Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FleetFlyer
That Premium Plus roundtrip is up $500 per person this morning.
UA either sold or closed the cheap R inventory.
why was the Premium Plus cheaper than the Economy yesterday morning? Is pricing that random?
It's not random, but it is an anomaly.

If PP was cheaper than regular economy, it's because UA was selling deep discount PP inventory (R) while holding firm on the regular economy fares.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I encountered this same pricing anomaly recently when I was checking on airfare of Feb/Mar RIC-CDG-BCN/RIC for my wife. R fare was only $200 higher than Basic Economy, and $300 less than W fare. Prices went up and then down over 2 week period. I pulled the trigger when I saw $1093, and applied GPUs wait list for Polaris. I can't buy my tickets for a few more months, until I have my Business travel approved, which means my airfare will be higher, just a question of how much. I had to select the specific double connection routing to get the lowest fare. R fare went up $150 today.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I just haven't played this international airline game in the past 15 years or more, so I don't know the rules.

That Premium Plus roundtrip is up $500 per person this morning. But why was the Premium Plus cheaper than the Economy yesterday morning? Is pricing that random?
When I am logged into my MP account on United.com and searching I often encounter this. I then go and look at google flights and can get the cheaper flight that way. I do not know if united.com works out I want to fly that day and so the price goes up (feels.that way but does not necessarily mean that is the case). Or I wait a couple of weeks and the price comes back down to the lower price (no guarantee but has worked for me a couple of times). I cannot work out if a number of searches for same days and times impact what United releases - my brain says no as fare buckets are fare buckets but it happens often enough for me to pounce when the price is right (in my mind).
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
When I am logged into my MP account on United.com and searching I often encounter this. I then go and look at google flights and can get the cheaper flight that way.
googleflights will sometimes return itineraries that .com will not. And vice-verse. With all the possible fare and routing combinations, and varying search parameters, identifying and culling the list of possible itineraries can be a complex processing task. So different search engines = differing results.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA either sold or closed the cheap R inventory.
Quite possibly to OP
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:49 am

In my experience, once the R bucket is gone, it’s a steep increase to A and another big jump to O. Get the Rs early and it similar pricing to a W/V fare.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mulatto
I flew this PP product IAH-ORD recently (and will be again tomorrow). I liked the seats compared to regular E+ but the limited space in the OH bin is just dumb. My carryon wouldn't fit in it wheels first (it fits in every other UA plane except the 1-2 configurations). I had to put it in sideways which forced another passenger to have to put his bag elsewhere behind us. What was UA thinking??
Does your carryon properly fit in the sizer at the gate?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:20 am

Just checked -- last night the high Premium Economy seats were listed as A -- now they are just as high and listed as R's (?). I bought them as R's yesterday morning and now they are $500 more per ticket. We are the only 2 people who have purchased in Premium Economy -- granted there are not many seats, but still...

My 24-hour cancellation window just expired, so I'm trying out United's Premium Plus next summer! thanks for talking me through the codes, etc.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2019 at 1:20 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

Just checked -- last night the high Premium Economy seats were listed as A -- now they are just as high and listed as R's (?). I bought them as R's yesterday morning and now they are $500 more per ticket.
For travel next June, UA publishes 18 R fares for that route, with base fare ranging from $890 to $1844.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:37 pm

Looking at my ticket breakdown, my R base rate is $870 with a hefty $450 international surcharge and various fees that bring the total to $1422 per person. The fare listed on their website, for example, didn't include all those taxes and fees, which upped the check-out price mightily.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:09 pm

The fare listed on their website, for example, didn't include all those taxes and fees, which upped the check-out price mightily.
Yes it most certainly did show the all-in pricing. It would be unlawful not to show the all-in pricing, and UA adheres rigorously to that regulation.

ETA: I just ran the search myself, and the full price is displayed from the very first screen.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looking at my ticket breakdown, my R base rate is $870 with a hefty $450 international surcharge and various fees that bring the total to $1422 per person. ...
"international surcharge" is just a variable portion of the fare -- just consider it a part of the base fare.

The fare listed on their website, for example, didn't include all those taxes and fees, which upped the check-out price mightily.
On UA's website, that is a major violation of DOT rules which requires all-in pricing. Were you looking in someplace else?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:16 pm

I'm sorry -- I misspoke. I bought from United's website and just recreated the experience with today's fares. They break down the final amount into an airfare quote and a separate amount for "taxes and fees" -- which came to about $250 in my case for two tickets. The tallied total did in fact mirror the amount listed in the original fare quote. What it didn't mirror was the line items in the final receipt that arrived later. The international surcharge must, as WineCountry noted, be part of the base for these purposes.
So yes, thankfully, United is NOT violating any DOT rules and all is well. I look forward to flying with them and experiencing Premium Plus on a 787-10 Dreamliner -- as I said, first transatlantic in about 20 years for me, so I'm really looking forward to it! Hopefully that Dreamliner will stay put in EWR ...
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It will definitely be more comfortable for your husband. I just took SFO-HKG PP and posted photos a few pages earlier. Do not expect it to be like Polaris lite. Think of it like domestic first with no dedicated FAs and you won't be disappointed.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:11 am

Good OP-UP chances from PP?
Booked 31 for 24 total seats.
(Personally not on this flight but a Plat family member is and is booked in PP but have seat assignment)
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.