Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
I just flew AF SFO-CDG RT and it was awful. The food was borderline inedible (and they ran out of 2/4 options by the time they got to me on the return). The service was perfunctory at best. The cabins were very tired (though the seat was okay). I would have rather flown UA. I won't be flying them again. And while I know the two of you are talking about PE, that seat gets uniformly horrible reviews.
my one AF PE experience was on a 380 when it was new. Maybe the seat hasn’t aged well.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
My first trip in PE on UA. The last 3 trips was able to upgrade to Polaris using GPU's

Flew DXB to EWR on both LH and UA. LH was an A330-300 and UA was a 787-10.
Both flights were in the bulkhead. I did not measure the distance but UA seems to have a little bit more room.

On UA -- the seat comfort was a little better. I spent 6 hours in the LH seat and 9 hours in the UA seat.
Cabin -- the UA cabin has a divider, the LH does not.
Both bulkheads are configured for infant sleeping -- so beware.
Both seats have pull up screens. They are a little annoying. The socket for the UA headphones are in an impossible place to reach. You need to open the arm rest and it is the lower back of the seat.

Food -- UA hands down (amazing). The LH fare was the same as economy. The did offer choices from front to back, and ran out of choices toward at the last row. Full bar. Premium wine in small bottles.
Service -- again surprising -- had a good UA crew and it was much better.

Certainly prefer Polaris but PE is doable.
cesco.g, MatthewLAX and tstauck like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 3-class 772s are being retrofitted, about 2/3s have been converted and today's flight is the new configuration
You will start having a better idea about 2 days out but not for sure until you board.
Thank you very much to all who answered my question.
I will get back on the thread at a later time when nearer to the trip.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Just back from my M/R EWR-LAX, and must say I loved the 787-10 PP seat and service. Breakfast was a choice of decent eggs or pancakes, with a Bloody Mary (or your choice of beverage). Seat was very comfortable although I found the footrest a bit odd (21J). My return on the 752 In PP (10D), was a bit of a letdown. While we were given a choice of the usual chicken or pasta at no cost (both horrible), there was no complimentary wine, beer or alcohol, and my cc was charged for the small bottle of white wine.
PS- next week I’m doing EWR-SEA, and while transcon, I assume not PP?
Old May 8, 2019, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mauld
.... My return on the 752 In PP (10D), was a bit of a letdown. ....
None of UA's 752 have PP. 10D on 752 is E+, a standard economy seat with extra leg space and, on EWR-LAX, a complimentary hot entrée,

....there was no complimentary wine, beer or alcohol, and my cc was charged for the small bottle of white wine. ///
If in E+ on EWR=LAX, you should have
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
....PS- next week I’m doing EWR-SEA, and while transcon, I assume not PP?
There is no domestic PP service and if you get an aircraft with PP on a domestic flight, it will be treated as E+. EWR-SEA does not use any aircraft with PP nor is it premium transconservice, it will be standard domestic service levels.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:44 pm

If in E+ on EWR=LAX, you should have.
Guess I was a bit confused, I thought PP was on all t-con non stop EWR- LAX or SFO. Looks like the complimentary liquor is only on the 787-10 ??
Old May 8, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Guess I was a bit confused, I thought PP was on all t-con non stop EWR- LAX or SFO. ...
Some aircraft, such as 787-10 have PP seats but the service level is E+ for domestic flights. Most of the premium transcon aircraft do not have the PP seats.

Looks like the complimentary liquor is only on the 787-10 ??
No, it is part of E+ service for premium transcon flights (SFO/LAX<>EWR & SFO<>BOS) regardless of aircraft used.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2019 at 8:16 pm Reason: EWR
Old May 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Recently tried out the new Premium Plus EWR-CDG and BRU-EWR, both on 772s.

I was in 20A for both segments, the first row of PP. These felt very similar to BA's Prem Economy I flew EWR-LHR last year.

Seat was ok, certainly better than Y, but my back defintiely started to feel it. I am 6'3" and the leg rests were worthless to me. It felt like I was a good foot taller than a person who would comfortably use it.

Food was ok, both flights they were down to one choice only. I am not a fan of getting drinks in the blue plastic cups -- first world problem.

Plenty of legroom in the bulkhead, I was able to get around the person in 20B with no issues. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the price was right.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:08 am

Some aircraft, such as 787-10 have PP seats but the service level is E+ for domestic flights. Most of the premium transcon aircraft do not have the PP seats.

No, it is part of E+ service for premium transcon flights (SFO/LAX<>EWR & SFO<>BOS) regardless of aircraft used.
Then maybe someone should alert the FA's, as I saw all of them using the card readers for anyone in E+ ordering beer, wine etc.

Its been 4 days now, and the charge has NOT appeared on my AMEX, so perhaps the situation was rectified.

Last edited by mauld; May 11, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old May 9, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Continental
I've seen them charge for drinks also.

I usually tell them they should not be charged
I've found that it happens more often with a pmco crew.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How bad are the middle 2 seats of the 2-4-2 777-300? Is it worked taking a suboptimal routing, or changing airlines (I can fly LH on UA ticket stock for the same price and earn the same PQD/PQM). Those PE window seats seem to be a hot commodity -- they are gone on every flight I check.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How bad are the middle 2 seats of the 2-4-2 777-300? ...
Bulkhead? Better than any E+ middle -- exit row. Easy to get out with bothering the ailseperson
In any case, for non-bulkhead better than any normal E+ middle.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bulkhead? Better than any E+ middle -- exit row. Easy to get out with bothering the ailseperson
My bar is higher than "better than E+ middle". It's an 11hr flight. If I fly economy I can get E+ window (for significantly cheaper).
Old May 12, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I've found that it happens more often with a pmco crew.
I thought the crew was amalgamated nowadays, and not dissociable between pmCO and pmUA any longer?
Old May 12, 2019, 5:00 pm

How bad are the middle 2 seats of the 2-4-2 777-300? ...
Bulkhead? Better than any E+ middle -- exit row. Easy to get out with bothering the aisle person
My bar is higher than "better than E+ middle". It's an 11hr flight. If I fly economy I can get E+ window (for significantly cheaper).
How do you want an answer to "How bad are ..... ?" beyond what you know already -- PP has wider seats, more pitch and more recline, better food, .... what those mean to any one person is subjective. If you value a window higher than those, then that is what you should chose.

Or was this a rhetorical question?
Silver Fox and SFHokie like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.