Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Looking at the Earn Miles on United Flights page, it says L,T,G (amongst a dozen others) earn 100% PQM and 1 PQS. However, upon looking at the exclusions section of the page it says:

Hence, it is somewhat opaque to me what will happen when Economy Light fares get lighter. I would be surprised if UA doesn't honour the PQM/RDM listed on the flight I purchased, since from reading these forums it appears that UA will honour that request when its on UA stock and metal. In any event, next year will likely be more challenging for me to re-gain Gold status...we'll have to wait and see what happens here (and hope that light doesn't come to TPAC flights where you can earn serious mileage).

Safe Travels,

James
because so far as far as I know basic economy only books into N. Light TATL books into fare classes that are currently eligible for 100% pqm accrual. Whether that changes in the future is yet to be seen. But domestic 50%pqm accrual for basic economy is actually an improvement although I’ll still stay away from it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:59 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Mod edit - please use this thread to discuss the specific nuances of UA's Basic Economy product for the TATL (transatlantic) market.

For general Basic Economy discussion, please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cussion-q.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I booked in July this year from LHR - LAX with my son a United Basic Economy Fare, at the time the fare codes showed full 100% mileage qualifying. This has now been reduced to 50%, do you think I have grounds to contact them and ask for the 109%? Separately I have a P fare booked months before the change to 150% that I understand they will honour?

Thanks

Trappy United 1k
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Given they decided to honor the P fares booked before the change (you have to ask for this after it credits), it seems like a reasonable ask here too.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:59 pm

When they changed P from 200% to 150% effective January 1, they did grandfather in purchases that had been made before the announcement. I'd hope they'd do the same thing here, but there's never any guarantee; they reserve the right to change the earnings at any point.
I would be surprised if I earned less than 100% PQM on my March flight to LAX which wasn't sold as Economy Basic, but rather Economy (no changes/refunds, upgrades) - at least that's what the email says. My only regret now was not purchasing a bunch of TATL tickets before Dec 11, 2018 - a date that will remain in infamy with us UA loyalist who value BIS over PQD! These new Economy Basic fares are really awful, no E+ and 50% PQM?! Heck I could even put up with a middle seat E- if it meant 100% PQM but that's a bridge too far. Looks like I'll need to route my TATL journeys via the Pacific to avoid this nonsense (and to rack up the miles).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like I'll need to route my TATL journeys via the Pacific to avoid this nonsense (and to rack up the miles).
If you want 100% PQM, don't buy the Basic Economy fare. You can't route TATL fares via the Pacific. Aside from the hassle, it's going to come out significantly more expensive than regular economy TATL.

I don't like it either, but there's no reason to cut off your nose to spite your face.

For me, the lack of changes on BE tickets is a complete non-starter anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Sometimes I wish they go fully a-la-carte pricing. I haven't checked a bag in over a decade, yet if I want full PQM, I (now) have to buy regular Economy and the baggage portion of my fare is wasted.

Alternately, give me a rebate (cash or ETC) for agreeing not to check a bag. The new TATL fare restrictions seem like the worst of all worlds for me.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Sometimes I wish they go fully a-la-carte pricing.
If anything, it would make things worse. People, as a group, are terrible at making purchasing decisions based upon total deferred cost. ULCCs often manage to collect as much, if not more, from each passenger as full-service carriers; they just do it in smaller pieces so it's harder to track and to notice.

While UA would roll such a program out, with fanfare, as a 'new discount,' within a year or two the base unbundled price would have climbed to where the bundled price was at launch. You'd pay the same as you do today; people who do check a bag would just pay more. The only people who'd profit are United.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Sometimes I wish they go fully a-la-carte pricing. I haven't checked a bag in over a decade, yet if I want full PQM, I (now) have to buy regular Economy and the baggage portion of my fare is wasted.

Alternately, give me a rebate (cash or ETC) for agreeing not to check a bag. The new TATL fare restrictions seem like the worst of all worlds for me.
The sort of already do (I think). I would imagine you could purchase a PQM accelerator for the flight to make up for the lost PQM for the fare class. What's unclear to me is whether such offers will be made for these tickets and what the pricing works out (i.e. would it be better to buy the "full" Economy fare). Also if UA wants me to fork out another $100-$200 for full Y, why don't I spend the extra $200-$300 to go PY on say AC/LH, get the 150% milage credit and the better seating/service?

What kind of blows about this whole development though is the lack of E+ seating benefits for Premier members. While you and I may argue about the necessity of checked baggage allowances, I doubt anyone on this forum would argue with the need for an E+ seat for TATL journeys, particularly the longer ones (say to LAX).

Safe Travels,

James

I should also note that other * partners like OZ and A3 also provide 50% milage crediting to deep discount and economy basic tickets. Given A3 will award you *Gold status for flying just 24,000 miles across * partners (given you've flown 4 times with A3 in a year) and allow you to renew for as little as 12,000 miles per year, it makes you wonder why you should stick with UA for crediting miles. OZ on the other hand will award up to 4 years of *Gold if you finish the rat race quickly, and offers lifetime *Gold once you hit 500,000 miles on * partners. To add insult to injury your A3 membership will grant you access to UC when flying domestically!

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2018 at 5:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sort of already do (I think). I would imagine you could purchase a PQM accelerator for the flight to make up for the lost PQM for the fare class. What's unclear to me is whether such offers will be made for these tickets and what the pricing works out (i.e. would it be better to buy the "full" Economy fare).
It's perfectly clear. The best Premier Accelerator rate I've ever seen reported was $0.08/mile. Even a short flight like EWR-LHR is 7000 miles RT. You'd pay at least $300 for Premier Accelerator; the buy-up to regular economy is hovering around $100-$150 RT.

Also if UA wants me to fork out another $100-$200 for full Y, why don't I spend the extra $200-$300 to go PY on say AC/LH, get the 150% milage credit and the better seating/service?
UA would be perfectly happy for you to do that, given the joint venture. However, there are a lot more Y seats on the plane than PY seats, so clearly not everyone will have this option, and the price difference adds up quickly if you're traveling as part of a group.

While you and I may argue about the necessity of checked baggage allowances, I doubt anyone on this forum would argue with the need for an E+ seat for TATL journeys, particularly the longer ones (say to LAX).
UA understands this; that's specifically why E+ is excluded. TATL BE is intended to be a fare increase the same way that domestic BE was.

I should also note that other * partners like OZ and A3 also provide 50% milage crediting to deep discount and economy basic tickets. Given A3 will award you *Gold status for flying just 24,000 miles across * partners (given you've flown 4 times with A3 in a year) and allow you to renew for as little as 12,000 miles per year, it makes you wonder why you should stick with UA for crediting miles. OZ on the other hand will award up to 4 years of *Gold if you finish the rat race quickly, and offers lifetime *Gold once you hit 500,000 miles on * partners. To add insult to injury your A3 membership will grant you access to UC when flying domestically!
United Club access costs about $500 per year. (Whether or not it's worth it is another question entirely). That's significantly less expensive than taking a trip to Greece specifically so that I could fly A3. Furthermore, many (most?) MileagePlus members do most of their travel on United, and UA Gold are treated better than non-UA *G in areas other than lounge access (when not flying on a BE ticket, anyway) -- E+ at booking, additional redeemable mileage earnings, a better luggage allowance, etc.

Also, the majority of travelers are never going to fly 500,000 miles in their lifetime (it's a lot!) -- or, if they are, and if it's within a single alliance, the rules will have changed by the time they get there. If OZ finds itself paying an exorbitant amount of money to other *A airlines for lounge access, you can believe they'll increase their lifetime status earnings requirement. And if you think that other airlines aren't going to start cutting PQM rates for BE travel (or that UA won't start cutting MileagePlus earnings for other airlines' BE), I promise you that you're wrong.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA understands this; that's specifically why E+ is excluded. TATL BE is intended to be a fare increase the same way that domestic BE was.
At this point I can't even get upset about it. The $500 r/t price point that has settled in from the West Coast to Europe is really borderline insanity. Imagine telling someone in 1975 they could go to Europe for $54 each way. Whether or not it's set by DY/WW, it just feels.. acceptable for it to be BE. (Yes, spoken from someone who has never paid less than a W fare to cross an ocean, but still...)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by findark
At this point I can't even get upset about it. The $500 r/t price point that has settled in from the West Coast to Europe is really borderline insanity. Imagine telling someone in 1975 they could go to Europe for $54 each way. Whether or not it's set by DY/WW, it just feels.. acceptable for it to be BE. (Yes, spoken from someone who has never paid less than a W fare to cross an ocean, but still...)
$500 between US West coast and Europe is insanely expensive! I'm seeing some stuff with BA and AA for around $313 USD in Economy Basic (see MAN to SFO in June). IMHO UA needs to tread lightly with BE else they will be undercut by the legacies!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The $500 r/t price point that has settled in from the West Coast to Europe is really borderline insanity.
$500 between US West coast and Europe is insanely expensive!
That pretty much sums it up right there.

I can see both sides. It makes no sense that it costs more to fly from Cincinnati to Newark than from San Francisco to Manchester, but that's the world the airlines have created and now they're stuck trying to make the best of it that they can.

At some point, we, as customers, have to understand that the more we value price above all else, the poorer the experience is going to be. I don't like to pay more, but I will do so in order to get a better product. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that it's gotten increasingly difficult to compare equivalent products.
findark likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:59 am

At some point, we, as customers, have to understand that the more we value price above all else, the poorer the experience is going to be. I don't like to pay more, but I will do so in order to get a better product. My biggest issue with the whole thing is that it's gotten increasingly difficult to compare equivalent products.
Bring it in! I await seeing Premium Economy Basic and Business Basic products!: At the end of the day BISness is all that matters

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If anything, it would make things worse. People, as a group, are terrible at making purchasing decisions based upon total deferred cost. ULCCs often manage to collect as much, if not more, from each passenger as full-service carriers; they just do it in smaller pieces so it's harder to track and to notice.

While UA would roll such a program out, with fanfare, as a 'new discount,' within a year or two the base unbundled price would have climbed to where the bundled price was at launch. You'd pay the same as you do today; people who do check a bag would just pay more. The only people who'd profit are United.
I agree that introducing Basic Economy (probably) leads to a net increase in total travel expenditure for the average person.

Hence my rebate proposal rather than reducing the upfront cost of standard economy. I'd be incentivized to not check bags, and I get an ETC that encourages me to fly UA again in the near future. For example, the hypothetical LAX-IAD runs in the neighborhood of $260 BE, $300 otherwise; if I paid for full economy and agreed not to check a bag, I'd get say, a $15 ETC. This assumes that Basic Economy is profitable on its own (rather than being a loss leader).

On a similar note: I find the notion of "no changes permitted" absurd -- the point of nonrefundable+change fee is that you're agreeing to fly on the indicated time and date, or are willing to incur a significant penalty otherwise. In other words: with LGT-fares, I now have to pay a little bit more for the privilege of being able to pay a not-insignificant sum to change my ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.