Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:14 pm

I have a LH flight in J from terminal B. Will I be allowed past TSA and then allowed in to polaris?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by airzim
I’m curious about all the positive reviews. I was there last Saturday night and I was appalled at how bad the service was in the dining room. Dirty dishes left for long periods, took almost an hour to actually get my dish (the fish which was tiny and served cold) after being looked after by four different servers, who’s English was not great and clearly weren’t taking to each other. Had to ask three times for a refill of water glass. Finally gave up in the dining room after waiting 20 minutes for another bar drink, went to the bar which had 4 or 5 people waiting, only two bartenders, one dedicated to filling orders from the servers and the second announcing that she was going on break. I was just dumbfounded.

I walked out. Proceeded to tell the front door staff how awful and experience this was. They looked like deer in the headlights. Couldn’t believe that I was saying their new lounge was a joke.

I will never use the Dining Room again until they staff and manage this properly. This is not rocket science. 1 server handles the same customer. Then a floor manager to expedite, clean up, refill water, keep things moving.

You can’t spend millions on a lounge and cheap out on the execution.
Sounds like the bar service Saturday evening inside the club at the Belmont Stakes. "hey we're going to be slammed but we're not going to staff up."

Good that you told them. Better if it's in writing since I doubt the people you told would know what to pass on.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not sure how you will know it is managed properly if you never go agian.

Given the multiple other positives reviews (some mentioning some rough spots), you may have hit a "bad" patch. It was still the first week of operation and one needs to expect a certain amount of startup issues. If this had been after a month or two operation that would have been something different IMO but this early after startup -- for some it may have been their first day.

Suggest you give it a second try before you give up.
Perhaps, but not for a while. First impressions do matter. I'm a long time UA/CO advocate and give them the benefit of the doubt nearly all the time. This lounge was a huge let down. My expectations based on some of the reviews just didn't live up to the hype. It's nice, but I wasn't really blown away like some.

Richard Quest was there at the same time, he did a walk in to the Dining Room turned around and left after a few minutes. Wonder if that'll make it on CNN?

Based on sitting there for an hour, the pattern was repeated for a few other parties. People standing by the "wait to be seated sign" and nobody would approach you after 5 minutes. One party of 6 asked to be seated together, and the server said to them, they'll have to sit separately since it was illegal (that was the word he used) to push the tables together. Very odd. I then noticed that all tables were two tops. Did they not expect families or more than 2 people to sit together?

I just wouldn't waste my time on a sit down meal. Buffet appeared adequate, but I didn't try it.

They are understaffed in the Dining Room and bar based on what I saw.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by airzim

You can’t spend millions on a <insert name of product or service> and cheap out on the execution.
Now, now - let's not attack United's core business strategy and culture.

I will have my first Polaris Lounge experience at SFO in a few weeks. I assume with an early morning arrival around 8am from my origination point (ONT), the place shouldn't be a zoo for another few hours until the Asian flight check-ins and connections get into full swing, so I will be able to test the quiet mode and the busy mode in the same morning during my 6hr layover. The EWR lounge sounds like it could be a zoo all day long.

On the way back, arriving from NRT, I am torn about going directly to the Polaris Lounge for my shower and breakfast, or going to the SFO Arrivals Lounge where I usually clean up, and perhaps stopping by Polaris for lunch before departing back for ONT. Has anyone experienced issues or refused being let in as an arriving Polaris customer, departing on a domestic connection at any of the Polaris lounges?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bocastephen
On the way back, arriving from NRT, I am torn about going directly to the Polaris Lounge for my shower and breakfast, or going to the SFO Arrivals Lounge where I usually clean up, and perhaps stopping by Polaris for lunch before departing back for ONT. Has anyone experienced issues or refused being let in as an arriving Polaris customer, departing on a domestic connection at any of the Polaris lounges?
I flew SIN-SFO-ORD and was welcomed into the Polaris Lounge at ORD with zero issue or attitude.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
It's a published benefit. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: spg-gold,marriott-gold,priority-platinum,united-1K
Looks nice! Hope the food servings match the decor quality
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lulubell
Looks nice! Hope the food servings match the decor quality
the burger looked to be a decent size. Risotto, cod and lamb were all very small portions.

Service and and food was excellent when we went on June 11
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
With this lounge open, is the United Club in Terminal C accepting one time passes now?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Now, now - let's not attack United's core business strategy and culture.

I will have my first Polaris Lounge experience at SFO in a few weeks. I assume with an early morning arrival around 8am from my origination point (ONT), the place shouldn't be a zoo for another few hours until the Asian flight check-ins and connections get into full swing, so I will be able to test the quiet mode and the busy mode in the same morning during my 6hr layover. The EWR lounge sounds like it could be a zoo all day long.

early morning when you arrive is actually one of the busiest times because of international arrivals/connections.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I have a LH flight in J from terminal B. Will I be allowed past TSA and then allowed in to polaris?
If you are departing on an LH flight in F or J then you have access, but getting to C will depend on the TSA. Note if you arrive on LH you don't have access.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I flew SIN-SFO-ORD and was welcomed into the Polaris Lounge at ORD with zero issue or attitude.
I am soon flying ARN-EWR-ATL all on UA, do I only give them my EWR-ATL bp or do I need to give them my inbound one as well?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I am soon flying ARN-EWR-ATL all on UA, do I only give them my EWR-ATL bp or do I need to give them my inbound one as well?
Typically, you need to hand them your incoming international polaris ticket on entry.

The other day, I flew BOM-EWR-CLE, I gave them the used BOM-EWR boarding pass upon entry.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Typically, you need to hand them your incoming international polaris ticket on entry.

The other day, I flew BOM-EWR-CLE, I gave them the used BOM-EWR boarding pass upon entry.
Same routine with my PVG-EWR boarding pass Friday. A few notes about that visit:

• No wait for a shower a few minutes before 7 p.m. Friday.

• The hot buffet wasn't as interesting as what I remember seeing on offer at ORD last June, but I also didn't need much more than a miniature chicken BLT sandwich and a helping of some pasta in a delicious cream sauce.

• After I ordered a Paper Plane cocktail (which did come with a tiny plane cutout pinned to the rim of the glass), I enjoyed the unintentional comedy of people wandering up to the bar and asking for "a glass of red wine," as if the place were a UC with better countertops.

• The only dessert option at the buffet is an assortment of macarons.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just as a point of comparison, my breakfast came out in seven minutes.
My salad, the fish with cauliflower , and one cannoli along with multiple beverages all came out on time and with a smile.. as an aside, the chicken Parm from the buffet is simply fantastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.