Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
As a general rule, I am NEVER in favor of differentiating between "paid" full fare and discount fare/upgrade/award for ANY benefits. They should always be treated as EQUALS....
Agree on this. One exception would be who gets upgraded to GF cabin in a 3-class cabin. No issue there giving it to high-end fares.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by pigx5
I was there on Jun 1 and I really loved it.
The food tasted much better than the food at the Polaris SFO.
Click here to see all the pics!!

It's a great lounge!!!

United Polaris Lounge EWR!
Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Nice visit yesterday afternoon. Had table dinner, with polenta fries and pizza appetizers, and the lamb dish and burger as mains. They have local craft beer available, also Nikka Japanese whisky. Pizza kinda bland, all else was great.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the pictures and reviews. Headed to bcn tomorrow with the family and we’re all excited to check it out!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Of note, it was pretty full by 4:30pm.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Great Napkins!

One more thing that I forgot to mention. They have very nice, and very strong, napkins (not the cocktail napkins with UA's logo). I took a few with me and am using one today, and I am amazed at how durable they are even when wet. They are very high quality, and a pleasant surprise in this age of biodegradable stuff that literally falls apart in your hands.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Actually I'm still here… I really don't think the PS crowd should be admitted, it's a nice haven for business class. And PS can be utilized with an RPU and will dilute the experience. The cod over the puréed cauliflower it's quite nice

pointy end of p.s. is business class.

Regardless, while I think it's a bad business decision to deny PL access given the better offerings by AA and DL, I'm indifferent to p.s. J PL access. Excepting for the shower issue, referbed UCs in SFO/LAX/EWR would suffice for me. YMMV.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jun 11, 2018 at 12:31 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Yes, this place is great. I can recognize the outlines of the old United Club, but it feels more like they surgically removed that and transplanted in a lounge from somewhere in Europe or Asia.

The breakfast buffet features the usual pastries, oatmeal and yogurt parfaits but also offers scrambled eggs, tater tots, egg-and-cheese burritos, and what looked like real bagels with a selection of cream-cheese spreads including smoked salmon and kimchi. I opted for sit-down dining instead and got the eggs benedict instead; both eggs had the right degree of runniness, and the vinegary dressing on the tomatoes balanced out the saltiness of the rest of the plate. The bloody mary, in turn, started with an anise-infused vodka that gave it a lot more subtlety than the "cover up cheap vodka with a lot of heat" drink I expect at airport lounges.

I guess it wasn't such a bad idea to get up at 4:30 a.m. for the 6 a.m. DCA-EWR flight and then leave myself with three-plus hours to while away here...

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Do we know the operating times? I looked on united.com and couldnt find anything.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Went yesterday for the first time for a 3-hour layover between HKG-EWR-IAH. Enjoyed it. Took a shower but the room temperature was quite hot so it didn't "take" for the first 15 minutes. Not that crowded at this time of day (plenty of seating in the restaurant), though I imagine the evening is a different story. Didn't do the sit-down dining but the chicken parmesan at the buffet was quite delicious (albeit not hot enough; none of the hot food at the buffet appears to be heated). Plenty of seating in different formations. I enjoyed the Polaris-inspired cubicles as at ORD. Two glasses of champagne were tasty (wish they had a brut rose though). Generally pleased. Looking forward to IAH!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I just published my full review here with over 100 photos (disclaimer - link to my blog).

This is a beautiful lounge with great food and drink. I am so impressed, considering how pathetically crowded and run-down this space was before as a United Club.

Originally Posted by nyr2299
Do we know the operating times? I looked on united.com and couldnt find anything.
4:30a - 10:45p
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, *G, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Went for the first time today around noon before EWR-SFO-SIN journey. The short line of people in front of me as I entered all got denied access because they weren't traveling long haul business class. Lounge was basically empty at that time. The young lady who greeted me as I made my way into the lounge talked me into having a meal at the dining room. I was there alone and tried the flatbread pizza (w/out prosciutto) which was fantastic. I initially said no to desert until I was told they had cannolis... yes please! Finished it off with an espresso. The service was phenomenal. Though the experience was very brief, I was very, very impressed.

(typing this from SFO Polaris lounge)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:13 am

I’m curious about all the positive reviews. I was there last Saturday night and I was appalled at how bad the service was in the dining room. Dirty dishes left for long periods, took almost an hour to actually get my dish (the fish which was tiny and served cold) after being looked after by four different servers, who’s English was not great and clearly weren’t taking to each other. Had to ask three times for a refill of water glass. Finally gave up in the dining room after waiting 20 minutes for another bar drink, went to the bar which had 4 or 5 people waiting, only two bartenders, one dedicated to filling orders from the servers and the second announcing that she was going on break. I was just dumbfounded.

I walked out. Proceeded to tell the front door staff how awful and experience this was. They looked like deer in the headlights. Couldn’t believe that I was saying their new lounge was a joke.

I will never use the Dining Room again until they staff and manage this properly. This is not rocket science. 1 server handles the same customer. Then a floor manager to expedite, clean up, refill water, keep things moving.

You can’t spend millions on a lounge and cheap out on the execution.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airzim
....I will never use the Dining Room again until they staff and manage this properly. This is not rocket science. 1 server handles the same customer. Then a floor manager to expedite, clean up, refill water, keep things moving. ....
Not sure how you will know it is managed properly if you never go agian.

Given the multiple other positives reviews (some mentioning some rough spots), you may have hit a "bad" patch. It was still the first week of operation and one needs to expect a certain amount of startup issues. If this had been after a month or two operation that would have been something different IMO but this early after startup -- for some it may have been their first day.

Suggest you give it a second try before you give up.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airzim
I’m curious about all the positive reviews. I was there last Saturday night and I was appalled at how bad the service was in the dining room. Dirty dishes left for long periods, took almost an hour to actually get my dish (the fish which was tiny and served cold) after being looked after by four different servers, who’s English was not great and clearly weren’t taking to each other. Had to ask three times for a refill of water glass. Finally gave up in the dining room after waiting 20 minutes for another bar drink, went to the bar which had 4 or 5 people waiting, only two bartenders, one dedicated to filling orders from the servers and the second announcing that she was going on break. I was just dumbfounded.

I walked out. Proceeded to tell the front door staff how awful and experience this was. They looked like deer in the headlights. Couldn’t believe that I was saying their new lounge was a joke.

I will never use the Dining Room again until they staff and manage this properly. This is not rocket science. 1 server handles the same customer. Then a floor manager to expedite, clean up, refill water, keep things moving.

You can’t spend millions on a lounge and cheap out on the execution.
Just as a point of comparison, my breakfast came out in seven minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.