Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
13 Nov Visit 230-4 pm

Not that crowded when I entered but much more so when I left. 15 minute wait for dining room.

I thought the pork belly bao and chicken schnitzel were both tasty and well presented. The chicken was thin and extra crispy so a bit hard to cut with the butter knife but perseverance saved the day.

Champagne is Lanson.

Buffet looked sad.

Table placard could use some pizzazz.

narvik likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by st530
Not that crowded when I entered but much more so when I left. 15 minute wait for dining room.

I thought the pork belly bao and chicken schnitzel were both tasty and well presented. The chicken was thin and extra crispy so a bit hard to cut with the butter knife but perseverance saved the day.

Champagne is Lanson.

Buffet looked sad.

Table placard could use some pizzazz.

The schnitzel looks quite overfried tho... Should be closer to "golden" than "dark brown"...
st530, m.y and goodeats21 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by physioprof
The schnitzel looks quite overfried tho... Should be closer to "golden" than "dark brown"...
And doesn't really look like an entre portion size to me.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And doesn't really look like an entre portion size to me.
It isn't. It's more like a (small) appetizer portion. I had it a few weeks ago and it was cooked to perfection IMHO. But they don't seem to mind when I order multiple dishes of stuff, although I don't go crazy.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ijgordon
...(e.g., at 8pm I was told a 20 minute wait for a dining table but it only took about 15; at 6pm a month earlier it was 45 minutes)....
I agree on timing, it's mainly the afternoon-early evening rush.

8pm? how late is the dining room open these days? I thought they closed at 8.

Originally Posted by rch4u
United Club food is better than Polaris Lounge. It's pathetic.
Can you give examples? ie. best foods in UC vs best foods in Polaris?
I've always found the Polaris lounge superior in terms of food, I haven't been to the UC for a few months, did they improve their food offerings that much?
I'd agree if one said that most restaurants have better food but that's not really a fair comparison
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by eng3
Can you give examples? ie. best foods in UC vs best foods in Polaris?
I've always found the Polaris lounge superior in terms of food, I haven't been to the UC for a few months, did they improve their food offerings that much?
I'd agree if one said that most restaurants have better food but that's not really a fair comparison
It's funny. I often think this @LAX. But I'm comparing what they put on the buffet line (which at LAX seems to always be "nothing hot") to the UC. I'm just not a fan of being segregated into the "dining area" to order food, so I usually skip that. As a result, sometimes I find myself longing for the UC offerings. But I realize I'm just an outlier on this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
...(which at LAX seems to always be "nothing hot")....
Sparse long-haul int'l departures during day mean buffet items could be sitting out a long time. LAX does have the best bartenders and cocktail menu - that goes a long way in my book...
Old Nov 16, 2023, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Sparse long-haul int'l departures during day mean buffet items could be sitting out a long time. LAX does have the best bartenders and cocktail menu - that goes a long way in my book...
Don't disagree. I'm usually on the later LHR flight. But all the people there are great, and I love the lounge. UA runs a really good ship at LAX overall.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It's funny. I often think this @LAX. But I'm comparing what they put on the buffet line (which at LAX seems to always be "nothing hot") to the UC. I'm just not a fan of being segregated into the "dining area" to order food, so I usually skip that. As a result, sometimes I find myself longing for the UC offerings. But I realize I'm just an outlier on this.
It's been a while since I've been to LAX. I assume the OP was referring to the EWR UC. Even just comparing only buffet lines, I prefer the PL over the UC.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: UAL
4pm today, Nov 17. Packed. Didn't even bother to ask how long the wait was for the restaurant. Buffet looked decent, sandwiches were fresh. Quick service at the bar.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:30 am
pjs

Stalking LH F space for next week and EWR-FRA is a possible option. Will have to fly up from ATL to EWR and will not be checking bags. Anyone know if I can get directly to PL if I land at C or via bus if I land at A if I'm not checking bags. In other words, can I check in online with LH and get BP to get into the PL before I head over to B for the flight? My ATL-EWR ticket will be separate from the LH reservation. Thx
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by pjs
Stalking LH F space for next week and EWR-FRA is a possible option. Will have to fly up from ATL to EWR and will not be checking bags. Anyone know if I can get directly to PL if I land at C or via bus if I land at A if I'm not checking bags. In other words, can I check in online with LH and get BP to get into the PL before I head over to B for the flight? My ATL-EWR ticket will be separate from the LH reservation. Thx
I don't see why not. There was one report a few months back of an LH flyer being denied entry to C by TSA based on a B BP, but since you'll already be airside, that shouldn't be an issue.
pjs likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:54 am

Am here today from around 10am to about 7:30 pmthe only way to get a Z fare to CPT was a long layover here, saving me $3k

The place was a ghost town here at 10. Started picking up around 12:30 or so and was crowded by 3:30. Very crowded but not overfull by 5.

Lunch was the best buffet meal Ive had in a UA club. Roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan and garlic; orecchiette with brown butter, sage, and mushrooms; peri peri chicken. Much much better than the crunchy pancakes and rubbery eggs I had at IAD this AM.

Sadly, the dinner and lunch menus are the same.

I like the layout and view of the tarmac from the IAD lounge better, though.
SPN Lifer and dutchpacific like this.

Last edited by prometa; Dec 6, 2023 at 3:51 pm
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My first Polaris experience and this lounge was super crowded late afternoon - hard pressed to find a decent seating area for two people. I assume it is crowded with all the people waiting to board the multitude of evening flights to Europe. It started to get a little quieter towards 6PM. Reading some earlier posts this appears to be frenzy period. I felt bad for the staff. The wait for the restaurant was around 10 minutes fortunately. My traveling companion felt this was the best club she's been to so far (we haven't done the ME carrier lounges yet). Salmon was quite good, should have asked for another of those. The desserts were a bit iffy but the ice cream was very good.

Some of the furniture was already in need of TLC though.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 16, 2023 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:26 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Here in the EWR Polaris lounge now. We arrived around 9AM after an intercontinental overnight flight and did not eat breakfast on board as we knew the lounge offerings would be better. Upon arrival, only 3 diners were seated in the dining area, we were first in the queue with several other hungry parties queued up behind us, and still we were told there would be a 30-45 minute wait. (!!!) I really don't get it. The dining room was virtually empty. It seemed there were two staff working the dining area. We've now made a reservation to eat at 10:30AM so will see how it goes, but how can it be possible that they can only accommodate three diners at one time???
dutchpacific likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.