Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sonyeoshin
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 5:00a - 10:30p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:43 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
At 10:30AM they would not let us order anything off the small plates or lunch/dinner menu (despite the fact that as we were seated they were rolling out all of the lunch food for the buffet), so we each ordered a breakfast sandwich which was supposed to be bacon, egg, and cheese on an everything bagel. As plated it was egg and a bit of bacon on a plain bagel with no cheese. We should have just made our own at the buffet and spared ourselves the lengthy wait for service and food. The menu makes clear that breakfast is served only until 11AM and not after that, but does not make clear that the small plates etc. cannot be served before 11AM. Taking into account that many diners are arriving after lengthy international flights from different time zones, it is inconvenient to offer only a breakfast menu. Disappointing experience, considering that this is the third time we have tried to eat in the Polaris dining room and the first time we were actually able to get a table.
dutchpacific likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Why is the EWR always so crowded in the evenings? They should have designed the lounge to handle the crowd. Can people not flying J enter the Polaris lounge…like GS? If so I think it is time to end that benefit. I was just in the club a few days back at 4pm and it was crazy crowded. Long wait for dinner. No phone booths were free so I took a call in the shower area lobby (the agent laughed but said 5 other people had already done the same this evening). UA can do better and they should do better. Oh and I agree what is the deal on not letting people sit down when you have open tables in the dining area (which is already small). Hire more staff then.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Why is the EWR always so crowded in the evenings? They should have designed the lounge to handle the crowd. Can people not flying J enter the Polaris lounge…like GS? If so I think it is time to end that benefit. I was just in the club a few days back at 4pm and it was crazy crowded. Long wait for dinner. No phone booths were free so I took a call in the shower area lobby (the agent laughed but said 5 other people had already done the same this evening). UA can do better and they should do better. Oh and I agree what is the deal on not letting people sit down when you have open tables in the dining area (which is already small). Hire more staff then.
PL does not admit any pax who does not fly J, GS or not.
The overcrowding is due to too many TATL flights departing from EWR. More flights will be added next summer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Can people not flying J enter the Polaris lounge…like GS?
No GS if not in Polaris J, no.
People flying *A J (if eligible) also, and *A First can enter with a guest.
​​​​
EWR is crowded because there's lots of flights with lots of J seats.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by narvik
No GS if not in Polaris J, no.
People flying *A J (if eligible) also, and *A First can enter with a guest.
​​​​
EWR is crowded because there's lots of flights with lots of J seats.
Ok totally hear you. Given the lounge is fairly new and UA knows its schedule, shouldn’t they have built a lounge that can accomodate the people? Also is proper staffing really that hard (month after month? In the 20 years I have flown VS upper class, never once did I have an issue at the LHR clubhouse in getting a sit down meal when I connected onward or arrived for a flight back to NYC. If VS can have a properly sized and staffed lounge in London, I think UA can have one in Newark.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Why is the EWR always so crowded in the evenings? They should have designed the lounge to handle the crowd.
Well yeah, they designed and opened this lounge in 2018 when they had morning/mid-day flights to East Asia and evening flights to Europe and late night flights to India/TLV. Flights were relatively spaced out. Now after COVID and airspace restrictions, flights (and demand) are geared towards evening flights to Europe with added flights and added J passengers. All of which ends up crowding the lounge from 3-7PM.

Same goes for IAD and ORD Polaris lounges. And SFO gets crowded due to all the added Oceania and Asia flights.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... In the 20 years I have flown VS upper class, never once did I have an issue at the LHR clubhouse in getting a sit down meal when I connected onward or arrived for a flight back to NYC. If VS can have a properly sized and staffed lounge in London, I think UA can have one in Newark.
The size of the UA and partner long haul EWR operations are significant larger / number of passengers (UA does not have Intl F, just Business) and there is limited amount of space at most UA hubs. It has taken UA years to increase the size of the UCs which were far more crowded.

It has been speculated that people are spending far longer time in the PL than anticipated.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2023 at 10:21 pm Reason: UA does not have Intl F, just Business
Old Dec 17, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It has been speculated that people are spending fare longer time in the PL than anticipated.
Ah, interesting; never even considered that, but that makes perfect sense.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: UAL
12/20, here now. Entered at 15.10hrs with the college age daughter. Not too busy. We even managed to get two spots by the window, it's our thing since she was little , watching planes take off from the Ikea restaurant by the airport. She had the piri piri chicken from the buffet and it was good. I sampled the brussels sprouts with butternut squash, delicious. Barman mixed me a perfect gin martini. Shirley temple for the kid. Restaurant busy but not crazy. We decided to eat on the plane. My only gripe is being too far from the bar with my foot in a cast....
UA_Flyer and as219 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Tuesday evening (late departure), lounge was rather empty. Buffet was kind of sad, but I have seen worse.

Their new cheap champagne was terrible - yuck. Luckily they still had Prisoner, so at least a decent red to drink
laughinlab2001 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
Luckily they still had Prisoner, so at least a decent red to drink
Costco sells it for $40+ per bottle. This is more than a decent wine for my tasting skill.😀
SPN Lifer and laughinlab2001 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Costco sells it for $40+ per bottle. This is more than a decent wine for my tasting skill.😀
Definitely. $52 from the winery and I think high $30s is the best I have seen. Very drinkable.

They didn't have it in their line up of bottles, but they had it when I asked
SPN Lifer and laughinlab2001 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Tuesday evening (late departure), lounge was rather empty. Buffet was kind of sad, but I have seen worse.

Their new cheap champagne was terrible - yuck. Luckily they still had Prisoner, so at least a decent red to drink
What was the new champagne?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It has been speculated that people are spending far longer time in the PL than anticipated.
I think one reason for this is that folks know that the food and drinks on the planes are, ahem, subpar, so they are trying to make up for it in the lounge.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The EWR United Club buffets are better than Polaris Lounge at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.