Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
Good OP-UP chances from PP?
Booked 31 for 24 total seats.
That display has been buggy the last several weeks, the "booked" number for PP is not correct.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Mulatto
I flew this PP product IAH-ORD recently (and will be again tomorrow). I liked the seats compared to regular E+ but the limited space in the OH bin is just dumb. My carryon wouldn't fit in it wheels first (it fits in every other UA plane except the 1-2 configurations). I had to put it in sideways which forced another passenger to have to put his bag elsewhere behind us. What was UA thinking??
If it was a 777, the bins in the center are not as deep by a couple inches, and don't fit a legal carryon (mine at least, which I've carefully measured) wheels first. That was true before the retrofit and I don't think they were modified. The bins on the sides are deep enough for a full size carryon.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"international surcharge" is just a variable portion of the fare -- just consider it a part of the base fare.
Why do airlines do this (YQ, I assume you mean) rather than just build into the fare?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Why do airlines do this (YQ, I assume you mean) rather than just build into the fare?
Not sure if still true but at one time the base fares had to be formally filed in some countries and during the oil / fuel crisis in the 70's YQ was allowed to reflect those rapidly fluctuating costs and could be adjusted in real-time. Additionally, for some time, taxes were only applied to the base and not YQ.

Beleive neither of the above is still true and then the DOT total airlines the term "fuel surcharges" had to actually reflect fuel expenses, so the term was changed to "international surcharges" and in reality today it is just a base fare pricing component.

Why don't they giveit up? Not sure but some systems still rank fares by base without YQ
drewguy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There was also a time when YQ was non-chargeable for agency commissions whereas base fare was. Many airlines do not waive YQ on award tickets (this is a bight spot in US carriers' mileage programs).

That being said, it's anachronistic and I don't know why carriers don't move to eliminate it, if only because the application of YQ to a ticket with three or more coupons is haphazard at best and is clearly something carriers don't really understand either.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
There was also a time when YQ was non-chargeable for agency commissions whereas base fare was. Many airlines do not waive YQ on award tickets (this is a bright spot in US carriers' mileage programs).
A definitive positive to UA's program. AA and DL both pass along surcharges from certain carriers.
findark likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by CApreppie
It will definitely be more comfortable for your husband. I just took SFO-HKG PP and posted photos a few pages earlier. Do not expect it to be like Polaris lite. Think of it like domestic first with no dedicated FAs and you won't be disappointed.
I'm on the phone right now with 1K desk; they said "Due to weakness in HKG market and China, PP configured planes are being temporarily removed from some flights". Sounded like the guy was reading from a script.

The reason I'm on the phone is that my 12/18 flight #858 PVG-SFO was one of those planes affected. I purchased an R fare for PP seating and was downgraded to a B fare and sitting in regular old economy. No thank you. Working with them on reroutings right now. (#890 on 12/19 still has PP, so switching to that...)

--- fast forward about 10 minutes ---

Phone call with agent ended and was told that no changes can be made at this time to itineraries as they are making more schedule changes over the next week. Affected passengers will be notified with chances for refunds, reroutes, and other changes. (My paraphrasing, not their words verbatim.)

So looks like next week another phone call will need to happen.

What I don't like about this is that I received no notification email about the downgrade in cabin. Hoping this is a glitch they're aware of and will fix in the future; others might be paying for PP but only getting Y if they don't watch their itineraries closely.
Silver Fox and narvik like this.

Last edited by SFHokie; Sep 14, 2019 at 7:50 pm Reason: Phone call ended, have more information now
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
In PP because UA hasn't started selling them yet, so snatched it as part of Economy Plus.

I'm assuming because of this the full PP service offering doesn't exist on these flights, still get the amenity kit, but nothing fancy like saks bedding or non-plastic flatware.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
In PP because UA hasn't started selling them yet, so snatched it as part of Economy Plus.

I'm assuming because of this the full PP service offering doesn't exist on these flights, still get the amenity kit, but nothing fancy like saks bedding or non-plastic flatware.
To what route are you referring?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
To what route are you referring?
EWR-LHR
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

You get standard E+ service if PP is not being marketed for that flight.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You get standard E+ service if PP is not being marketed for that flight.
Which means no amenity kit.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:09 pm

EWR-LHR
Does not EWR-LHR go to an all PP route soon, like now? 15 Sept 2019
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

Your contribution has a very pertinent post count number!
^
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
In that case, call me lucky cause I still got mine I’m still on the flight, Sept 14. So they definitely still haven’t made PP purchasable yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.