problem, or at least mine would only drop a couple of inches. I never did decide if that was how it's designed or I'm just an idiot.
This is one of my complaints about the seats - they are tougher to use than they should. The footrest gets locked into a position so you can put leg weight into it and not have it go down. To reset it, you need to push it all the way up so it is as close to the seat in front of you as possible in the upright position and then you should be able to push the footrest all the way down and raise it to the level you want it to stay. It is very finicky about resetting at the top you need to push it up hard at the end. The same problem with the leg support attached to the chair, you need to push it back really hard to get it to back into the seat.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCVA2019
@myperks. Thanks. May I ask how you found out? I went o see the seat maps on united.com for UA804 Wed 9/11 and it didn't have any indication which are P+ only E+ from row 20 -40. Thanks.
on the 77x if row 20-22 are 2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 that means PP. Also unoccupied PP is purple in color vs E+ in Blue.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
on the 77x if row 20-22 are 2-4-2 vs 3-4-3 that means PP. Also unoccupied PP is purple in color vs E+ in Blue.
Not purple until United sells it for this route, which apparently it has not. So it’ll be all blue E+ until then but if it’s 2-4-2, it should be PP seat but regular economy service.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:38 am

Premium Plus EWR-DUB cheaper than Economy Plus?

I'm not quite sure I'm posting this in in the right place, but here goes...
I have been monitoring June 2020 roundtrips from ORD-DUB or EWR-DUB for several weeks now -- first time trip to Ireland for my husband and me, and I'm a planner. Euro Cup games are being played in Dublin that week of June and it's high season for tourists, so I'm sort of concerned about flights -- we have very little flexibility in our dates as we are meeting friends over there.
Aer Lingus out of ORD is an option pricewise (Airbus 330-300) -- We like the 2-4-2 configuration (the 2 part) but the economy seats seem small for my husband (6'3, 195 lbs). Price from our home in Nashville currently about $1100 each in Economy seats.
But today a new option came up -- United had its Premium Plus (R) seats at what looked like a good price this morning on a 787-10 Dreamliner (lower than their Economy or Economy Plus). Seats would be $1400 each, Premium Plus from EWR-DUB and back, including tax and our connecting flight from Nashville (which would be Economy Plus (B). So an extra cost over Aer Lingus Economy of about $300 each, roundtrip -- $150 per leg. Just checked again and these same tickets are more than $500 more (??).
I have some questions tho before my 24Hr No-Risk Hold expires:
1) The eticket says the BNA-EWR and EWR-BNA are "Economy (B)" but I have seats selected for Economy Plus. If the plane type changes will I be forced into Economy seats, despite my assigned seat number? Not a big deal on the shorter flights, but still....
2) Bigger deal: Unlike the wording of the electronic receipt, the eticket says the EWR-DUB and DUB-EWR (UA 22 and 23) legs are "Premium Economy (R)," which I'm not sure is the same as the new Premium Plus. The word "Economy" is throwing me there. Seat assignments are for Row 21 A and B, definitely in the Premium Plus section, however.
Could the equipment change since we are so far out -- and what are the odds of that happening? And if so, could we be moved into a different fare class (say on a flight that doesn't have Premium Plus)? Do we have any recourse or do we just accept whatever they give us at the time? The main reason we would book this flight at the higher price is for the improved seating for my husband -- times are also a bit more convenient and we really like the 2-seat configuration as a couple.
Should I be fretting about any of this? And am I booking too early (only a few other seats have been sold on these flights)? Should I wait?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FleetFlyer
Should I be fretting about any of this? And am I booking too early (only a few other seats have been sold on these flights)? Should I wait?
Normally, I'd say it's early to book for next June, but that strikes me as a very good fare for premium economy. You are unlikely to do any better, and could well do worse if you do not book now.

And yes, premium economy is Premium Plus, yes, you get free E+ on the domestic sector, and yes, you are fretting too much

The one thing I'd suggest you look out for is make sure you have a reasonably timed connection at EWR.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:41 am

I flew this PP product IAH-ORD recently (and will be again tomorrow). I liked the seats compared to regular E+ but the limited space in the OH bin is just dumb. My carryon wouldn't fit in it wheels first (it fits in every other UA plane except the 1-2 configurations). I had to put it in sideways which forced another passenger to have to put his bag elsewhere behind us. What was UA thinking??
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
1) The eticket says the BNA-EWR and EWR-BNA are "Economy (B)" but I have seats selected for Economy Plus. If the plane type changes will I be forced into Economy seats, despite my assigned seat number? Not a big deal on the shorter flights, but still....
Believe it is coded (and policy) that when flying in Economy on a delegated PE fare (that is, when you paid for PE and are flying in Y domestically) that you get free E+.

2) Bigger deal: Unlike the wording of the electronic receipt, the eticket says the EWR-DUB and DUB-EWR (UA 22 and 23) legs are "Premium Economy (R)," which I'm not sure is the same as the new Premium Plus. The word "Economy" is throwing me there. Seat assignments are for Row 21 A and B, definitely in the Premium Plus section, however.
"Premium Plus" is the UA-specific brand name for their Premium Economy product (the latter is the industry-standard term). Don't worry about it, if you have a UA flight number in R class you have the correct class of service. A swap to a different equipment with no PE cabin is very unlikely, but if it were to occur you could get rerouted on any other routing that had PE seats.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Normally, I'd say it's early to book for next June, but that strikes me as a very good fare for premium economy. You are unlikely to do any better, and could well do worse if you do not book now.
Agree, for high season to Europe under $1,500 grab that price and run!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:36 am

I just haven't played this international airline game in the past 15 years or more, so I don't know the rules.

That Premium Plus roundtrip is up $500 per person this morning. But why was the Premium Plus cheaper than the Economy yesterday morning? Is pricing that random?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.